Options

$100k+/yr Salary Poll

Comments

• Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I'm the only one who had to Google "DMV area"?
    If I hadn't googled it I would have thought working for the Department of Motor Vehicles was a far more lucrative job than I had expected.
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    We are holding at 16% of respondants earning 100K+
  • Options
    johnnyBoyjohnnyBoy Registered Users Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    2 yrs exp, +60K, +bonuses, +benefits. 26 years old here.
  • Options
    slushislushi Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't make 100k+ in the IT field, but I have a buddy who was former Army Reserve making 180k on a year long contract in Iraq. And he's only 24.
  • Options
    froggy3132000froggy3132000 Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    working in iraq or afghanistan is gonna get 100K+ every time.
  • Options
    ZzBloopzZZzBloopzZ Member Posts: 192
    wagnerism wrote: »
    As others have said, that threshold is relative. I lived in San Diego until 2004 moving to the DMV area (hee - new acronym) - two places with a relatively high cost of living. The move was good. It was like jumping from the fire into the frying pan.

I hit that threshold before I turned 30 in 2001 with my first job after the dotcom bust - just after I got the CCIE certification. I thankfully and completely dodged the dotcom bust by paying my dues with a job that had horrendous travel and required a gov't clearance. The travel had a lot of transit time and downtime where I kept packing on the certifications. Since I was voluntarily lumping the travel, I got thrown at many projects where I had no business working based on experience alone.

My advice to those aspiring for that pay threshold (or any higher pay for that matter) is to never stop learning. Always be improving. Overpay your dues gladly and often - even if you're "making the big bucks". Technology moves fast and people that plateau are eventually marginalized. It helps a lot to be genuinely interested in the technology and eager to expand your scope. Don't study just to get the right multiple-choice answer to the certification question. Get all nerdy and learn to confidently read a packet capture. Learn related fields and be someone whose work never gets shot down by security.

Another change to make that seems to pay better is to move from an operations position to an engineering position. Move from a tier1/tier2 job that only has reactive tasking to a tier3+ proactive job. When you do get the reactive tasking, it will be tier3 problems that are complex and interesting.

I'm pushing 40 and am pursuing an AS in IT degree using community college credits that are older than my classmates. I have achieved much in certifications, gov't clearances, and experience - but have always lacked a degree. I'm going for the JNCIE in a few weeks and am back in classes this fall.

I am a recent college grad and also live in the DC area. I really appreciate your advice. There is a quote by Tony Robbins I live by "Either grow, or die". I am new to certs, just signed up to this forum today and have been reading the random posts for hours on end. Getting great insight and already set a goal to take my Security+ exam in 2.5 weeks. It's time to put full effort to develop my career.

Out of curiosity, why are you going for a degree? Is it because it is essential to move up the chain, or you just want one just to have one? Also, since you are also in the DMV area. I would like to network with other people in IT industry that are on your level. Are there any organizations/meet ups/conventions related to IT in the area that I could join? I want to surround myself and perhaps find a mentor/role model with positive minded, constantly evolving IT folks. This forum is a wonderful start! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    That is a great write up Powerfool. I agree. I noticed many Americans LIVE to WORK. I want to WORK to LIVE!
  • Options
    ZzBloopzZ wrote: »
    I am a recent college grad and also live in the DC area. I really appreciate your advice. There is a quote by Tony Robbins I live by "Either grow, or die". I am new to certs, just signed up to this forum today and have been reading the random posts for hours on end. Getting great insight and already set a goal to take my Security+ exam in 2.5 weeks. It's time to put full effort to develop my career.

Out of curiosity, why are you going for a degree? Is it because it is essential to move up the chain, or you just want one just to have one? Also, since you are also in the DMV area. I would like to network with other people in IT industry that are on your level. Are there any organizations/meet ups/conventions related to IT in the area that I could join? I want to surround myself and perhaps find a mentor/role model with positive minded, constantly evolving IT folks. This forum is a wonderful start! icon_cheers.gif

Welcome. How long have you been preparing for the Security + exam?
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    Welcome. How long have you been preparing for the Security + exam?

Thanks! I actually just ordered the book tonight. Should be here in few days. Plan to study for it day and night for 2 weeks then take the test. Already read the forums, the Gibson book seems to be all I need. Will take some practice exams just in case.

Although I am a recent grad, I've had a IT PC Repair/Networking/Consulting company since early 2007. Have dealt with thousands of computers over the years and all kinds of technology. I am 100% confident I can pass this particular cert in 2 weeks from all the reviews I have read. I may even do it in one week, depending on how it goes. After that I am debating on what to do next. CCNA or MCITP. I studied for CCNA in high school and was ready to take the exams, but me being young and stupid, I never bothered. It's time I start building my toolbox! I love Abe Lincoln's quote “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”

• Options
    Thanks! I actually just ordered the book tonight. Should be here in few days. Plan to study for it day and night for 2 weeks then take the test. Already read the forums, the Gibson book seems to be all I need. Will take some practice exams just in case.

Although I am a recent grad, I've had a IT PC Repair/Networking/Consulting company since early 2007. Have dealt with thousands of computers over the years and all kinds of technology. I am 100% confident I can pass this particular cert in 2 weeks from all the reviews I have read. I may even do it in one week, depending on how it goes. After that I am debating on what to do next. CCNA or MCITP. I studied for CCNA in high school and was ready to take the exams, but me being young and stupid, I never bothered. It's time I start building my toolbox! I love Abe Lincoln's quote “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”

I suppose clattering the security + out in two weeks is very possible, but is it wise if you dont have a security background?
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    Clearing about $110k in the Tampa, FL area.

BS/MS, PMP, CCIP/CCNP, 4 years of experience

Work 40-50 hours a week with rotational on-call as a Network Architect. On call weeks are very rough; off hour remote site installs, large site outages at 3am, etc.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    I suppose clattering the security + out in two weeks is very possible, but is it wise if you dont have a security background?

Well I am starting to notice some jobs around here are starting to require Security+ as the bare minimum. Plus since I don't have any certs, and it seems fairly easy, why not? I don't see how it can hurt me.
  • Options
    cxzar20cxzar20 Member Posts: 168
    Well I am starting to notice some jobs around here are starting to require Security+ as the bare minimum. Plus since I don't have any certs, and it seems fairly easy, why not? I don't see how it can hurt me.

Security+ is probably the worst written test I have ever taken. The questions are written in a very subjective manner which keeps you searching for the CompTIA answer. Would never have taken it if it weren't required for DoD.
  • Options

Well it might be worthwhile putting a post up on the S+ forum to canvass an opinion on it's relative value as a learning experience. I understand in the US it is a mandatory requirement for some jobs.
  • Options
    grauwulfgrauwulf Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    cxzar20 wrote: »
    Security+ is probably the worst written test I have ever taken. The questions are written in a very subjective manner which keeps you searching for the CompTIA answer. Would never have taken it if it weren't required for DoD.

Perhaps it's just a relative comparison but I thought the Sec+ wasn't really that bad. Computer exams are always a pain, especially security and forensics topics, but I think that on the whole CompTIAs exams are actually pretty good.

All of this is to say that once you get use to the question style it gets a lot easier to wade through. If you had to take this for work then odds are that it's only a matter of time before you're back for the next one. If you have the chance, getting a study guide with test bank (I really like the AIO simulators, but to each their own) can really help to increase your comfort with the painfully worded questions.

I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting at an exam and thought to myself "but, but, that's not even a complete sentence?!?!" We all feel your pain cxzar20, welcome to the team icon_biggrin.gif
  • Options
    someuser23someuser23 Member Posts: 103
    Hope to get there one day I'm thinking of quitting my job and just staying with a friend a going back to school. A little over 30 but hey its life.
    Ribs still touching....
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    So thats only like 95k in Canada (sorry, we love to rub it in).
  • Options
    ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • Options
    This year will be my first year to break it (and I plan to take december off unpaid!).

Mo' money mo' problems.

er, mo' money mo' taxes.
  • Options
    Raidersfan81Raidersfan81 Member Posts: 124
    GT-Rob wrote: »
    This year will be my first year to break it (and I plan to take december off unpaid!).

Mo' money mo' problems.

er, mo' money mo' taxes.

Biggie knows whats up
  • Options
    kenookenoo Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    24 years old making 100K base as a systems engineer for a hedgefund in nyc ( financial places are the area to be )
  • Options
    pokerpropokerpro Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kenoo wrote: »
    24 years old making 100K base as a systems engineer for a hedgefund in nyc ( financial places are the area to be )

kenoo, care to talk about your career path a little bit? thats great. I live right outside of nyc.
  • Options
    pokerpro wrote: »
    kenoo, care to talk about your career path a little bit? thats great. I live right outside of nyc.

Definately, I think I can offer some good advice, especially for alot of the younger post-grad crowd on here.

My biggest advice to people is to study hard and learn things on your own while working lower level positions. In my experience and communications with others, there is no set career path anywhere in IT, you have to take what you want. There are people who get stuck in helpdesk or desktop work for life, and its because they get comfy there. I learned a majority of my systems/networking knowledge through my own studying. I simply used these entry level jobs as stepping stones to get where I wanted to be.

Out of college, I got a job as a network technician/desktop kind of role making 45K, got it bumped to low 50's over the next 2 years. During that time I used all my downtime and free time to learn cisco and server technology. An opportunity arose at a hedgefund to bring in a young and motivated systems engineer to the team and I hit the bill, they just about doubled my salary to 100K not to mention the bonuses these places are known for.

All I can say is work hard and keep your eyes open for opportunities and good things will happen, if you need anything else fee free to shoot me a pm!
  • Options
    pokerpropokerpro Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hey kenoo, tried to pm you but you aren't accepting. hit me up.
  • Options
    jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So thats only like 95k in Canada (sorry, we love to rub it in).

But with a lot of taxes, sorry we also love to rob it in.:)
  • Options
    pokerpro wrote: »
    hey kenoo, tried to pm you but you aren't accepting. hit me up.

looks like you may have it disabled as well, I think I enabled mine now
  • Options
    joneno wrote: »
    But with a lot of taxes, sorry we also love to rob it in.:)

haha good point. Add to it that every seems to cost more here, 100k doesn't go very far in Canada.
  • Options
    We are holding at 17% of respondants making 100K +. Interesting.
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    haha good point. Add to it that every seems to cost more here, 100k doesn't go very far in Canada.

You aren't joking there.

I remember when I took a job in Edmonton, I was making 110k, which was much more than the 70k the wife and I were bringing in before that.

All said and down we had much less money left over at the end of the month... It's crazy, but living in Canada just costs more.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    Aldur wrote: »
    You aren't joking there.

I remember when I took a job in Edmonton, I was making 110k, which was much more than the 70k the wife and I were bringing in before that.

All said and down we had much less money left over at the end of the month... It's crazy, but living in Canada just costs more.

are you no longer in Alberta? I guess neither of us could take their winter :P