What is needed for CCNA Lab??

ChihwabongaChihwabonga Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi folks!
I am in IT Audit with lots of experience in hardware, software support and am now considering Cisco certifications as I find myself having to audit systems as well.

I would like to prepare for CCNA icon_study.gifand just purchased a lab on ebay that comprises; 2 x 2950-12, 2 x 2621 and 1 x 2620XM. Is this sufficient to take me through the CCNA R&S track? I really am looking for an honest opinion as I am a beginner in this arena.

Thanks to you all

Comments

• realPSIrealPSI Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I test for CCNA next Friday and Packet Tracer will get you through 99% of it.

I passed CCENT in March. There are some things PT will not do , but for CCENT/CCNA it will get you through it
  • JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    For the CCNA there's no need to buy hardware to pass the exam. Like realPSI said, Packet Tracer is enough as well as GNS3 which is free. But if you plan on getting the CCNP afterwards then I would suggest buying hardware for it.
  • skittledmonkeyskittledmonkey Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was given several old switches and routers from my work. However I ended up using packet tracer for the most part as it was much more convenient to use.

But the kit you have got is great. You can also connect your router to GNS3 on a PC which I did for all the OSPF stuff.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GNS3 will get you through almost the entire CCNA exam (or ICND1+2 if you decide to go that route). Packet tracer will help with switch configurations, but you need to be enrolled in Cisco Academy to get that program. If you do want real hardware, go on eBay and get yourself a couple 2950's (switches) to learn, configure, and test STP in a (lab) working environment.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've got a massive setup since I'm going to carry onto CCNP/CCIE one day but I prefer to use GNS3 for routing protocol labs and real equipment for switching, downside of real equipment is the electrical power required and the noise.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
    realPSI wrote: »
    I test for CCNA next Friday and Packet Tracer will get you through 99% of it.

I passed CCENT in March. There are some things PT will not do , but for CCENT/CCNA it will get you through it

I agree, all you need is Packet Tracer, after you get your CCNA start working with GNS3.