Unlimited vacation?

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
I've read about some big companies like IBM doing this and being a total success. Does anyone here have this benefit?

Give Your Employees Unlimited Vacation Days | Inc.com

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wow that is amazing and i could not agree more with that article. The one line that hit it home for me was:
    1. It treats employees like the adults they are. If they’re incapable of handling the responsibility that comes along with having unlimited vacation days, they're probably incapable of handling other responsibilities too, so don't hire them.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I can take comp time. Any extra time I do can go toward time off...and any time off I take can be made up. Catch is that it has to be done within that pay period. So there's a maximum of 2 weeks that I would ever have to do that.

Otherwise, vacation builds slow for state government here until you hit your 5yr mark. Yet they give you a ton of sick hours.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    One of my first full time position offered unlimited sick time. I thought that was classy personally, they also gave most employees work from home days, 2 to be exact.

Some of these companies are stuck in the 50's industrial era. Strictly silo'd, no work from home, 0 flexibility with schedule. It's lame to be honest. I usually pass on companies like that.

BTW to the original poster thanks for the article it was interesting.
  • ShanmanShanman Member Posts: 223
    Great article!! Thanks for sharing. Now I have something to work towards :)
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    ...Does anyone here have this benefit?

Yeah, it's called unemployment :)

But seriously, while we don't have this, we do have a flexible working hour policy.
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    I've read about some big companies like IBM doing this and being a total success. Does anyone here have this benefit?

Curious as to where you read about "big companies like IBM" doing this. The article only mentions some company called "Red Frog" which is one I've never heard of before.
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Everyone wrote: »
    Curious as to where you read about "big companies like IBM" doing this. The article only mentions some company called "Red Frog" which is one I've never heard of before.

have a look at this article.
    Is “Unlimited” Vacation Really Unlimited? | Where Great Workplaces Start
    not sure this is the one the OP was referring to though
    God deserves my best
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Everyone wrote: »

This is the one I read almost a year ago: Flexible vacation policies are here to stay - Feb. 1, 2011

It seems the buzz word is "results only work environment."
  • ImTheKingImTheKing Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does anyone here have this benefit?

Nope. 14 days of vacation, 14 days of sick leave. 40 hour weeks are mandated regardless of how many work days there are in the week (1 federal holiday in a week would result in you working 10 hours a day for the rest of the week).

Pretty strict.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    “Doing away with official vacation time can also be a way for employers to escape payouts for unused vacation time when employees leave…”

As I read that Article from my linkedin account (and was considering posting it until I saw that I was beaten to it) I was wondering about vacation days not taken if one were to leave.

Right now, I get 15 days a year, and I can roll that over until the following year once. Then I MUST take it. Comp days I can keep indefinitely (though I had to use nine days because of a medical issue.) I always have days in the hole for two reasons:

1) In the event I must go on emergency leave (like a long-term bereavement).

2) So that I can get cash-mon-ay if I do leave. I'd only get paid for vacation and comp time. Sick time only gets paid to retirees, and even then at at $10k-15k cap. So a bit of math would be involved as to how many days get kept to get the sick time payout.

This unlimited jazz sounds like a way to skirt that payout. Plus too "unlimited" sounds like a joke anyway......I want to see some genius take a whole year's worth of paid vacation under this policy and not get any slack for it. I only take the maximum days I'm required to take, and that's only because it's union-mandated. (My union would freak out if I volunteered to "let days go...")
  • DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I honestly would prefer where I'm at over that. I get 4 weeks, its plenty of times. If I was given unlimited, I'd probably take less. Its nice to be required to take days off, especially when you're coming down to the end of the year. We also have something like 10 paid holidays and taking less than a half day off doesn't count against your vacation numbers unless it becomes excessive. Its a pretty good deal.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    erpadmin wrote: »
    As I read that Article from my linkedin account (and was considering posting it until I saw that I was beaten to it) I was wondering about vacation days not taken if one were to leave.
    Exactly what I was wondering. I doubt you get compensated for an unlimited number of accrued vacation days. icon_wink.gif
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Vacation time I think should have a set limit, but I believe companies should give you more. I get two weeks, three would be great! I like the idea of unlimited sick time though. Sometimes you can't control getting sick (especially when companies really jump on you for using sick time thus sick people come in and get everyone sick) so putting a limit on it kinda blows. At my dad's company they had unlimited sick time and only requirement was if you were out 3 days in row you had to have a doctors note.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Meh, I hardly ever take vacation, so I end up being forced to use them or lose them. I don't know what I'd do if I got more than my current 2 weeks a year.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    Interesting. Having a set amount of vacation time definitely has drawbacks. A lot of companies have "use or lose". I usually have no problem using mine, as I'll often take a day off here and there to take kids to doctor's appointments. I have seen other people run into having maxed out vacation time, and having to use it before a certain date.

Some places have let you sell back vacation days, but you take a big tax hit doing that. At one place I was the only one in the office towards the end of the year because everybody else was taking all there vacation time before they lost it. One place I worked at let you give your vacation time to other people. One of my co-workers did that every year, since he never took a day off, ever, he just donated his vacation time.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Over here in Germany we usually have 25-30 days of paid vacation each year. Sick time is practically unlimited as long as you hand in a doctors note after 3 days.

Unused vacation dates expire on March 31st the following year (e.g unused days from 2011 expire March 31st 2012). Nowadays Management urges you to hand in your vacation plans as it is tied to accounting. If you don't have a plan to use all your vacation the company has to put money aside to pay you instead. However, unused vacation days are taxed just like a normal working day so there is really no point in taking the money unless you are utterly broke.

I for one would love to have unlimited unpaid vacation. It would allow me to spend the winter in some sunny place and really take a time-out when you need it instead of running on empty until your next vacation.
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    pruspeter wrote: »
    wow that is amazing and i could not agree more with that article. The one line that hit it home for me was:
    1. It treats employees like the adults they are. If they’re incapable of handling the responsibility that comes along with having unlimited vacation days, they're probably incapable of handling other responsibilities too, so don't hire them.

Companies should do this anyway. We are adults. Professionals take their work responsibilities very seriously indeed, at the same time they have responsibilities at home. Just have a good HR department and a good work culture and there are no major problems.
    ImTheKing wrote: »
    Nope. 14 days of vacation, 14 days of sick leave. 40 hour weeks are mandated regardless of how many work days there are in the week (1 federal holiday in a week would result in you working 10 hours a day for the rest of the week).

Pretty strict.

Not in the UK. If a day is an official holiday you dont have to make your hours up by working longer in the other 4. Quite right too.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    here in alabama they treat ya like crap on vacation ... last i checked i get 5 days a year and no sick time

gotta love a right to work state
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    here in alabama they treat ya like crap on vacation ... last i checked i get 5 days a year and no sick time

Are you a contractor or permanent? In the UK when contracting I got no sick pay or holiday pay. If you are permanent you get paid national holidays, a holiday quota of 25 days paid plus sick pay. Quite right too.
    permanent
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod

Oh my! I think you got the worst vacation deal here.
    Oh my! I think you got the worst vacation deal here.

sadly i have one of the better deals in the state for none fed gov work
    permanent

Unbelievable. Write to your senator.
    Turgon wrote: »

its a right to work state by state law they do not have to give you any vacation time/sick time/pay increases
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would say something about Alabama but.....Demonfurbie, if you want to move to TN, it's better here. Even when I was doing entry level help desk I always got at least 2 weeks each, plus other holidays.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I would say something about Alabama but.....Demonfurbie, if you want to move to TN, it's better here. Even when I was doing entry level help desk I always got at least 2 weeks each, plus other holidays.

im moving as soon as i finish wgu
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would say something about Alabama but.....

Being from Memphis? C'mon now....(lol....:D )

In all seriousness, TN is also a right to work state. Very similar to Alabama, in fact. Both states have foreign auto companies with plants there...providing Americans with jobs at rates well below Detroit.

If you're gonna leave 'Bama for a right to work state, go Texas!!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »

Wrong country Turgon.
    We have the right to write to our Senators but work rules are setup by each company, not the nation. Sure there are some guidelines in place, but this is the freedom of the market to decide what to do. People can accept it (an many do) or they can reject it. Some will argue they are 'stuck' and cannot move/leave/etc... and that may true in their case. However, companies that treat their employees oorly, amazingly still have employees.

And to 'demonfurbit' being in a 'right to work state' is a GOOD THING. It puts the choice in MY hands of the terms I agree to working and not have to blindly accept a union job because I have no choice if I want a certain job.

Unlike many places in Europe, in the US, the 'benefits' are negotiated by the employer and employee at time of hire. They are not standard and 'plush' as many of my European friend and family have. You want a day off here, depending on the company culture, YOU better take care of everything before and after the day off. At the same time, WE help breed that culture because there are not a lot of folks willing to share knowledge with their co-workers thereby when they need a day off, there is no one available to do the same work as the person wanting the day off. In companies where cross-training is the culture, it is easier to take a day off.

1 week of vacation is all I had at several companies I worked, nothing odd about that, but I didn't typically go anyplace and simply would pick up more hours at my other jobs to fill the void. Two is a little more common now, but generally 1 the first year, 2 the second - 10th year. Maybe 3 after 10 or maybe not. Sick days and vacation days I have seen abused, so while there are many comments for sick and vacation days...I'm split on that one. Generally, most people negotiate for 2 weeks at time of hire by giving up a little pay or making some other deal.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod

We'll he could be from Arkansas :)

Annapolis (2006) - Memorable quotes
    Jake Huard: He's right you know.
    Twins: Can I borrow your starch?
    Jake Huard: Look, I don't get it. Why are you still here?
    Twins: You want to know why I stay in this room?
    Jake Huard: Yeah.
    Twins: Cause Jake, you're my Mississippi.
    Jake Huard: I'm your what?
    Twins: People who live in Arkansas, you know what their favorite state is?
    Jake Huard: No.
    Twins: Mississippi. Cause Mississippi's the only thing that keeps Arkansas from being the worst state in the whole country.
    Jake Huard: I'm Mississippi.
    Twins: Well you sure as hell ain't California. Listen, Cole and Whitaker are so busy tryin' to run you out they forgot about me. As a matter of fact, they've forgotten about every other plebe in this whole company. That's why I stay in this room Jake. Cause if Mississippi quits, then all of a sudden Arkansas is the worst state in the whole country.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?