Auto Deploy question from Mastering vSphere 5 book

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
Yo,

So in the auto deploy boot process in Scott Lowe's Mastering vSphere 5 book, there is one part of the process that the book is vague on, looking for clarification from the Guru's. This is page 40, step 2 of the boot process for reference if you own the book. The exact step is described as follows:

"The host contacts the TFTP server and downloads the specified filename, which contains the gPXE boot file and a gPXE configuration file"

Now the book touched on creating both image profiles and deployment rules using PowerCLI, and I am wondering if the 'deployment rules' is the file that the host is grabbing of the TFTP server? It doesn't make any mention of what that filename is, and I see deployment rules is mentioned in step 4 for handing out ESXi images, so I have no idea what file is containing the gPXE boot and config files.

Gracias amigos!

Comments

• tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    Imagine it like this:

The host boots up, and does a DHCP DORA (Discover, Offer, Request, Acknowledge) on the network to get it's IP address. In the scope options, you specify the additional options (66 and 67 if I'm not mistaken). The host then does network boot, and goes to the TFTP server it has been given via the DHCP scope options.

It arrives there, looking for a specific file, undionly.kpxe.vmw-hardwired, which you specify in DHCP option 67. This file is the gPXE boot binary with a preconfigured configuration file, pointed to your Auto Deploy server. The file is then streamed to the host, and it boots from this file.

Once the host starts booting from this file, it goes back to the Auto Deploy server like: Hey, I'm an host, and this is my IP address, MAC Address, serial number etc. The Auto Deploy server goes through the rules it has configured to select a matching Image Profile (and optional Host Profile) for the host. If it doesn't find a match, the boot process stops here.

If it does find a match, it boots using the Image Profile specified and it applies the Host Profile (if applicable) that it received from the Auto Deploy server.

The deployment rules themselves are not streamed to a host. Auto Deploy uses the deployment rules as a set of criteria to determine a valid Image Profile (and Host Profile) for the host that has reported for duty. :)

I've also included a visual representation of Auto Deploy. Hope this helps!

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Wow, well put sir, that was almost a perfect explanation of the process that I just read out of the book (though it never eluded to what exactly the "filename" from that step was). Some rep for you, thanks for the detailed response!
    No worries, we're all here to learn. Make sure to check out the Daily VMware Quiz topic too as it touches on some VCP level knowledge too.

Happy reading!
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    Hopefully this video explains it easy for you as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grm1OBTPnPk
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I am actually holding off on reading through the daily vmware questions thread until I get a bit further in my studies, so I can try answering the questions and read the explanations of the answers :)

Also thanks for the link kj0!
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    check out today's question(s) at least. Give you an idea what you're in for.

I"m currently reading through Scott Lowe and Forbes Guthrie vSphere Design book, Gives some great perspectives on what to do. i recommend if you come across something in the Mastering book that you want clarification on, eg, Expandable Reservations, Resource Pools, etc. google it and read some Blogs, there are some really good ones out there. Chris Wahl generally does it well, and so does Frank Dennermen.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    ande0255 wrote: »
    I am actually holding off on reading through the daily vmware questions thread until I get a bit further in my studies, so I can try answering the questions and read the explanations of the answers :)

Also thanks for the link kj0!

Sure, no sweat. Remember that labbing is vital for most certifications and definitely for the VCP. You really need to know your stuff. Should you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.