Options

CCNA along with other skillset.

AB.CalculusAB.Calculus Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
I happened to meet my brother's neighbors, who works in IT, as we were heading out last weekend. He mentioned to my brother that he was working on his CCNP. My brother tells him I'm working on my CCNA and he mentioned that "CCNA, doesn't mean you're a superstar, you'll have to learn Microsoft, Unix, scripting" and I think he mentioned Linux as well. I'm glad he "shot from the hip" and I took his number, which I'll use for networking purposes with him, no pun intended.

I been hearing "go for the CCNP to be taking seriously" a couple of times and it makes sense as I rescheduled my ICND1 for May 1st, but what about the skills he mentioned? Is this a fact?

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like he was trying to one up you.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't think he was trying to do that, but offer him some great advice. The CCNA is a powerful cert, but not by itself. You need to compliment it with other skill sets/certs. Gone now are the days where a person in IT were to only do one task or specialty (unless you are in a enterprise) in their lair. I think Eli the Computer stated it best: "The CCNA is the cherry on top of your ice cream. Having the cherry or melted chocolate by itself isn't all that wonderful, but put it on your MCSA/MCSE ice cream, you'll get some more requests."

I didn't think there was any truth to that until I saw some classmates seeming to be more successful when they complimented their CCNA with other certs like various Linux, Microsoft, or security certifications around my area in RTP NC. Another alternative that I've seen that work quite well is pair your CCNA with another CCNA level certification. CCNA: Routing and Switching pairs quite well with Security and Voice. Once you get employed, then you can see which path to continue on with at the CCNP level.

Hope that helps!
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Doyen wrote: »
    The CCNA is a powerful cert, but not by itself. You need to compliment it with other skill sets/certs. Gone now are the days where a person in IT were to only do one task or specialty (unless you are in a enterprise) in their lair. I think Eli the Computer stated it best: "The CCNA is the cherry on top of your ice cream. Having the cherry or melted chocolate by itself isn't all that wonderful, but put it on your MCSA/MCSE ice cream, you'll get some more requests." I didn't think there was any truth to that until I saw some classmates seeming to be more successful when they complimented their CCNA with other certs like various Linux, Microsoft, or security certifications around my area in RTP NC.

Not true. Depends on how big the organization is. We have guy's that just do networking all day - a few of them, and a network administrator that just monitors the network as well
  • Options
    Doyen wrote: »
    I don't think he was trying to do that, but offer him some great advice. The CCNA is a powerful cert, but not by itself. You need to compliment it with other skill sets/certs. Gone now are the days where a person in IT were to only do one task or specialty (unless you are in a enterprise) in their lair. I think Eli the Computer stated it best: "The CCNA is the cherry on top of your ice cream. Having the cherry or melted chocolate by itself isn't all that wonderful, but put it on your MCSA/MCSE ice cream, you'll get some more requests."

I didn't think there was any truth to that until I saw some classmates seeming to be more successful when they complimented their CCNA with other certs like various Linux, Microsoft, or security certifications around my area in RTP NC. Another alternative that I've seen that work quite well is pair your CCNA with another CCNA level certification. CCNA: Routing and Switching pairs quite well with Security and Voice. Once you get employed, then you can see which path to continue on with at the CCNP level.

Hope that helps!

Interesting that you said this, I'm again considering studying for the MCSE after I get the CCNP. This time for the right reason not to brag about being MCSE and can't reset a password in AD.icon_silent.gif
  • Options
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Sounds like he was trying to one up you.

Possible.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Interesting that you said this, I'm again considering studying for the MCSE after I get the CCNP. This time for the right reason not to brag about being MCSE and can't reset a password in AD.icon_silent.gif

Ha ha. I actually met a MCSE (2008 server) at a classmate's job that didn't know set up GPO's or hide control panel with AD. It is funny to say, but I'm sure people get overwhelmed with information and forget basic things.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I design new cisco VoIP solutions, and decent sized company networks. I will seldom touch a windows or linux box. If i was going to tell myself 5 years ago what skills to add, it would be Excel, Pearl Scripting, and writing and speaking.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like he was giving you advice from his own personal IT bubble and experiences. The reality is that you can only do Cisco stuff if thats all you really want to do. Adding more skills definitely makes you marketable and will likely open more door quicker but Cisco only jobs do exist
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try to keep things in perspective. CCNA is an entry level certification.
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    I think he's not far off. At my fortune 15 company we have network only people. I will agree with him tho because I do Windows Linux/ Unix an network in my position. Nothing easier than being able to tell user how to get the information you need from them. Since I have admin on 95% of all of our boxesI usually find it myself ffirst. Keep in mind all problems email Windows server or desktops phone s iPad etc is always the networks fault regardless if it is or not. Being able to know common issues on other platforms helps when you explain why you shouldn't have been called in the first place.