Options

GPO to install office 2003

silvensilven Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi

im trying to use a active directory GPO to install office 2003. i get the GPO to work, but when the client tries to open (install) the progam, it promts him for the serial key.

how would one go about creating a script/.msi file that will automaticly add the serial key (perferable without the user seeing it)?

thanks
H! there

Comments

• Options
    JengelanderJengelander Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    silven wrote:
    hi

im trying to use a active directory GPO to install office 2003. i get the GPO to work, but when the client tries to open (install) the progam, it promts him for the serial key.

how would one go about creating a script/.msi file that will automaticly add the serial key (perferable without the user seeing it)?

thanks

Maybe we can help eachother, I cannot get it to work so maybe you can tell me how you did it, like the steps. The way I got the serialkey into the shared distribution point is to follow this guys advice:

http://www.petri.co.il/office_system_2003_sp_slipstreaming.htm

I hope you can help me and that this helps!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Microsoft also recommends creating an MSI file for redistrobution, specifically for Group Policy. For that, you'll need a MSI Repackager, (there's a good one on the 2003 setup disc,) and a clean system. On a fresh install, install Office and run the MSI Packaging tool. (Mind you, this is all in theory, I haven't gotten drunk enough to try it, yet.)

If it works, you should be able to create a snapshot of the install and create a package that'll simply create the proper filepaths, shortcuts, and registry entries to push through Group Policy. I'm going to snoop around and find you the link to the setup instructions on Technet, so hang tight.

You guys have the right idea, though. Slipstreaming isn't a bad option, especially when you're installing a Microsoft program into a Microsoft OS. Either way "should" work. (Just like I "should" be working.)

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.