Options

Config VLAN on 2950

Sa'adSa'ad Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello Friendsssss, I'm back didn't take long for me to comeback.

I'm trying to configure VLAN on a 1912 and 2950 this time following the examples in Sybex 5 and I'm getting errors.

1900#config t
1900(config)#vlan 2 name sales
1900(config)#vlan 3 name marketing
1900(config)#exit
1900#

This config worked fine, but the 2950 gives me errors

2950#config t
2950(config)#vlan 2
% invalid input detected at "^" marker ( this is what I'm getting. I tried the help vlan ? command)
2950(config)#vlan ?
% Unrecognized command ( I can't get the vlan command to work at all, I tried ?)
2950(config)#?
doesn't even list vlan as an available command at all. What am I doing wrong this time? Or is this a Netsim Bug? I have both ccna and ccnp netsime and I'm getting the same error on both. According to Todd he says when configuring the Vlan on 2950 you only need to enter ( Vlan # and enter the name on the next line).

I'm probably asking too many questions by now but Thanks again mates, without the will of God and your assistance ccna is impossible.
INE v4 volume 1

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1900 and 2950 switches have completely different commands. For the 2950, you'll need to go into the vlan database to create the vlans. Then you have to go to the ports and assign them to their appropriate vlan.

I have my own question:
    On a switch, is there only one IP address which is placed on vlan1...or can you assign different addresses to all the vlans?

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    SVSV Member Posts: 166
    KGhaleon wrote:
    I have my own question:
    On a switch, is there only one IP address which is placed on vlan1...or can you assign different addresses to all the vlans?
    KG

1. From the Privileged mode you will have to get into vlan database
    2. Create vlan and assign a name

2900 # vlan database
    2900(vlan)# vlan 2 name sales

If you want to share vlan information between these two switches. VTP is used, where one switch will be working in server mode and the others in client mode.

The main intention of assigning an IP address in a switch is to remotely administer the switch. For this only one is required and it is assigned to VLAN1 along with a the default gateway.
    Life is a journey...