League of Legends can teach us a valuable lesson about cybersecurity

I stumbled across this article the other day, and was surprised to find a valuable lesson in it! For the uninitiated, League of Legends is an online "battle arena" style game that relies heavily on working as a team, and usually a loss can be attributed to a weaker link in the team. As usual, the team is only as good as its weakest link.

The community around the game is commonly described to be pretty toxic, where veteran players take out their frustrations on their less-experienced teammates. I really thought the moral of the article would be something along the lines of "don't give in to the nerd rage," but it was a bit more insightful than that. Instead, the lesson was this:

No matter what someone doesn’t know, what mistakes they’ve made, or what they’ve forgotten or overlooked, they’re still worthy of being seen as intelligent and capable in their own right.

It's pretty easy to use the screen to separate yourself from your users, and it tends to dehumanize the interactions we have. What's important to remember is that no one was born with knowledge, and that it's IT's job to solve the security awareness problem. How we do so depends on how we can empathize with our users.

Let me know what you think of the article! Check it out here »
Community Manager at Infosec!
Who we are | What we do

Comments

• Infosec_SamInfosec_Sam Admin Posts: 527 Admin
    There's more salt in League of Legends than a British chippy on a Saturday night.
    Isn't that the truth! I honestly feel like I've seen a considerable quality of life improvement since giving it up.
    Who we are | What we do
    I wish I could say the same. Didn't stay on LoL or WoW for too long, but Runescape, that's a whole other level... 'I can stop playing whenever I want'... (15 years later).
    I relapse back into Old School Runescape at least twice per year! I spend a month or two grinding the hell out of it and then put it down, a little ashamed of myself. We never quit - just take long breaks!
    Who we are | What we do
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    edited May 2019
    There's more salt in League of Legends than a British chippy on a Saturday night.

The same is true of Counter-Strike. A team game with a lot of *$^%#! language. I much preferred Team Fortress Classic matches to any CS server banter.

• TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    edited May 2019

I'm not familiar with League of Legends, but I've experienced that same thing when i used to play World Of Warcraft, your member of a team of five (or 10 for raids) and say your a healer and your can't keep up the healing on a warrior or "tanks" attacking pace, your quickly kicked from the party and replaced.

The game used to involve a lot of planning when attacking group of monsters in a dungeon, mage you sheep monster with the X, warlock cast your sleep spell on the monster marked with the Diamond, Hunter pull the boss out of the room far as you can before feigning death while we deal with the remaining monsters, the warrior attack, concentrate you fire on monster marked with the box, fight, win, rest for the next fight. It's not like this anymore, it's pull fast as I can, no resting or planning between fights, if I pull too many monsters and I die, its your fault not healing me quick enough, kick, get auto replaced. It's get to max level quick as you can, few do the enjoy the leveling process, it's like hurry up and get this life crap finished so we can retire and not work anymore.

Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was more like Gordon Freeman geek B)
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP

I'm not familiar with League of Legends, but I've experienced that same thing when i used to play World Of Warcraft, your member of a team of five (or 10 for raids) and say your a healer and your can't keep up the healing on a warrior or "tanks" attacking pace, your quickly kicked from the party and replaced.

The game used to involve a lot of planning when attacking group of monsters in a dungeon, mage you sheep monster with the X, warlock cast your sleep spell on the monster marked with the Diamond, Hunter pull the boss out of the room far as you can before feigning death while we deal with the remaining monsters, the warrior attack, concentrate you fire on monster marked with the box, fight, win, rest for the next fight. It's not like this anymore, it's pull fast as I can, no resting or planning between fights, if I pull too many monsters and I die, its your fault not healing me quick enough, kick, get auto replaced. It's get to max level quick as you can, few do the enjoy the leveling process, it's like hurry up and get this life crap finished so we can retire and not work anymore.

I hear ya there - I could talk for hours on the "work to live" vs "live to work" ideas and the theory that life cannot be enjoyed until retirement. Video games sure do teach us quite a lot about many different things!
    Who we are | What we do
  • MeggoMeggo Registered Users Posts: 197 Admin
    LoL is a dark place. ;)

I loved WoW circa 2008, expansions since ICC have not been great imo. I haven't seriously played since probably 2011? 

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/us/dragonblight/meggo
    Director of Product Marketing at Infosec
    Who we are | What we do 
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Before there was League of Legends, there was Quake 2/3 Rocket Arena and Team Death Match.  B)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Deathmatch started with DooM and Doom II back in the early 1990's. I use to play with my stepson using two laptops and a serial crossover cable. From DooM Deathmatch went to Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Half-life, Half-life 2, Team Fortress Classic, and Team Fortress 2. That's basically been the last 25+ years of my FPS gaming life.
  • DZA_DZA_ Member Posts: 467 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray said:
    Deathmatch started with DooM and Doom II back in the early 1990's. I use to play with my stepson using two laptops and a serial crossover cable. From DooM Deathmatch went to Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3 Arena, Half-life, Half-life 2, Team Fortress Classic, and Team Fortress 2. That's basically been the last 25+ years of my FPS gaming life.
    You sir have summed up my childhood. Those were the good old days. 
  • 10Linefigure10Linefigure Member Posts: 368 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Halo on Xbox live before it was monitored..... lol.. the abuse was unreal. Probably some of the most savage roasts known to man happened over those mic's. 

LoL used to be bad, but I played last year for about 3 weeks when I was interviewing with Riot before they offered me a job. The community had actually cleaned up a lot and there were new tools to keep raging players in check. Actually wish I had more time to go back and play now. 
    CCNP R&S, Security+
    B.S. Geography - Business Minor
    MicroMasters - CyberSecurity
    Professional Certificate - IT Project Management
    edited May 2019
    Halo on Xbox live before it was monitored..... lol.. the abuse was unreal. Probably some of the most savage roasts known to man happened over those mic's. 
    Ahh, yes. Back around 2007-2010 there was a window before censorship really took place in online games, and I remember taking a verbal beating in games like Halo 3 and Call of Duty. I'm convinced that living through this has had a significant positive impact on the thickness of my skin.
    Who we are | What we do
  • bubble2005bubble2005 Member Posts: 210 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray said:
    You missed a few....Doom and Quake for sure. But in parallel were Unreal Tournament and later 90's Golden Eye. :)
    Think Big Stay Focus: In the midst of all situations, think positive.:thumbup:
  • jeremy_dfirjeremy_dfir Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DZA_ said:
    JDMurray said:
    You sir have summed up my childhood. Those were the good old days. 
    I won't mention Duke Nukem 3D and Wolfenstein, otherwise i will be the grandpa of this thread.