Options

Telnetting question

jmorris92jmorris92 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, i'm making a network in packet tracer where I want to be able to telnet into all the individual routers and switches from one individual pc 'LANMAN'.
This PC I have assigned IP 192.168.1.100, then there's a switch and then a router (gw 192.168.1.1). I can telnet into both the switch (management VLAN interface) and the router and I can ping across the network.

However, I can not ping into the router connected to the router that I can successfully telnet into; the majority of the network consist of 172.16.0.0 subnets, would this be an issue the fact it's not in the same subnet?.

I have made sure this router has 'line vty 0 4 > password cisco> login' entered and I am trying to telnet the IP of its gw closest to said PC but to no avail. Can anyone tell me how I can telnet across two routers?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you have routing set up?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Yeah OSPF, I can ping across the whole network but can't seem to ping other router or switchesicon_sad.gif Here's my topology https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnac7kq044lle4m/lan%2001%20working.pkt

• Options
    thenappyonethenappyone Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does the telnet connection have to go to the vlan 101? Because as your config is now you can telnet to the other interfaces on the router.
  • Options
    I just made VLAN101 for Management interfaces on the switches really, I seem to be able to telnet into all the routers except the ISP router where it says the connection is refused by remote host? I put the pc in the VLAN101 because I read that it needed to be part of the same VLAN. Confused icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    thenappyonethenappyone Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    On your switches look at the svi's i.e. up/down state and the router refusing the connection try establishing basic connectivity before getting fancy with nat.
  • Options
    GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi, the switches need "ip default-gateway [ip]" command, for the routers as said before dynamic routing would be a good option.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This one stumped me for a bit.
    In simulation mode read the TCP PDU details for In Layers/Layer 3
    So the order of translation throws off your telnet request.

I was able to telnet to 10.0.0.1 without changing the config.

One thing I didn't understand is why the ISP is translating the address in the first place.
  • Options
    GngoghGngogh Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi, i've messing around with your topology, and there r a lot of things you need to change in order to work the way you want:

1 - you are using OSPF to route between the different networks, but you did not create loopback interfaces for the OSPF process to use as Router-ID, instead OSPF is using some other interfaces as Router-ID, if one of this interfaces goes down the OSPF process as to start again.
    By using loopback interfaces we are not taking the risk, because this interfaces are always UP and never DOWN. this is not really important in your topology at the moment, but you can use this interfaces to telnet into the routers.

2 - you are trying to create vlan's on the routers, but there is no command that allows you to do that, you have assign an ip address to "int vlan 101" but if you issue the command "show vlan" you will see that vlan 101 was not added to the vlan database, this is why vlan 101 is down and it will be until you insert a switch module on the router ( NM-ESW-161 ) and after you can create vlan's on the router, but you cannot use the "vlan" command to create them, as u can see in the output:

Router(config)#vlan 101
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker

Instead what you have to do is to go into one of the interfaces of the switch module and configure it as an access port, as u can see in the output:

Router(config)#int f1/0
    Router(config-if)#sw mode access
    Router(config-if)#sw access vlan 101
    % Access VLAN does not exist. Creating vlan 101

Now issue the command "sh vlan" and u will see that the vlan was added to the vlan database.
    In my opinion i would skip this part of creating vlan's in the routers because it only makes your topology more complicated and confuse,
    and in reality u already have interfaces that u can connect to.

3 - Switches are on vlan 101. I would create a subinterface on the routers for this vlan and configure the switches with this command as well "ip default-gateway", if u dont configure the switches with this command you will not be able to telnet into them.

4 - The ISP router as a Static NAT statement, that redirects all traffic to the the server at 10.0.0.254, this is why you r not able to establish a telnet session to 200.10.0.2, change it to this:

Router(config)#no ip nat inside source static 10.0.0.254 200.10.0.2
    Router(config)#acc
    Router(config)#access-list 1 permit host 10.0.0.254
    Router(config)#ip nat inside source list 1 interface s0/0/0

G
    o to the LANMAN pc and try to telnet.

Packet Tracer PC Command Line 1.0
    PC>telnet 200.10.0.2
    Trying 200.10.0.2 ...Open AUTHORISED ACCESS ONLY

User Access Verification

Password:
    Router>en