Options

How many of you are still at a MSP & How many got out?

2»

Comments

• Options
    abramsgunnerabramsgunner Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless that VAR is trying to be an MSP... but still run like a VAR... Ask me how I know...LOL
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Working for a VAR is where it's at.

I have to ask. What is a VAR?
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Value Added Reseller, selling enhancements to a companies existing products, then supporting those enhancements like an MSP.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Unless that VAR is trying to be an MSP... but still run like a VAR... Ask me how I know...LOL

Which is why you should choose carefully. :)

2013 Solution Provider 500 - Page 1 | CRN
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Value Added Reseller, selling enhancements to a companies existing products, then supporting those enhancements like an MSP.

Selling and delivering "Value Added" is the key.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    SixtyCycleSixtyCycle Member Posts: 111
    ande0255 wrote: »

What are examples of these enhancements? Better product support? Added functionality in hardware or software?
  • Options
    WafflesAndRootbeerWafflesAndRootbeer Member Posts: 555
    SixtyCycle wrote: »
    What are examples of these enhancements? Better product support? Added functionality in hardware or software?

VARs sell products - usually hardware or software - as a third-party authorized (Cisco/Microsoft Partners for example) and provide support for them as if you were dealing with the manufacturers. In terms of computers, you're usually just talking about the average reseller who might be a local/regional business in most cases.
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have worked for a small MSP for about 2 years now, I will admit that I have learned a TON of stuff, far more than I ever would have expected to. I am currently in the process of trying to break in to the corporate field however. In my personal experience I started with strictly help desk and moved in to a hybrid help desk lead/ field technician role, this actually sucks because I am dying to get more hands on with the technology and I’m stuck running network drops (which I have 0 training for and barely have the tools to get the jobs done) and workstation installs with the rare opportunity to get my hands on something with some substance.

I have found in my company that management always wants to take the path of least resistance, for example, we just installed 19 wireless access points at a church upgrading their switches and throwing in a router for good measure, it was a very costly project. I suggested Cisco equipment but my boss has a hard on for Dell so we ended up going the sonicWALL/sonicPoint route. He insisted that we keep the AP’s on auto-channel despite my many objections. Sure enough over the next few months the calls kept coming in, users were being disconnected and the channels were overloaded because the wonderful SonicPoint AP’s were only operating in channels 1,2, and 3, it took me months to do but I finally convinced him to let me assign manual channels and we haven’t gotten another call yet. I guess my point is, the general lack of experience at my particular MSP is concerning and I have seen the same with other small operations as well, I personally fear that I am not learning the correct methods for standard IT operations as this is a customer based business. Oh, and the pay is TERRIBLE.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    bugzy3188 wrote: »
    I have found in my company that management always wants to take the path of least resistance, for example, we just installed 19 wireless access points at a church upgrading their switches and throwing in a router for good measure, it was a very costly project. I suggested Cisco equipment but my boss has a hard on for Dell so we ended up going the sonicWALL/sonicPoint route. He insisted that we keep the AP’s on auto-channel despite my many objections. Sure enough over the next few months the calls kept coming in, users were being disconnected and the channels were overloaded because the wonderful SonicPoint AP’s were only operating in channels 1,2, and 3, it took me months to do but I finally convinced him to let me assign manual channels and we haven’t gotten another call yet. I guess my point is, the general lack of experience at my particular MSP is concerning and I have seen the same with other small operations as well, I personally fear that I am not learning the correct methods for standard IT operations as this is a customer based business. Oh, and the pay is TERRIBLE.

If it helps. I am sure as a network engineer and cloud engineer when Sales came to me and the team I worked with and told us what they just sold (proudly) I probably had a look on my face 90% of the time like "You know... we cant do this... right?".

My personal favorite is when they sold a customer a solution we never had nor tested and then told them we had a multi million dollar inventory so if something broke we could get it replaced in under 2 hours... I had trouble finding an ethernet cable (not kidding).

Learned from it though and helps me now but eesh.
  • Options
    dubzerdubzer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Took a LVL 1-3 Support position over a MSP NOC position. I would recommend an MSP over an entry level helpdesk/desktop support if you ever have the chance. Just more exposure to more technology.