Options

You are IT? so what?

The ITThe IT Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Years as IT and man let me tell you something I have enough and fed up of (most) other IT behavior.
Arrogance seems to be the disease of ITs, couple days ago get an interview with this Mr. know it all, interview started with bash commands I answer all the questions, corrected him few time !! and he was "surprised" about my level because my resume has all Winzowz, he asked me about Python which I have no experience with it so he gave the history of Python, his achievement history and ended up with declining me because "I am not ready yet".

This is just an example, just go a IT Meetup and man because you are silent people think you are newbie and start to "teach you", someone spend 30 min explaining GIT clone command (which I already know: git clone .. dahh) with a full free class of git history and his "successful" job history.

To piss an IT that he doesn't know you just say "man that's easy" and OMG and in the other side to give an orgasmic feeling to IT simply deny that you know something or better ask for help.

Comments

• Options
    Jamm1nJamm1n Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I love it when people come up to me and give me their IT history. Smiles and nods are all they get.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Or maybe you shouldn't be so sensitive because these people are just trying to help you out? Maybe they needed someone that already knew python? Maybe the guy at the meetup was just trying to pass some knowledge to help a brother out?

Or maybe you ran into your fair share of jerks. That doesn't mean there aren't nice people out there in IT too.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are arrogant jerks in every industry, however, I haven't found IT to be exceptionally different. The vast majority of colleagues I run across are well intentioned individuals who are always willing to provide advice.

If you find yourself consistently running into arrogant jerks, perhaps you need to look internally for the solution.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    For the record, the percentage of arrogant IT jerks I've met in my 15 years in IT don't account for more than 1%. I remember one guy in particular who was an MCSE back in '97. My buddy and I asked him a few NT server questions and all he replied with was "oh that's easy". He walked away and didn't say anything else. Later on I learned when cheated on his MCSE and everyone knew about it and considered him a joke.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    A lot of people I met in the industry dumped the MCSE, especially the older ones NT - 2000. I mentioned to one girl on the helpdesk years ago and she laughed and said I got the answers on line. Keep in mind she had the MCSE NT, 2000, and 2003. She said it was a cheaper route than going to the expensive boot camps and faster than getting a degree. She is now a program manager for a fortune 100 company and probably makes 140,000 with bonus. With all that said I think it's dishonest and I don't care enough about certifications to ****. I'd rather fly under the radar and surprise someone when I have the skills than have a target on me and not deliver.
  • Options
    What I am trying to say that there is lot of arrogant full of them self IT, I know they are in each industry but with IT and my experience OMG, I think I attract them, I had about 8 years Sys Admin before moving to the US, my first job was just help desk which I do without thinking one of my coworker never believed I can do it and always check after me, also I had my daily "training" on how to install Winzowz or create office files ...
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Maybe it's because you say Winzowz...
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Perhaps, "The IT" you are only seeing back the image you project to others? icon_sunny.gif

It is unfortunate that you seem to have run into an unusually high percentage of 'jerks' but for the decades I have worked, I would say IT seems to hold some of the nicest people (of course that is coming from the IT side of things :) ). The ones with bad attitudes seem to be very soon out the door. If we cannot keep the end-user happy, there is no reason for us to be there...that includes breaking in 'newbies'.

However with a comment like this one:
    because my resume has all Winzowz, he asked me about Python which I have no experience with it so he gave the history of Python, his achievement history and ended up with declining me because "I am not ready yet".
    I might be inclined to think you may have been in the interview with a chip on your shoulder, no?

Call it a learning experience and gear up for another interview. If you are finding IT is not your thing, there are a number of other great industries out there, maybe you can try one those?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I chuckled reading about your experiences TC.

"If you run into a jerk in the morning, you ran into a jerk. If you run into jerks all day, you're the jerk."
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    @The IT:

Don't take this the wrong way but maybe those "jerks" weren't trying to be jerks with you, what if it's just a language barrier?

English is my second language, and I know how easily things can be misinterpreted. It happens, maybe they were just trying to help you but you got it the wrong way? I've been speaking English for years, but I still make so many mistakes here and there (specially when I'm sleep deprived), and you know what? it's usually a good way to break the ice with someone you just met, gives you something to laugh at.

Also, Winzowz? Winzowz?????
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    It seems that you have plenty of experience, and the knowledge to get an IT job without a problem. However, you may want to consider a change of attitude. From reading this post, it seems that you do not want others to show you anything. We all started somewhere. I personally have never used Python at any job I have held, and would welcome any input from those who have used it in a work capacity.

I would just tell you to open your mind, and listen to others who know what they are talking about. There are plenty of jerks out there, for sure, but there are also plenty of good people who want to help.
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    I'm sure there's a good reason...but completely curious how you ended up with a entry level help desk job with 8 years experience as a Sys Admin?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It seems that you have plenty of experience, and the knowledge to get an IT job without a problem. However, you may want to consider a change of attitude. From reading this post, it seems that you do not want others to show you anything. We all started somewhere. I personally have never used Python at any job I have held, and would welcome any input from those who have used it in a work capacity.

I would just tell you to open your mind, and listen to others who know what they are talking about. There are plenty of jerks out there, for sure, but there are also plenty of good people who want to help.

This is spot on and the impression I was given reading your posts. You come across as very standoffish regarding your skills, not very open minded towards others annd appear to have a negative attitude overall. That last sentance likely could have described myself in my early 20s when I was getting my start in IT. I learned a lot of lessons the hard way.

You need to adopt a more professional attitude if you want to be treated like a professional, learn to accept criticism from others in order to better yourself and realize there is something to be learned from everyone. When the interviewer said to you that "you're not ready yet" he likely meant you lacked the things I said in the last sentence and you were probably not lacking any technical skills or aptitude.

I'll leave you with the quote: "If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room"
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From what I have seen so far, the people that are arrogant tend to get left behind. Their pride limits them from learning and growing, which in this industry is everything. So, I love it when I see those people around me as it gives me a leg up. I just nod my head and be polite to them, learn what I can from them, and just know that I'm never going to be that way.
  • Options
    Sounds like the solution to your woes should be sought internally rather than amongst your peers.
  • Options
    BGraves wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a good reason...but completely curious how you ended up with a entry level help desk job with 8 years experience as a Sys Admin?
    Welcome to new immigrant life :). When I arrived my resume has no history of working in the US so I find out my self in the circle of: no experience >> no job >> no experience and in the end I get a part time help desk. I ended up getting promoted and my salary doubled in less than a year after that, it's about giving change (another topic)
    For the rest winzowz is just a joke, next time I will use the Linux forum Window$$.
    Seems lot of people did not understand my point, I love IT, it's my domain of choice, I declined many positions non related to IT. I did not try to insult or offend no one, my point is "how many Mr I know it all you meet a day as IT? also have you ever made the interviewer feel threatened by your knowledge that try to find any mistake for you?"
  • Options
    The IT wrote: »
    how many Mr I know it all you meet a day as IT?
    Only a small few.
    also have you ever made the interviewer feel threatened by your knowledge that try to find any mistake for you?
    No.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome to new immigrant life :). When I arrived my resume has no history of working in the US so I find out my self in the circle of: no experience >> no job >> no experience and in the end I get a part time help desk. I ended up getting promoted and my salary doubled in less than a year after that, it's about giving change (another topic)
    For the rest winzowz is just a joke, next time I will use the Linux forum Window$$.
    Seems lot of people did not understand my point, I love IT, it's my domain of choice, I declined many positions non related to IT. I did not try to insult or offend no one, my point is "how many Mr I know it all you meet a day as IT? also have you ever made the interviewer feel threatened by your knowledge that try to find any mistake for you?"

You know there's no rule that says you can't put jobs from other countries on your resume right? In-fact, you should probably put them on their instead of giving off the appearance of having no experience. Those jobs count too and there's no reason future employers shouldn't know about them unless you left every single job on bad terms.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I only ran into arrogance when I was starting out in IT and it was usually from others who had only a few years more experience than I did which was none. I just assumed it was a sign of insecurity and wanting to be noticed.
  • Options
    JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have run into a lot of jerks, arrogant and egotistical bastards in IT. I usually avoid them. The way the often handle guys starting or not knowing something is just awful. One thing they seem to forget is that they were once novices too and someone help them to get where they are. No man is an island. I will always help others, life is much more fun and worthwhile when you help others. 2 cents
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]