Options

Command line switchs

jaalejaale Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am just wondering how deep Comptia wants me to know the command line switch? for example do I have to know/memorize every switch
like netstat -n, -r, -a and so ? because many of them produce different output then the main command. I hope I put it right. if you don't understand my question. I want to take the Network+ Exam and this is one of the weeknesses that I have. and i would like to work on it if I know how much I need to know.

Comments

• Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    jaale wrote: »
    I am just wondering how deep Comptia wants me to know the command line switch? for example do I have to know/memorize every switch
    like netstat -n, -r, -a and so ? because many of them produce different output then the main command. I hope I put it right. if you don't understand my question. I want to take the Network+ Exam and this is one of the weeknesses that I have. and i would like to work on it if I know how much I need to know.

you might be thinking a little too deep. master the basics first and how in general it can help you troubleshoot the network. also to help you understand it rather than just "memorizing" it, play with those commands and its popular switches yourself.
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can't answer what level of information you will need to memorize for the Network+.

But I would lab out netstat well. Do something like enable RDP, and find it in netstat. Then disable it and see if it is still there.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    jaale wrote: »

While I'm sure the exam has changed a fair bit since I took mine. I would certainly try and get comfortable with network utilities and their switches. I wouldn't just memorize them, but practice them with hands on labs. You're much more likely to remember them that way. I had many questions that required knowing them for several utilities.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would practice with the commands like:

Ipconfig
    Netstat
    Nbtstat
    Ping
    Pathping
    Tracert
    Netsh

I would lab these out, get familiar with their functions and limitations. CompTIA and MS can change exams whenever they want, so it pays to be familiar with more than you think you might need.
  • Options
    badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Psoasman wrote: »
    I would practice with the commands like:

Ipconfig
    Netstat
    Nbtstat
    Ping
    Pathping
    Tracert
    Netsh

I would lab these out, get familiar with their functions and limitations. CompTIA and MS can change exams whenever they want, so it pays to be familiar with more than you think you might need.

arp
    nslookup
    ifconfig

are a few more to study
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • Options
    hunterthuntert Banned Posts: 231
    a website to check is computerhope.com it has alot of stuff about alot of commands and keyboard shortcuts
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From my experience with N+ and CompTia in general, they don't want you to memorize every single command line switch out there. They want you to be able to recognize, given a scenario, why the command would be appropriate to use. Good luck!