Salute to Database People!

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
At work I've been looking at a number of internal projects where I will need to build some databases. Most of the projects I've done were small where a single table would do the job, but more recently as I've thought about the projects I know something more advanced will be required. As I delve into the design I realize how truly complicated designing and building a database is. Hats off to you, database people!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    At work I've been looking at a number of internal projects where I will need to build some databases. Most of the projects I've done were small where a single table would do the job, but more recently as I've thought about the projects I know something more advanced will be required. As I delve into the design I realize how truly complicated designing and building a database is. Hats off to you, database people!

Thanks!

When you start to get into the data warehousing and ETL, it becomes even more challenging. It's why I prefer this work, it challenges me everyday.... I get to work with some of the most brilliant people though, so it's most certainly worth it.
  • ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yep. They awesome.
  • Todd BonzalesTodd Bonzales Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took a database design class last semester. Let's just say my brain doesn't work in the logical way a database designer needs... icon_lol.gif
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took a database design class last semester. Let's just say my brain doesn't work in the logical way a database designer needs... icon_lol.gif

It really takes a long time, at least it did for me. My first year was rough, I could write joins and sub queries easy coding like that, but getting into derive tables and load tables and archiving strategies it gets tough.

You also have to love solving business problems, it's more of a BI/business role than an IT role. You have to understand all of the systems and how they work together and bring these "sets" together in a way that makes sense especially when denormalizing data into Facts and Dimensions.

Or

If you are designing for a transactional system you'll need to know the business process so you can model correctly and not only model but optimization etc....