Options

Has anyone passed their ccnp certification with ccbootcamp?

pcguru2000pcguru2000 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was going to do new horizons but read the ripoff report and changed my mind. ccbootcamp seems like a good choice. I have not read anything bad about them yet. On another note, I did the cisco networking academy ccna track 10 years ago. I remember off the top of my head about 10% of the stuff. I was going to do CCNA then do the ccbootcamp ccnp. Recently, I saw something called ccna, ccnp, ccie voice. Some article was stating that going the voice route was going to be more profitable. Is this true? I'm in the LA area.

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    First, do you want to know the material and put it to use in production environments or just have a piece of paper that say's "CCNP"?

I guess the answer depends on how serious you take your career.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    I would like to be able to do both in the quickest amount of time. For my CCNA route/switch, the bootcamp would be a refresher. For my CCNP route/switch, it would probably be 90% new, I'm guessing. I'm not in an environment now where I would use it. My intentions are to get the certifications, apply what I learned on the job, and learn the rest on my own. Then maybe after a year or so, go for the CCIE route switch. Since the ccnp and ccie would be probably completely new, I had some thoughts about possible trying the ccna voice after the ccna route/switch, then if I like it, go on to do ccnp/ccie voice based on blogs that say that the voice track is more in demand. Would the voice track cause more travel outside the area, than the route/switch, if I was hired by a consulting firm?
  • Options
    noc-dreamnoc-dream Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In all seriousness... do you have any experience in a network engineering role? if NO is the answer & you don't even hold a CCNA, there is no chance you will be able to get CCIE within a year.... absolute 0 chance. I spent around 5 months study for my CCNA with real hands on equipment doing labs over and over... ccna security about 4 months again with ASA 5505 to practice with... aced both exams and at the end of it I have gained a wealth of knowledge which I find is very rewarding when you actually learn the material!

Now am starting CCNP which is 3 exams, each will take at least 4-5 months of solid study, hoping in a year and a half I will have passed all 3 exam, (I also work 12 hour shifts) so all my free time is spent on this.

CCIE is In a different class of its own and I will not even attempt it without at least 10 years experience in a network engineering role!

Bootcamps are a waste of time and money, you CAN_NOT learn or grasp all the topics in that short amount of time, they only teach you what you need to pass the exam, at the end if you pass you will not be competent for technical interviews or roles which will land you in a big puddle of embarrassment.

Learn it the proper way, you will feel accomplishment and have gained a wealth of knowledge.
    Good Luck
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    Bootcamps are a lot of information in a short amount of time. If you not familiar with the technologies prior to attending the bootcamp that you might find yourself lost at sea unless you are planning lock yourself in a room during the bootcamp to dig into each technology deeper.

Just because 'voice' is the next big thing right now does not mean it will be this popular 6-12 months from after you attain your CCNA: V/ CCNP: V by that time this 'voice rush' might be over.

Its very hard to follow the hot topics in IT, if you are not already part of them because it changes so much.

Now, don't get me wrong voice is not going anywhere. Even if the demand dies down for voice in some time there will still be a demand for it.

It might cheaper to gran the CCNA:V book and self study it. Just my 2cents on that one.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I doubt anyone has ever passed the CCNP exams with JUST a bootcamp alone unless they had considerable amounts of experience in the field. Bootcamps are excellent ways to refresh your knowledge right before you're about to take an exam but I would warn you not to use it as a primary study resource. Instead, try to tackle the material with various resources: Reading, videos, labbing, (if possible) experience, and then a bootcamp.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Iris, nice looking router setup in your room. Thanks for the reply!
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you want to merely pass the exam or actually be able to do what's expected of a CCNP....?
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently