Options

Pay or experience?

PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
Would you ever go backwards in your career to make more money?

Currently I'm in a position that is considered rack and stack but I only spend ~60% of my time doing rack and stack related tasks the other ~40% of my time is doing system/network admin tasks. I love what I do but they just aren't paying me what I'm worth.

I could take a job making 25% more but spend 100% of my time doing rack and stack. More money, but nothing to really build my resume.
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    Techguru365Techguru365 Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally wouldnt go backwards in my career. Yes, the raise might seem enticing, but i am sure especially since you are currently employed and have hands on work experience, you will be able to find a job that not only pays more but also advances your career. Just keep on looking and sending out those applications
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Most people transition out of fully technical positions by the end of their career. How old are you? Generally going backwards is a bad idea. Would a major league baseball player volunteer to go to the minors?
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Nope. Everything that has happened to me I am assuming has happened for a reason.

Go forward and find a job offering that same increase plus the experience. It may take a little but better to always go forward.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Experience 100%.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless you REALLY need the money now, I don't see the reasoning to go backwards for more pay. You may be denying yourself a future opportunity for a higher position due to not having more hands on experience. A friend of mine at EMC had the same choice and I gave him the same advice. He mainly had a part time hybrid networking and rack n' stack, but was offered a full time position just rackn' & stackn'. Two years later he got promoted to a senior networking level at a NOC with the grunts doing the rack n' stack. I don't think he would have achieved that if he didn't have more technical experience other than rackn' & stackn'.

However, it is situational and only you can evaluate your position in whether you think it is best. If that 25% is worth it to you now, then take it. If you wanted stay as you are in order to invest in experience, it may pay off for career opportunities later. I am curious for updates on what you ultimately decide on doing.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Experience will bring the money. Might not happen today, but it will.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Experience > Pay.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with most others here, experience is more valuable and in time would demand a higher salary anyways.
  • Options
    malikhan292malikhan292 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    exp definitely.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I agree with most people here. With that said, if someone offered me a 500% raise to go back to the Helpdesk, I wouldn't be thinking about it too much (but of course, that doesn't happen in the real world)
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I don't feel like you're looking at the entire picture here.

If you're doing 40% System/Network Admin tasks then go find yourself a full time System or Network Administration position that will likely come with quite the large pay increase. You're in a great position to move ahead, take the next step forward.

There's absolutely no reason why you have to pick experience or pay here.
  • Options
    Yea, I think I'll just keeping looking on the job boards.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Solid experience leads to excellent pay.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    Interesting enough I sent out one application yesterday for a mostly networking position and got an e-mail back today asking for a time to call and chat with me.
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Awesome! Hope it goes well and is a good place 😊
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Many a times, I have been stuck a situation like this. This is when you look at ROI. Which one gives a better Return on Investment? I believe a rack and stak with 25% increment has diminishing ROI as compare to something someone has mention, a network or sysadmin which can give you more salary and experience with a better ROI on your time in career.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the best way to look at it is a combination of ROI and what I like to call the "happiness" factor.

Is it worth it to take a pay cut when changing jobs? Yes, if what you are doing gains you experience and makes you even more valuable than the prior job in the future.

Also, it's not worth it to be unhappy at work. It's better to be making 60k doing what you enjoy vs 70k and being miserable. Actually studies show that after 70k, making more money isn't a large factor anymore on total happiness.
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Pay will come in time. You need the experience to properly negotiate for the pay you want. Plus your passion will also determine your ability to get more money, experience, and perfection at your job. Do what you want to do just remember money isn't everything. Passion for your career choice comes first.

Respectfully,
    H
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Experience first especially early on your career. For example if your goal is to become a network expert, find jobs with NOCs/MSP/partners etc etc where you get tons of hands on experience. But later on, you must command the salary that you deserve based on MARKET's rate. If you keep on accepting lower salaries you will sell yourself short. Once you cross that 5-10 yrs of "hands on" experience, I think you shouldn't go backwards, but every situation is different.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I agree with most people here. With that said, if someone offered me a 500% raise to go back to the Helpdesk, I wouldn't be thinking about it too much (but of course, that doesn't happen in the real world)

This would only be a benefit if you ever 'enjoyed' helpdesk. And after 10 minutes of sitting back at a desk with a few monitors and a headset, you'll wish you didn't fall for the money. Some people are very good at help desk and sort of enjoy it, but very few I have run into enjoy it longer than it takes to gain the experience to spring out of that desk. FWIW

The money is 'never' worth doing a job you dislike.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?