Options

still worth getting?

Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
I am currently getting my A+/Net+/Sec+ and since the MCDST is going to retire, is there a point to getting it? will something replace it?
Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    No, not worth it. It has been replaced by the MCITP: EST for both Vista and Win 7.

Edit: I would go for the EST7 and EDA7 after you are done with CompTIA.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No, not worth it. It has been replaced by the MCITP: EST for both Vista and Win 7.

Edit: I would go for the EST7 and EDA7 after you are done with CompTIA.

I actually want to take it after the MCSE. I took a sample test for the 271 and scored like 80%. I think I could knock both of these tests off in about a month, and take the upgrade test.

Careerwise I don't think it will be a huge help, but it will be an ego boost that I have a new certification, and one that will be shortly retired at that.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I did my MCDST after finishing the MCSA, it was pretty easy after the 291. I got a discount on it at my school, otherwise, I might not have bothered. I think it took me less than 3 weeks for both exams.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Careerwise I don't think it will be a huge help, but it will be an ego boost that I have a new certification, and one that will be shortly retired at that.

Never had anyone comment on mine. The 271 was my MCP. I learned a lot. I took the 272 after my 291 to get my MCSA. Other than that it was useless to me.

Edit- Just noticed I didn't even mention it on my cert list...
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    is it some of the same stuff covered in A+ and Net+, or no?
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Windows XP will be around for a long time to come. If I were in your position I would consider taking it and then the 70-682 to upgrade to Windows 7 which is a composite of the 680 & 685...

Instead of just having MCTS & MCITP on your resume and the skills that go with them you will also have MCP and MCDST and who knows that could get you past HR and in to an interview.

It certainly isn't a career killer not to get the MCDST but at the same time it is a good place to start in the MS cert world.
  • Options
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    is it some of the same stuff covered in A+ and Net+, or no?
    In a way yes, but from an MS specific slant. There is a lot about IE and OutLook/OutLook Express on the 272. The 271 is very much Enterprise sort of stuff, general networking and domain related stuff.

Here is my opinion:
    You already have an XP based certification. Microsoft has not gone back in time and rewritten the features of Windows 7 so that it is totally different from XP, really they have added features. MCDST + MCSA/MCSE 2003 with Win 7 as the client exam makes sense to me. This shows that you are firmly grounded in the present with technologies in use today (XP and Server 2003) but also that you have an eye on the future and are keeping your skills up-to-date and relevent. If I were starting on my MCSE today having already completed MCDST, I would not consider taking the XP exam unless it was specifically requested by my employer. Most employers do not look at the individual MCP exams you have taken anyway. They look at your cumulitive certs.

If a person is looking to break into IT at the support level and has a plan of getting certified over the next 6 months I would still say go for the Windows 7 exams. XP will still be hanging around for another few years, but if your taking your exams in mid 2010 Win 7 is going to be important. I am not saying DON'T take any XP exams (maybe you should). But on a tight budget, if you have to go "either or" I think you will get more bang for your buck from starting with Win 7.

Here is my perspective as a person who has done hiring in IT in the past:

1. It's 2010 and Windows 7 has been out for almost a year. I am starting to deploy it in my environment. Here comes this newbie with an XP cert and all he knows is RIS. Now I have to train him in Windows 7 deployment and make sure he is familiar with all of the new features of 7. These features are the entire reason we are migrsting any way.

2. Here is a another entry level newbie with Windows 7 certification who has used XP for the past 7+ years. He knows XP because he's been using it for a long time and because most of the concepts learned from his Win 7 studies will be easily transferable to XP because he has used both. I don't have to teach him as much about deployment and the new group policy features we will be using when we roll out Win 7.

Who do I choose?
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's a yes and no depending on your environment and current job market. Most companies are still boasting Windows XP and don't plan on changing for awhile. A good example would be banks, a lot of banks that I've been doing contract work for lately are actually staying with XP even after deploying new computers to their employees. This means an MCDST would be beneficial in those environments.

TBH with you, it comes down to whether you can afford it or not. I'm with the guy who said to get the MCDST and then go for the Windows 7 stuff. I'm sure I've had more doors open up because I had both my MCDST and MCTS: Windows 7 Config, as opposed to just my MCTS. If you don't plan on going for the MCITP: EA then go for the MCDST and bridge with the 682 exam. If you do plan to get into servers and do the EA then it might be better to just take the 680 instead of bridging. Sure you won't get the MCITP: EST, but you'll still have a proven knowledge of both Windows 7 and XP.

Just my two cents.
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I say go for it. I just did a new PC rollout at an allstate office building and we just replaced old XP machines with new XP machines. Most businesses aren't planning to upgrade any time soon. I'll agree with Mike P above that it would be beneficial to also get some Windows 7 certs.
    While the stats say that XP still holds 60 something % of the market and it's declining that is mostly because of home users switching. Businesses are staying with XP because they have so many applications that are not compatible with Windows 7. It will be a while before XP is gone from the enterprise environment.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.