Options

cisco ios

noman_edu2002noman_edu2002 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
hello .hope everyone will be fine .can any body tell me
when we set up password on usar mode and privalge mode while configuring the switch .now when we want to telnet the switch now if we dont setup password on vty we will be unable to telnet the switch .let say we set password on vty 0 4.now when we telnet switch it will ask for the password .now the question is when we telnet it ,it will ask for which password???. that we use for vty 0 4 ??? or that we use for user mode .

i mean aftar setting password on vty 0 4 ,user mode ,privilage mode .when we telnet the switch which password will it first ask for ????

i hope u get my question .kindly explain it

Comments

• Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey norman!
    Welcome to TE!

To start you must first get into global configuration mode:
    Router> enable
    Router# configure terminal
    Router(config)# <-- you are now in global configuration mode

To enable a password on your console port (password that immediately shows up when you try to logon to the router or switch):
    Router(config)#line console 0
    Router(config-line)#password password
    Router(config-line)#login

To enable a password on telnet:
    Router(config)# line vty 0 4
    Router(config-line)#password password
    Router(config-line)#login

To enable a password to get the privilege mode (password prompt that appears when you try to use the configure terminal command):
    Router(config)# enable password (or secret) password

You'll see the picture below when you try to access the router again after timeout or completely logging out.

Router.jpg

I used a router input setup for these instructions but its the same for switches I believe. I think this is what you needed; if not let me know :)
  • Options
    spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    A way to make this easy for yourself(at least for home labbing) is to just use local logins. First you have to set up a user in global configuration.

Switch(config)#username (user) password (password)

Now if you really don't want to have to remember all the passwords you set and just this one, you can throw in a privilege command into that.

Switch(config)#username (username) privilege 15 password (password)

Now when you're configuring your console/VTY line you don't even need to set a password, jsut throw in the "login local" command, and it'll check againt your local usernames for authentication, and since you've thrown in the privilege level 15 command it will automatically put you into privilege mode. 1 username/password for everything.

EDIT: Threw in a few example screenshots from packet tracer on how this configuration will look to setup and how it will look when you try to access the console. Notice how after enterting the local username/password you're automatically put in privilege mode.
    1.jpg 27.7K
    2.jpg 12.5K
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    To my knowledge telneting will always ask you for a password even if you don't have one set. It will just be nothing. I could be wrong though, it has been awhile since I have not set a password...

EDIT: I was wrong, see below.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    chmorin wrote: »
    To my knowledge telneting will always ask you for a password even if you don't have one set. It will just be nothing. I could be wrong though, it has been awhile since I have not set a password...

If you have no password set on the vty lines you wont be able to access the device via telnet. If I recall you should get an error message saying something like "password required but none set"
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have no password set on the vty lines you wont be able to access the device via telnet. If I recall you should get an error message saying something like "password required but none set"

Yep, thats correct.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□

Right that is how it works... sorry the years of typing in vty passwords for cisco have caused me to forget this haha. I knew telnet always required a password, just didnt remember it wouldn't let you log in with none set.

But now that you mention it, I have gotten that error before.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    noman_edu2002noman_edu2002 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank u all for such a detail explanation .but icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif my simple question was
    when we set password on
    1) user mode
    2) prvilage mode
    3) and vty 0 4(setting password on the telnet ports)

Now when we telnet this switch aftar all thses password setting

what will password require (when we telnet the switch )

will it be password that we set for user mode or passord that we set for vty 0,4

i hope u get it now icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    WHen you telnet to the switch you are connecting to a VTY port, therefore the password required will be what is set for the VTY lines.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus