Options

MCSA advice / training plan

Hi Everyone!

I have been absent from TE for a long while, after my CCent I went to get my MBA. I am 3 classes away from that goal (I'm on the 6 year track lol) and am now circling back to re-up my tech certs. I figured I would start casually since I have 2 MBA classes this year, my last class next year and would like to start looking at the MCSA stuff now. Unfortunately I don't get to do nearly as much hands on stuff (like I used to) so I'm rusty. I was very heavy into NT, 2000 and 2003. Pretty much skipped 2008. I know it was rock solid but I managed a team that did the day to day. (I am currently doing some beginning powershell right now)

Here is my plan, please let me know how it sounds and what additions or changes I can make to it:

It looks like the 410,411 and 412 are now going to concentrate on R2 but the books I have are only 2012. I would imagine there is a fair amount of overlap.. (or so I am hoping)

Books:
MCSA Windows Server 2012 Complete Study Guide: Exams 70-410, 70-411, 70-412, and 70-417 by W. Panek
Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 by Craig Zacker (this is the non-R2 version)

Any recommendations on a new 2012 R2 book(s)?

Video training:
Infinite Skills
Interfacett (- they are only $25 a month, so I will get it when the time is right)
(maybe even VTC? they are on sale, figure I would see what other say on my other post)
(maybe Pluralsight?)

Labs:
Any recommendations?

Sims:
Transcender (they used to be the best back in the day, any other recommendations?)

For hands on, I hope to spin up a server or even rent one if necessary.

thanks for your time!
Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!

Comments

• Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds good. 2 suggestions.

1) Sign up for a PluralSight.com subscription.
    2) Build a lab using VMware Workstation. Spend lots of time on this as soon as your knowledge is to the point you know what needs to be done.
  • Options
    GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    Thank you Bloogen!
    I should be able to get access via a sub at work. Hopefully we will have it again next year but not sure. With regards to the VMWare lab, I see that some people talk about TechNet - are they just talking about the software or does TechNet come with specific training labs, etc?

Also, I thought TechNet was going to be discontinued. Any idea if MS has a solution for us moving forward?

thanks!
  • Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You won't need TechNet or any similar program to configure your labs. There used to be an option to pay an annual fee to have access to most of MS OS's with licenses for internal/testing purposes.

Server 2008/2012 can be downloaded for free and come built in with 180 evaluations. This should be more than adequate and each rebuild of your lab, which should be fairly often when learning, restarts that evaluation timer. You can use VMware Workstation to install and test all components needed for your studies including virtualizing Hyper-V itself assuming you have enbough resources. An SSD is highly suggested as well as 8+GB of memory, 16+ is ideal.

For older OS's there is no good solution but you shouldn't really need to deploy them from a certification standpoint. If you want to maintain a long term internal lab, that's where TechNet subscriptions worked out nicely. I normally don't keep my test environments up for that long and forcing to rebuild them is good practice.
  • Options
    sacredboysacredboy Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glynixx what is your timeslot for obtaining MCSE?
    Best, sacredboy!
  • Options
    I was doing prep for my summer MBA class and that was the end of me. I am now prepping for my class that starts in Oct. I plan on starting my MCSA in late Dec / early Jan 2015. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I have to / should start with 70-410 (and then 411 & 412 to complete the MCSA).

Here's my plan (*all suggestions welcome!)
    I was planning on picking up the Transcender 70-410 course since I have an email coupon for 35% off.
    I have a sub to pluralsight so I was going to watch the videos.
    I have VMware workstation, can I use that to load the 180 trial?
    Which book is the best one to pick up at this point?

thank you!
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    @Glynixx are there any more 70-410 coupons ?
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would highly suggest doing your labbing in Hyper-v 2012/Windows 8 as you will need to know it for the exams
  • Options
    Is there a way to do this if you only have a single win7 system. Can I use VM workstation to load a server 2012 w hyper v and make machines from there? (sounds scary lol)

thanks!
  • Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Glynixx wrote: »
    Is there a way to do this if you only have a single win7 system. Can I use VM workstation to load a server 2012 w hyper v and make machines from there? (sounds scary lol)

thanks!
    You'll need to upgrade Win7 to 8.1 (you don't want Win8 ! :)) to utilise Hyper V client on your PC.
  • Options
    Qasim_KhanQasim_Khan Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Itrimble wrote: »
    @Glynixx are there any more 70-410 coupons ?

Transcender currently have 36% Off - Stumbled upon this as am looking to get some exam practice.

What would be the best test engine for the 70-410 ? Transcender - Measure up - Plural-sight etc etc...
  • Options
    Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have transcender at the moment but haven't really with the questions yet. I"m trying to build a lab and read windows server 2012 r2 book the green big one... I failed the first time but i'm taking my exam once again next month again... Wanted to give myself a little break and study some more.

Let me know which book you choice i might look into those
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • Options
    Hi
    the transcender site seems to be auto applying the sale now. if not, try the code: TRAJACKPOT14 for 36% off :)
  • Options
    Qasim_KhanQasim_Khan Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How often do transcender have discounts. The reason I ask is because I have not yet completed the material to attempt the questions. Would it be worth buying these questions now?
  • Options
    pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also try this site (as mentioned in another thread) for transcenders as it appears to be cheaper with 3yr licence:
    Discount IT Certification Exam Voucher for CompTIA and Microsoft