Options

VLAN Question

bankintherollbankintheroll Member Posts: 121
I created a little VLSM network on Packet Tracer. I setup a router connected to a switch, then another switch connected to that switch, with a few PCs on each switch.

I can get every PC to ping each other and to the router, and vice versa, but I can't ping the switches. The IP on the switches is on VLAN 1. I created 2 VLANs, 10 and 20. Do I need to create an IP on each virtual switch interface to be able to ping? Or am I doing something wrong? Or do you even need to be able to ping switches from PCs?

Also, I don't have an interface IP on the router, just virtual interface IPs.

Comments

• Options
    martell1000martell1000 Member Posts: 389
    "The IP on the switch is on VLAN 1. I created 2 VLANs, 10 and 20."

the ip your pinging from needs to be in vlan1 or have a route to reach vlan1

is you inter vlan routing to vlan 1 correct?
    And then, I started a blog ...
  • Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You only need to be able to ping the switches if you want to manage them remotely via ip rather than via console. To do this normally you would create a separate vlan for management, lets say vlan 100, create a subinterface .100 on the router with an ip address in the management subnet. Allow vlan 100 on the trunk between router and switch and between switches. Configure a vlan 100 on all switches along with the corresponding svi with management ip address. All management addresses in vlan 100 will be part of the same subnet.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    Good point. Thank you for that.
  • Options
    So, if all routers and PCs can ping each other, does the switch even need a default gateway? I would think not, because the router just has virtual interfaces and not an IP on the physical interface.

Sorry for my ignorance guys. I haven't even taken my CCENT yet, but am trying my damnedest to teach myself.
  • Options
    You only need a default gateway if the switch needs to communicate to an ip address off the local subnet. The default gateway would point to a router, the router will then route between the different subnets.
  • Options
    Okay, so if I connect a 2nd router to the 1st one via serial, I would need a default IP when PCs from the 1st router talk to PCs connected to the 2nd router?

Sorry, this is probably such a simple concept, but I got kind of confused putting together a network of VLANs and subnets using VLSM.
  • Options
    you need to ensure that you have routing enabled between the VLANs this is either done by configuring a "router on a stick" or L3 switching

"router on a stick" is what Ed pointed out with creating sub interfaces to ensure routing but that concept is rather outdated in the real world - so you need some L3 switching How To Configure InterVLAN Routing on Layer 3 Switches - Cisco

read this and if you have any questions feel free to ask
  • Options
    Yes, since routers have a different subnet per interface, if you need to communicate off subnet you need a default gateway.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you need to ensure that you have routing enabled between the VLANs this is either done by configuring a "router on a stick" or L3 switching

"router on a stick" is what Ed pointed out with creating sub interfaces to ensure routing but that concept is rather outdated in the real world - so you need some L3 switching How To Configure InterVLAN Routing on Layer 3 Switches - Cisco

read this and if you have any questions feel free to ask

You're basically creating interfaces on your respective vlans and enabling routing on the switch.
  • Options
    I think he should learn the basic concepts of routing and switching individually before he starts looking at l3 switches. Routing on a stick is an important concept in the ccna, l3 switches is more a ccnp topic.
  • Options
    Thank all of you so much for your help! I'm going to get router-on-a-stick down before anything else, but also read some more on layer 3 switching.

I am also going to connect another router, and try both static routing and OSPF between those 2.

I'll come back if I have anymore questions. This place is great and you guys are awesome for taking the time to help people like me!
  • Options
    EdTheLad wrote: »
    I think he should learn the basic concepts of routing and switching individually before he starts looking at l3 switches. Routing on a stick is an important concept in the ccna, l3 switches is more a ccnp topic.

didnt they put l3 switching in the new ccna? but i agree he should get the concepts first (and i admit that the term "router on a stick" still makes me think of food :D)
  • Options
    No idea, just think of when i did ccna, i hate the term "routing on a stick", sounds so silly to me, i only use it on this website.
  • Options
    at least it STICKS to the head because it sounds so stupid :D