Options

CCNA or CCENT? Unsure!

bostianzbostianz Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just passed my Security+ exam today. That now gives me a Network+ and Security+ under my belt.

Does anyone have any advice on whether to pursue CCNA or CCENT next?

What is the difference?
Which is more viable?
Are both going to be needed for future jobs in network/security regardless?
Which is easier?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCENT is Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician, it's Cisco's beginner certification. The CCNA is comprised of two exams, ICND 1 & 2. You can get your CCENT by taking ICND 1. Once you take ICND 2 and pass you'll be a CCNA...I believe you can take both exams at once, seperate OR I think they have a composite exam which mixes both exams into one...i'm sure all the info is on Cisco's wesbite
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    djentlemetaldjentlemetal Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CCENT = ICND1 100-101 exam. CCNA = ICND2 200-101 exam or you can take the composite exam, 200-120, (both at once) which will get you the full CCNA in one test.
    AAS - Networking and Cyber Security
    Security+ COLOR=red]X[/COLOR CCENT COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: R&S COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR CCNA: Collaboration [ ]
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've never been a big fan of the two test route. I'd always advise people just to learn the material and take the one exam approach. Less time at the testing center and there really isn't much to gain from having the CCENT unless you plan on skipping the CCNA R&S and just doing Voice or one of the other specializations.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Considering ccent is a lower level cert close to net+, but vendor specific, the next step forward would be ccna if you really want to advance. Not only will you get configuration knowledge, but you'll also dig deeper into network technologies than ccent/net+ level material.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    CCENT is somewhat worthless when you already have NET+. Step up your game and get the CCNA.
  • Options
    MrPuzzlezMrPuzzlez Member Posts: 89 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tackle the twins, or fight the Big Boss? A lot of people have this dilemma, but if you have a Net+, you're pretty much 1/3 the way to a CCNA. All you need to learn is the CLI and make it function for the CCENT. But with the 2012 revision of the Net+ covering more in-depth topics(as far as a vendorless cert could), go for the CCNA. Both routes cost exactly the same(ICND1&2 = $300, CCNA = $300), so there is another reason to just take the CCNA.

Edit: I also forgot about scheduling. If your schedule is hectic, it might be more feasible to take the dual exam route...

But, the choice is yours...
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did the composite route.

It may cover more material, but you only have to go and pass one test.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    davenulldavenull Member Posts: 173 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd definitely recommend going the 2 exam route. You save barely any money by taking the composite exam (like $5), and even if you have Network+, CCENT will have plenty of new material to study.

There's virtually no benefit to doing the composite exam. Cisco made the composite exam for those who have 5-10 years of experience working in the industry and who want to get it out of the way quickly when their employer ask them to become certified.

By taking the exams separately you divide a bigger problem into 2 smaller ones. Chances are they'll be easier to digest and you run less risk of failing.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To achieve a CCNA you have two options: two test path (CCENT ICND1 and CCNA ICND2) or one test path (composite).

Unless you have a wealth of experience, the two test path is the suggested. Do not be fooled the CCNA is a difficult test and you will know your stuff by the end. The CCENT is the minimum prerequisite to go down any Cisco path (security, voice etc.). CCENT itself holds some value but it is more entry level for networking where CCNA prepares you for good sized networks and is useful in several roles.

Easier? CCENT is an entry level so I guess that means it is "easier". Do not be fooled, since the revamp of the exams in October of last year, Cisco has made the CCENT far far far more difficult.
  • Options
    Ok I'm goign to go for the CCENT first, then for the CCNA, thanks guys!
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ Heero
    ''CCENT is somewhat worthless when you already have NET+. Step up your game and get the CCNA.''

I disagree. Net+ is an overview with descriptions and ideas. Being a Net+ and going for CCENT he would still learn a lot that was not covered in Net+. You can take the 2 test or single test route, whatever you prefer and feel more comfortable with.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    davenull wrote: »

There's virtually no benefit to doing the composite exam.

I disagree. Less exams you have to take the better IMO. You have to learn all of the material anyway. So unless you plan on cramming the ICND1 stuff in and forgetting it right after you take the exam I really don't see how there is much benefit to taking the two exam approach unless you are trying to get one of the specializations. .
  • Options
    no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @ Heero
    ''CCENT is somewhat worthless when you already have NET+. Step up your game and get the CCNA.''

I disagree. Net+ is an overview with descriptions and ideas. Being a Net+ and going for CCENT he would still learn a lot that was not covered in Net+. You can take the 2 test or single test route, whatever you prefer and feel more comfortable with.

I definitely agree with this. I'm studying for CCENT and there's a good amount of material that wasn't covered in Net+
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • Options
    Yea I think I'm going to go for the 2 exam route. I read the sticky, but I am having a hard time understanding where to get materials for the CCENT. If anyone has any strategies or any advice that helped them it would be appreciated!

Also I sort of have forgotten a lot of the stuff learned from Network+ I was going to get Darils Network+ book for my kindle app and refresh my memory. Should I?
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can use all kinds of stuff to study. TE forums and practice tests, CBT Nuggets, Packet Tracer, and Todd Lammles CCENT book. Mix and match to find what you enjoy.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    bostianz wrote: »
    Yea I think I'm going to go for the 2 exam route. I read the sticky, but I am having a hard time understanding where to get materials for the CCENT. If anyone has any strategies or any advice that helped them it would be appreciated!

Also I sort of have forgotten a lot of the stuff learned from Network+ I was going to get Darils Network+ book for my kindle app and refresh my memory. Should I?

Read both Todd Lammle and Wendell Odom Books:

Todd Lammle (CCENT + CCNA)

Amazon.com: CCNA Routing and Switching Deluxe Study Guide: Exams 100-101, 200-101, and 200-120 (9781118789704): Todd Lammle, William Tedder: Books

Wendell Odom

100-101 (CCENT)

Amazon.com: CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-101 Official Cert Guide (9781587143854): Wendell Odom: Books

200-101 (CCNA)

http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-ICND2-200-101-Official/dp/1587143739/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397226734&sr=1-5&keywords=odom+wendell

OR

200-120 (ICND1 + ICND2 composite)

http://www.amazon.com/Routing-Switching-200-120-Official-Library/dp/1587143879/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397226734&sr=1-3&keywords=odom+wendell
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    I am amazed how people are comparing Net+ to the Cisco Exams. Net+ doesn't have anything on the CCENT especailly on the new 100-101 standards. Heck you need to really know how to subnet with the Cisco exams unlike Net+ that may or may not referance a question.

To the OP, I would go the two exam route as well. It is one way to ensure that you are on the right path and you know you are actually comperhening what you are studying. Another way to look at it, since it was my first time testing for a Cisco exam I didn't know what to expect and the fact I wasn't willing to lose $300 on a test I wasn't sure I was ready to take... If I was to fail the test I wouldn't feel as bad losing $150 compared to double the price and double the test...
  • Options
    Awesome thanks for all the reponses.

I have one last question, it's sort of off-topic. Is there anything I should learn on the side of acquiring my certificates, that will help with job prospects? Like scripiting, or any language whatsoever (computer)? Or just anything that may help?
  • Options
    Scripting will definitely be of help as you progress in your career. Might not be very applicable for entry level positions, but it is definitely a skill I wish I would have picked up sooner.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I regret not doing the 1 exam route, now i'm having to re-learn ACL's/NAT/VTP for ICND2

The 1 route is easier IMO if you study properly, I got scared away since I was using the OCG and iw would have involved reading 1500+ pages -_-
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    Scripting will definitely be of help as you progress in your career. Might not be very applicable for entry level positions, but it is definitely a skill I wish I would have picked up sooner.

How do I go about learning this? Could you be more specific please?
  • Options
    Grab a book, take a class, google some info up. There are plenty websites like Learn to code | Codecademy Online Tutorials that do a great job of getting you going in the basics of programming. I'm still no where near the level to go in and write major scripts, but I know what I'm looking at now and can make some adjustments on the fly.
  • Options
    When you say get a book, I'm not sure what book to get, I know there are different types of coding right? Sorry if I'm sounding completely oblivious.
  • Options
    Start out with the site I posted. You don't need to buy anything and can get your feet wet with a few different languages. Python would probably be the most applicable to a networking role on that site. Perl is another big one. Learning the basics will help with any language though. Once you get some knowledge then what books to read will become more apparent.