Options

Need a bit of advice

ocrigginsocriggins Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone. I am bit of a peculiar position in my career. Right now I manage all the IT for a small company (we recruit for pharmaceutical companies). Long story short, I came into the company working in a recruiting role. One of the reasons they hired me was because I had familiary with computers--no schooling just self taught (your typical modder and overclocker). A year and a half later I am running all the IT. I actually learned as I went along and designed the whole network. I setup AD in Windows Server 2003 and setup Exchange 2003. I even ran all the new network lines. I am responsible for all the software and equuipment purchases. We have about 25 users or so, but it's divided up into three divisions. I am actually pretty pround of what I done because we are pretty secure and don't get any virus or bombarded with spam. This is not a sophisticated network by any means (I sure if one of you guys came in and took a look, you might be shaking your head a bit).

Anyway to my question. I just recently got my A+ and I am going for Network+ in two weeks. My goal for now is to get MCSA, but IT was not my original career choice and I am 2/3 done with a grad degree in Educational Technology (basically computer-based instruction). Should I keep on pumping out the certifications (they are paying for the exams at work) and work on finding a better job where I can get a bit more experience or should I hang on here a bit until I get certified?

Basically, is my experience at my present job really going to hold a lot of weight in the job market? I just turned 30 and I don't want head down a new career path if I am late in the game, but I do pick up fast. My ideal goal would be to work in a university using all my IT and computer-based instruction skills. What do you guys think?

Thanks big-time in advance,

OC

Comments

• Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    This really depends on lots of things. If you have some free time in your current job and the pay is not too bad, it might not be a bad idea to stick around long enough to get some certifications, or start thinking about finishing your degree.

It is hard to focus on these things with the stress of starting a new job, and IT jobs tend not to stay around long. If you have job security where you are, leaving might not be a good idea unless you are really underpaid.

If you are looking to advance, it is often best to look at doing that in the company you are working for first before deciding to move out.

Promotions in your current company look good on a resume also. If your title/pay is still for recruiting, you could beef up your resume then ask your employer to reclassify your job as what you are doing and pay you for it.

If that does not work, look around for something else.
  • Options
    Hey thanks for the reply. Yeah, the pay is not too bad I guess--I pull in about 36-38k depending on commision stuff. There is not any really room for advancement because I am it for IT--I do everything from networking to phone lines to all the fun computer stuff.

Yeah, it's tough trying to find a new job and get certified at the same time. I can do some pretty amazing stuff with Flash and Photoshop and stuff, but it's the same boat there--they look for experience--so I have struck out there. I am not sure how much my degree will help that's why I really want to get into a university setting. I guess maybe the best thing would be stick it out at my job and get certified. How far can a MCSA take you these days?

OC
  • Options
    milliampmilliamp Member Posts: 135
    I don't work with MS stuff, but I don't think the MCSA alone is worth much money. I checked some salary surverys and I think on average they list it as about $48,000.

You can't really state the MCSA is worth that much money, as most people in the survey would probably doing the same job without it and making $45,000. I am going to say that starting in a new company as an MCSA wold be more like $40G or maybe lower.

I am guessing on those numbers though since I live in a really rural area, and here $40G would be alot to expect for a CCNP.

You have A+ out of the way though, so you have 4 exams currently between you and the MCSA. If you get Network+ first you only have to take 3 MS exams and you will be MCSA, Network+, and A+ which is a pretty solid start.
  • Options
    Hey thanks again. I live in CT where that salaries would be a bit higher. I have applied to a couple of University jobs and the salaries for what they call a Information Technology Technican is between 40-45k, which for me would be fine for now. I am looking at the overall picture so I don't mind if the big bucks are little way away. What's pretty funny to me is that I do a lot of work at Grad School and in the computer lab and I know I can do the job. I do most of my school work on my MAC and believe it or not I found a major security hole in there system. I basically could have access to network shares remotely that were restricted to just my grad department. Needless to say they weren't too grateful when I pointed it out. I think a lot of what I know is very practical that learned throughout my own trial and tribulations. Unfortunately things like don't come across on your resume.

Pushing for the MSCA would be okay, because it definitely would help me out at work. I can start implementing new things I learn, which can't hurt.

OC