Options

What questions do you ask the interviewer?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
I like to ask questions back however I feel mine are getting stale. I do ask one and it's a must when it comes to project work. What type of collaboration methods do you use? If they stumble or seem like a deer in the head lights I won't take the position. Projects with out project meetings (at least weekly, with all (most) stakeholders) are the most worthless work efforts known to man.

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't have canned specific questions and tend to tailor them towards what I've been told and what I don't already know. For me, company culture is a big issue, so I'm more likely to ask probing questions about that.
  • Options
    draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a list of questions I bring with me to interviews here are a few:

[FONT=&amp]Can you tell me about the team I’ll be working with? Notice how the question is phrased; it assumes you will get the job. This question also tells you about the people you will interact with on a daily basis, so listen to the answer closely.

Do you have any reservations about my qualifications?: It takes guts to ask that one. I won't ask it if I feel things are going very well. If I can't read the interviewer I will.

[/FONT]
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is there a potential for career progression within the company?
    What training opportunities are available to staff?
    What would be my daily responsibilities (if not already answered)?
    How would you describe the company culture?
    How will my performance be measured?
    Where do you think the company is heading in X years time?
    What are the biggest challenges facing the company right now?

Some of them are more basic questions but it shows you're keen on the role.

I've got some job interviews coming up, these questions I will be asking. Thanks for the ideas.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I ask questions similar to the ones in the Step Brothers interview scene:

- How much money do you make per year before taxes?
    - Oprah, Barbara Walters, your wife - you have to f@#k one, kill one, marry one, GO!
    Then follow that up by stating the stuff you are not good at to be clear up front icon_cheers.gif

Danielm7 already described my approach. I don't have a generic list of questions I ask every potential employer. Just depends on the gap between what I know and don't know by the time we reach the "do you have any questions for us" portion of the interview.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It may seem odd, but I have added a couple of questions to my list recently and they seem to catch people off guard:

1. Does your team have a five-year plan (learned that from a student)? I usually make sure to tailor it to the position/department, so as to be clear.

2. At the end of the interview, I also ask if there is anything that I need to work on? Presentation, training on new skills, brushing up on old skills that may have atrophied, etc. I tend to ask this since a lot of organizations don't/won't give feedback as to why you didn't get the job/next interview, etc.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Outside of the normal stuff about general company, pay, benefits, duties etc. I try to find a bit about the team in general.

Why the position is open? Is it growth or backfill?

How long have the other members been on the team?

What kind of projects is your team working on this year?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depending on the seniority of the interviewer, I like to talk about directions they see their niche of the industry going. A lot can change in a year, much less five or more.
    stryder144 wrote: »
    2. At the end of the interview, I also ask if there is anything that I need to work on? Presentation, training on new skills, brushing up on old skills that may have atrophied, etc. I tend to ask this since a lot of organizations don't/won't give feedback as to why you didn't get the job/next interview, etc.
    That's not bad, but do make sure you're saving it for the very end of the interview. "How did I do" tends to change the dynamic of the interview and reset whatever comfort level everyone has reached.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • Options
    Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    " Can you describe your organizations Change Management Process? "
  • Options
    Node Man wrote: »

Typically...blank stare.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Options
    Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What happen to the last person/people who held this job?
    What is company culture like?
    What is the pay scale? (By law in CA, employers must answer this question with a range)
    What do you feel needs to be improved here?
    What do you like about working here?

If the employer snaps at me for asking any of these questions than it's a red flag in my book. I always ask questions during the interview not at the end because by than the employer/candidate could've already made up there minds if they are going to make you an offer or not. I usually save a few general questions towards the end.
  • Options
    Another question I like to ask, which often causes squirming, is this: "what problem are you trying to solve through this position?"

• Options
    LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I tend to care a lot about technology stack and processes, so that's what I tailor my side of the interview towards.

Last thing I want is to manually manage servers running a 10 year old OS with no power to tear everything down and rebuild properly.
  • Options
    Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If your doing Governement contracting always ask:

1) How long was the contract award?
    2) What option year are you on the contract award?
    3) Whats the reason for the other person leaving?
    4) how long have you been with the company/or onsite with the customer and what do you enjoy about it
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like to ask questions back however I feel mine are getting stale. I do ask one and it's a must when it comes to project work. What type of collaboration methods do you use? If they stumble or seem like a deer in the head lights I won't take the position. Projects with out project meetings (at least weekly, with all (most) stakeholders) are the most worthless work efforts known to man.

What is the culture like?

What is a typical day like?

Who would I be working with?

For projects or contracts..

Is this a new project?
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    SpetsRepairSpetsRepair Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like to know what size team I would be working on
    Do they have a training program for new hires or are you going to be thrown into a role? (Seems like everywhere i work you just get thrown in there and good luck) No, I don't sink I figure things out quickly (First week at current position and boss even said sink or swim)
    Really need to understand the team dynamics and want to know as much as I can get during the interview process about the actual job and team they have
  • Options
    barberj66barberj66 Member Posts: 86 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    I tend to care a lot about technology stack and processes, so that's what I tailor my side of the interview towards.

Last thing I want is to manually manage servers running a 10 year old OS with no power to tear everything down and rebuild properly.

+1 for this, I don't mind older systems/kit if there is a clear plan or you can implement a clear plan for replacement and upgrading. I've declined interviews with companies who are running 10year+ systems as you have to ask yourself why haven't you already taken care of these kinds of things before now!

Typical questions I ask are;
    What training opportunities are there
    Is there scope for career progression
    whats the company culture like
    What is the size of the current IT team and what knowledge gaps if any would I be filling
    What IT projects do you have on the horizon and would I be involved in them
    What would my role look like after 6 months, 1 year +,
    Goals for 2019: ICND2 first of all then see how it goes.
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
    https://jballaboutit.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Show that your are interested questions..
    Ask about the position
    Ask about the company.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is there a potential for career progression within the company?
    What training opportunities are available to staff?
    What would be my daily responsibilities (if not already answered)?
    How would you describe the company culture?
    How will my performance be measured?
    Where do you think the company is heading in X years time?
    What are the biggest challenges facing the company right now?

Some of them are more basic questions but it shows you're keen on the role.

I had my job interview for a role in Germany. I asked all of these questions, some caught them off guard icon_lol.gif
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While there are some really good suggestions, there's also a bit of "me" in this thread. There's nothing wrong with that but there are ways to ask for something that is benefits related where you don't seem grasping. This applies to training, stock options, telework, etc.

Training: It's good to keep people knowledgeable but a lot of managers have been burned by people taking training and then leaving. And while you could insist the employee repay training if they leave within a certain time-frame, the actual cost of training involved more than just the class. The cost also includes your salary and the opportunity-cost of you attending training, you aren't doing a week's worth of work. So rather than "what kind of training opportunities do you have", the question should focus on the benefits of the training, like "What processes do you have in place to ensure staff remain capable of providing modern solutions to the organization?"

Telework: Rather than asking if they offer telework, assume they do but also assume it's a benefit only offered to those who have proven themselves capable of working unsupervised. " At what point do you offer telework to personnel that have shown themselves capable of performing high-quality work?"

The key is to put pressure on the interviewer. Lots of managers will be squeamish about promising training to someone they just met but darned few will say they don't want people with good skills. Likewise, asking for telework during the interview gives warning signs of being a slacker but suggesting it's an earned benefit for people that have proven themselves, insinuates that someone who doesn't allow this doesn't trust even the most valued employees, which makes it harder to refuse comfortably.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I always ask them random stupid questions like "If you were a rock, what kind would you be?"

Ok, not really. :)
  • Options
    SaltyHashesSaltyHashes Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    These types of questions for the interviewer are to understand the prospective working environment you're going in:

What caused this position to open up?
    (Find out if there is high turnover or if someone got recently promoted.)

What are your expectations for me in the first 30, 60, and 90 days?
    (Find out if the hiring manager has clear expectations for you.)

What problems are you facing that I can immediately help you with if I were to be hired?
    (This checks to see if they understood your qualifications and experience. If they're able to easily identify areas that you can help with, you did a good job of communicating why you're an ideal candidate for the position. If they are unsure, it wouldn't hurt to lead the conversation back to why your experience is relevant to the role they're hiring for.)
  • Options
    I always ask them random stupid questions like "If you were a rock, what kind would you be?"

Ok, not really. :)

The only right answer: Dwayne Johnson...duh! lol

I've heard of interviewers asking questions like that. I hope I don't encounter that since I would probably answer with what I posted above. My sense of humor is more of an acquired taste, I suppose.

• Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    The only right answer: Dwayne Johnson...duh! lol

I've heard of interviewers asking questions like that. I hope I don't encounter that since I would probably answer with what I posted above. My sense of humor is more of an acquired taste, I suppose.

We started asking applicants what their spirit animal is.
  • Options
    BlackBeret wrote: »
    We started asking applicants what their spirit animal is.

lol...I would answer with Magpie.

• Options
    I'd probably get up and walk out at this stage

I've only really had one strange interview where the interviewer asked me if I liked going out drinking pints of whiskey?! Pints!!? Then took a phone call and never came back and left his 2nd in charge sat there like an idiot not knowing what to ask etc I said seen as though hes not coming back we may as well call it a day and left.

Most unprofessional interview I've had and funnily enough before he disappeared was giving it large how they had money to burn and want to model themselves on Google, safe to say they will never get anywhere near and they were just a small kitchen company!
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    barberj66 wrote: »
    I'd probably get up and walk out at this stage

I've only really had one strange interview where the interviewer asked me if I liked going out drinking pints of whiskey?! Pints!!? Then took a phone call and never came back and left his 2nd in charge sat there like an idiot not knowing what to ask etc I said seen as though hes not coming back we may as well call it a day and left.

Most unprofessional interview I've had and funnily enough before he disappeared was giving it large how they had money to burn and want to model themselves on Google, safe to say they will never get anywhere near and they were just a small kitchen company!

Pints of Whiskey! icon_lol.gif Good lord, talk about getting smashed!
  • Options
    10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Node Man wrote: »
    HAHAHAHA tooo savage for life.

"Sir, would you say thats more of a predictive or agile methodology?"
    LOL.
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    1. As someone who had the opportunity to interview for this position, what are the quality your looking for that would indicate a great fit into the team. And if i am selected ... how would u want me to work towards that.

Not only this leave an impression, it can also give an idea on how the interviewer (manager) evaluates their hires. This will also give an idea who you will be working with.

2. A question specific to the Manager: Whats the biggest challenge you have face here, and what are the hurdles involve in overcoming them from start till end, and how is it solve eventually.

The key here is to sound out if the manager is a problem solver since ur gonna work for him. A good manager will be able to describe more than a few steps in solving the problem and the details to solving it. If the manager isn't getting the ideal response, you can follow up to ask for specific details from planning to implentation of solving the problem.

2b. So to clarify, how is it like from the planning at the start to the implentation at the end? How long did it take u and what are the significant things u had done to get there.

Dont ever work with a manager that cant describe more than 1 step in solving the problem. There are no challenge in this world being ever solve in a single step, any manager who cant go into details and list out the steps are not problem solver. These managers won't take responsibility and instead will try to push them down to others.
  • Options
    Pints of Whiskey! icon_lol.gif Good lord, talk about getting smashed!

icon_lol.gif didn't realise I came across as an alcoholic!! Safe to say if I drank 1 pint of whiskey I'd probably drop dead haha
    CCENT Passed 28/11/18!