Options

Multicast Addresses

bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
I am reading the CCENT ICND1 100-101 Odom book. I have read the first 26 chapters without really getting stuck on a concept, and if I did, I was able to find more material on it (CBTNuggets, etc.) and figure it out.

I am kind of stuck on IPv6 multicast addressing, especially solicited-node. I was wondering if someone could explain this to me as if I am very new to the topic, as I really am.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not sure what information your looking for as I have not read that far. I find that as I am reading topics that are not making sense I usually just search for a wiki entry and see if it explains something better.

Multicast address - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Essentially with solicited node, every host that receives that packet is listening for that multicast address along with their other assigned addresses and knows to respond. Solicited router is where only routers are listening for that specific multicast address, so when they receive that packet with that specific multicast address they know to respond too while other non-router hosts are not listening for that one. That's my basic understanding of it, I haven't started my CCNP studies yet.
  • Options
    bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
    Thank you arrogant.