Sybex 4th edition vs 5th edition

mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
I have the Sybex CCNA 4th edition. Is it worth getting the 5th edition? What is new/different in it?
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole

Comments

• optimusoptimus Member Posts: 183
    Oh heck yes it is worth it, because my time is $$$. Why spend days reading a book icon_study.gif that you might miss out on some points that Lammel feels are important today? Get the 5th edition, because it is better to make sure you got everything 100% then to wonder about it. You will feel more confident also when you take the exam that you used the most current material.

Would you want a doctor to treat you if you knew he read only the earlier editions? icon_scratch.gif

OptimuS icon_thumright.gif
  • mog27mog27 Member Posts: 302
    But is there a list of what's different/changed about it anywhere? What if it is just errata updates that I can do myself.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Ben Franklin

"The internet is a great way to get on the net." --Bob Dole
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I've got both books and the 5th edition has a more thorough explanation of OSPF and VLSM, especially OSPF. He also does a great job in making many many things that weren't clear in the 4th (like issues with EIGRP and VLANS) crystal clear in the 5th.

He didn't fix typos and stuff in this ed., he's added and brushed up a "lot" of things.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • patelharipatelhari Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i have got 4th edition and i m preparing for exam and i dont want to go for 5th edition. do u think it will effect on my exam? or it will fine with 4th edition.
    I like to play around with 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000
  • 2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    If you can't get the 5th edition, then the 4th will do.

You'll probably miss out on issues like being able to use subent zero, etc; but the bulk of it is there.

2lbs.
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • vaughnsvaughns Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I got the Fifth ed, and the Fast Pass.

Must say in the beginning, people used to ask questions here, about the fourth edit etc .. and by the sound of it, they had a problem with certain topics etc ... and the people with the fifth ed, did not have the same questions about the same topics.

Hope I am making myself clear

So, I would guess, if you can, get the fifth. It has really helped me understand a lot of things.

The reason I got the FassPass, is that everyone keeps on saying on this site how good Sybex and Todd is etc ...
    I did not want waste my time by getting other books etc ...
    Yes I must say, Sybex and Tood - has really helped me, so yes get the Fifth ed book.
  • mikeyoungmikeyoung Member Posts: 101
    Get the new book. Arm yourself with the best info you can get.
    Lack of will power has caused more failure than lack of intelligence or ability.
  • patelharipatelhari Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i think i should get it the way u r saying

thankx a lot for info.
    I like to play around with 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000