Options

Best book for BSCI?

wootwootwootwoot Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
What is the best book to study for the BSCI, I have heard that the cisco CCNP self study is not all that great. What would you guys recommend for a solid foundation on this exam, thx.

Comments

• Options
    pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm pretty deep into studying for the BSCI and so far have been using the Catherine Paquet / Diane Teare Self-Study 2nd Ed. almost exclusively. It's pretty well written and pretty huge (almost 1000 pages). I'll definitely use another book before taking the test but man I can't imagine not having read this.

just my 2c
    I haven't actually taken the exam yet so take that into account...
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    I am in the same boat you are, I still have not decided.

From what I have read the most pupular choices are: "CCNP: BSCI Study Guide" (Carl Timm/Sybex) and CCNP Self-Study (Catherine Paquet/Cisco press)

The amazon reviews for those 2 books also seem a little better than some of the others.
  • Options
    mwgoodmwgood Member Posts: 293
    I just downloaded a version of Michael J Shannon's Exam Cram 2 BSCI.

I find it very readable and quite informative.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    When I considered studying for the CCNP I checked out the books available and read the reviews on Amazon. A lot of the time the reviewers agreed with each other and they seemed to be correct. Othertimes a few of the reviewers were idiots. The best advise I got from the reviews -- don't just rely on one book.

I used the Cisco Press books -- the Self-Study books, the Exam Certification Guides (which includes Self-Study in the title to confuse people) and the Practical Studies books for the hands on work. I also used the CCNP Flash Cards and Practice Exams. I don't think CIT had a self-study book of it own -- use the other 3 self-study books and any section with the word troubleshooting in it.

Sybex CCNP Complete Study Guide (2005) was my non-Cisco Press book.

I forget now which Cisco Press book was really bad, but that's when I went to the Sybex book a lot. I'd also use the Sybex book when I wanted to review something and wanted to come at it from a fresh angle.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!