Options

70-417 (MCSA 2012 upgrade) second time around....

bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
Finally got around to taking this exam again. I narrowly missed it in August last year after deciding to take it on a 'spur of the moment' basis and since then had a lot of work to get through and a wedding to plan (and pay for!!) so never really found the time to do it properly until now. Wedding now completed (was worth all the effort :) ), I thought I'd continue the recent 'life changing major event' theme and decided to move on so I also start a new job in two weeks so used some of the notice time as wisely as I could - I really wanted it outta the way with as I'll have other stuff to do.

I remember after I failed it the first time (on the last section), I was surprised at the difficulty but that may have been down to the fact I didn't really study fully from the objectives and haven't really used most of the new features in Server 2012 out there in the real world. I learned my lesson and got a few VM's up and went through the objectives properly and was confident I'd done enough when I ended the exam - and yup, passed it by a decent enough margin.

The exam was fair really, though I personally didn't enjoy studying for it over the last 6 weeks or so - I think that's about the 18th MS exam I've passed over the last 14yrs and these days I don't really delve into the MS stuff in great detail other than AD and base admin so I found it hard going to build up any kind of study motivation for things like IPAM. That said, I'll happily take the pass and start to look forward to my new role and more VMware/storage type stuff. I have no intentions of doing the MCSE: Server Infrastructure at this time. For those taking this, don't underestimate it but go through the objectives in detail, lab up and you'll be OK (i.e, follow the basics for any exam study, do it properly and you'll be fine).

Best wishes and good luck!
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln