Options

What is the purpose of using Virtual Machine in a professional setting?

s-n-c-godfathers-n-c-godfather Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I actually VMare but on my own personal use. But I'm curious of what do firms use VM for?

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If we weren't making use of virtualization for our servers we'd need a hell of a lot of rack space for all of the servers we run.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What company doesn't use virtualization? That's the better question.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    In a nutshell, here are the benefits:
    - Going green: save on power and cooling. Less equipment means less heat produced and less power consumed
    - Smaller footprint - like Codeblox said, you can have hundreds of virtual servers taking the same space as just a few physical hosts
    - Quick provisioning - using templates, you can quickly deploy new instances of any given OS
    - Easier backups/DR - leveraging snapshots, replication, etc.
    - Hardware abstraction - no vendor lock-in. You can have Dell servers, replace them with HPs, and the VMs will not care
    - Great scalability - you can grow independently whatever your contention point may be: network, compute, storage
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I actually VMare but on my own personal use. But I'm curious of what do firms use VM for?

VMware is a company, not a product. My guess is you are using VMware Workstation (or a similar type of product) on your desktop. Companies will run VMware ESXi between the hardware and virtual machine OS for the reasons listed above in Cyberguypr's post. VMware Workstation and ESXi are two completely different products.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    I use a VM at my job so I can VPN into a customers network on the guest OS, without taking down the IP applications on my machine (web, email, IM), as some customers have their VPN locked down so tight I can only access the Unified Comm servers or whatever else my company manages.

Outside of the whole server virtualization thing, I've found this to be a very practical day to day use for the average multi-tasking troubleshooter and his VM icon_thumright.gif

(And I actually use virtualbox at work, VMware for my nested lab at home)
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    If we weren't making use of virtualization for our servers we'd need a hell of a lot of rack space for all of the servers we run.

/thread
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    NutsacjacNutsacjac Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□

Saves a bunch of money. Less machines, less cooling, less space needed...... you get the drift
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    I use VMWare/VBox when I am working with suspicious files. It's not often, but if something comes in and I am not sure what it is, I run an already configured virtual machine, and mess around in there. When I am done, I simply blow away the VM.
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    I work for a company that makes its own sharepoint server based software. All the tech folks train on VMs on their desktops.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Even a small company ~2,000 people will need many, many servers. I think a lot of people looking on the outside in think that companies don't use very many servers. For the company I work for, using VM's has saved us A LOT of money. Using 1 VM host server to run multiple instances will reduce a lot of rack space, along with many other factors that I don't want to type :)
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use it to build images that our company uses to roll out computers. It is very easy and convenient.
  • Options
    mikeybikesmikeybikes Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Even a small company ~2,000 people will need many, many servers. I think a lot of people looking on the outside in think that companies don't use very many servers. For the company I work for, using VM's has saved us A LOT of money. Using 1 VM host server to run multiple instances will reduce a lot of rack space, along with many other factors that I don't want to type :)

This. Our company of ~500 people has 50 servers at the primary colocation site. If we couldn't virtualize, we probably wouldn't have near that, but it would still be a lot of rack space. Instead, it all consolidates to 4U of servers, and 7U of storage.

Plus, our virtualized infrastructure gives us the ability to handle hardware failures and makes backups much easier.

We are even looking at virtualizing some of our physical network infrastructure next year, such as our two load balancers and an SBC.

We have a tremendous level of flexibility that we would not have had with everything being physical machines.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikeybikes wrote: »
    What company doesn't use virtualization? That's the better question.

What companies use virtualization for, not who uses virtualization is a perfectly valid question. It's something I was curious about myself before I started working in a data center with servers and learning the bigger picture of how a IT infrastructure works.