Options

My new home for about a month

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    The 291,293, 298, and 299 M$ books cover security fairly well. I also use technet, read security bulletins, etc. I have some hands-on labs for the security portions of these courses if you want.

I want.

I see a few books on amazon I might pick up. Are the security resource kits worth anything?

Also on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of depth, how deep do the Mastering Windows and Inside Out books go vs the cert guides and admin guides? For someone who is trying to get working knowledge, would one be better over the other?
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I want.

I see a few books on amazon I might pick up. Are the security resource kits worth anything?

Also on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of depth, how deep do the Mastering Windows and Inside Out books go vs the cert guides and admin guides? For someone who is trying to get working knowledge, would one be better over the other?

The Mastering and Inside Out books have a lot of content but are definitely worth it. I have the Mastering book and I always use it as a reference.

You should also get this, it is a must have:

DNS on Windows Server 2003, Third Edition - O'Reilly Media
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What I am worried about is getting hooked and next thing I know I am full on for MCITP:EA. I have looked at the objectives and honestly, they did peak my interest but I know that will eat up a bunch of my time.

Is that really a bad thing? I know this is coming from a biased person, but what is wrong with having some fairly advanced Microsoft stuff? It might push back some of your other goals, but only by about 6 months or so. Plus you will pick up things that will help you in anything you do.

Come to the dark side ;)

I'm thinking about setting my goal for the 23rd. I'm not sure if that is too soon, not to mention I have several distractions coming up (including my bday and a bunch of family coming to visit). But that is almost 2 weeks to finish my book, review some nuggets, lab it up, and do practice questions.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Is that really a bad thing? I know this is coming from a biased person, but what is wrong with having some fairly advanced Microsoft stuff? It might push back some of your other goals, but only by about 6 months or so. Plus you will pick up things that will help you in anything you do.

Do you think that the MCITP:EA obtainable in 5-6 months?
  • Options
    Do you think that the MCITP:EA obtainable in 5-6 months?

I can only speculate, since I haven't taken a single one of the tests.

But I think so. It is 5 tests. Taking a 4-5 week approach (what I've used for most of the tests in the MCSE) would get you it in that 5-6 month range.

EDIT:

And don't forget about the Microsoft deal going on. 5 tests, $500, and second chance on each of them.
  • Options
    I can only speculate, since I haven't taken a single one of the tests.

But I think so. It is 5 tests. Taking a 4-5 week approach (what I've used for most of the tests in the MCSE) would get you it in that 5-6 month range.

EDIT:

And don't forget about the Microsoft deal going on. 5 tests, $500, and second chance on each of them.

Ok ok, you wore me down. I am probably going to start studying for MCTS Win 7 first (since I have to do a gpo refresh within the next two weeks). I guess I am joining the dark side, or we could call it the "black side" lol
  • Options
    Ok ok, you wore me down. I am probably going to start studying for MCTS Win 7 first (since I have to do a gpo refresh within the next two weeks). I guess I am joining the dark side, or we could call it the "black side" lol

LOL icon_lol.gif

So much for the Linux+ trek!icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    LOL icon_lol.gif

So much for the Linux+ trek!icon_cheers.gif

Oh its still happening.....
  • Options
    Oh its still happening.....

Just going to be drawn out over several months.
  • Options
    Just going to be drawn out over several months.

I can't. I have to get it done by the end of the year so icon_study.gificon_study.gificon_study.gif. I might try to MCTS win7 in January.
  • Options
    I'm in that boat too. Next week is all booked up, so I think my test will be taking place on Monday the 25th. An extra couple days, including a weekend should help me polish things up anyway.
  • Options
    I guess I am joining the dark side, or we could call it the "black side" lol

For political reasons, I think that might get vetoed. icon_silent.gif
  • Options
    The morning of the 25th, its official.
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    Black,

I posted quite a few MS security links in the 293/291 forums, you can also do a search on Technet too. They cover all aspects of MS security and here are a few from the general IT security community. Here a just a few that I have used to study the technnology.

Home | GSO - Network Security Resources

Computer Security - Internet Security - Network Security - Internet Security and Information Security Portal - Virus Hacking Alerts Bulletins - InfoSysSec

Network Security and ISO 27001 / 17799 News

SANS: Computer Security Training, Network Security Research, InfoSec Resources

Welcome to CERT

http://www.securityfocus.com/

MS has a Windows Server 2003 security guide, I believe it installs onto the desktop of a fresh 2k3 install. If you can't find it, let me know, I can email it to you.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!
  • Options
    How is everyone doing with this?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    How is everyone doing with this?

You still booked for the 25th?
  • Options
    You still booked for the 25th?

Yes. I still have lots of work to do, and many distractions at home icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Yes. I still have lots of work to do, and many distractions at home icon_sad.gif

Tomorrow has crept up all too soon. I'm doing a lot of reading today, and I'll hit the transcenders tonight. Get a good nights rest and a little bit more study tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Tomorrow has crept up all too soon. I'm doing a lot of reading today, and I'll hit the transcenders tonight. Get a good nights rest and a little bit more study tomorrow morning.

Good luck. If you pass, give me all of your answers. Mmkay thx.
  • Options
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Good luck. If you pass, give me all of your answers. Mmkay thx.

Hey, you can have all of my answers. Then you will at least know which ones not to pick.

I don't know what else I can do for this, I've covered all of the material, and it makes sense as I go over it. But when I take a look at a transcender question none of what I know comes out. At this point its too late to reschedule, so I'll just walk in there tomorrow, do my best, and hope that I at least get a respectable score, passing prefered. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    Hey, you can have all of my answers. Then you will at least know which ones not to pick.

I don't know what else I can do for this, I've covered all of the material, and it makes sense as I go over it. But when I take a look at a transcender question none of what I know comes out. At this point its too late to reschedule, so I'll just walk in there tomorrow, do my best, and hope that I at least get a respectable score, passing prefered. icon_rolleyes.gif

Did you register for second shot?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was about to ask the same question regarding second shot. If that's the case it's a practice test. The best thing to do at this point is, as you said, take it and hope for a pass. I fyou don't pass, then take one week and blitz the material using your score sheet as a guide.

In order for that to work you will need to convince your family to leave you alone for a week during designated study times. In order for that to work you will need to keep to the limits of the time.

Here is my suggested blitz method: Take a test every single day. Do not answer questions you are unsure of. Study the questions you get wrong and create labs based on them. Use VMs and take snapshots so you can roll back easily. If you have to, go to the public library or Star Bucks after work to keep from being interrupted. You should finish each practice test within 20 minutes. Take another hour (at least) to review the questions you got wrong. One week is not too much to ask of the family, I think.