Options

Another Master's program

dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
If you haven't seen it yet, University of Maryland College Park has a Masters of Engineering (M.Eng) in Cybersecurity: PMCY Masters or Graduate Certificate, OAEE, University of Maryland - it's only available in person (no online option... yet, which is ironic, because a M.Eng in Nuclear Engineering is available online...) It looks like a good program. I might add it to my shortlist of Master's programs...
Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If they made it available online, it would compete with the University of Maryland University College Masters of Science in Cybersecurity and Masters of Science in Cybersecurity Policy.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    That's true... to an extent, I suppose. The programs being offered by UMCP and UMUC are pretty different - in my opinion. The UMCP M.ENG program has a focus on engineering while the UMUC MS program has a focus on academic principals. There's also a MPS: Cybersecurity being offered at UMBC - that one offers hybrid courses...
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    HLRSHLRS Banned Posts: 142
    thats cool, CP is more respected than University College
  • Options
    n3tw0rk3rn3tw0rk3r Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm actually applying to this program and the one at UMBC for the coming Fall. I was talking to one of the coordinators/counselors and they said they didn't have any plans to introduce online/hybrid classes into the curriculum anytime in the near future, but that obviously could change as this major is less than a year old I believe. Hopefully I get into this program as it looks like it will definitely give me a strong technical background compared to other cyber programs that are out there. Anyone think this program would be a good foundation off which to base my studies for the CISSP down the road?
  • Options
    @n3tw0rk3r - the UMCP program will probably provide a solid foundation for you, but the CISSP is definitely one of those exams where experience plays a big role. Academics always provide a nice foundation, but experience tends to trump academics.

Anyway, if you get in to the UMCP program, you'll have to let us know - I'm definitely interested in hearing what those enrolled in it think. Personally, I'm thinking I'm going to try and go for the Carnegie Mellon MSIT in Information Security and Assurance. I've got got a lot of respect for Carnegie Mellon and the quality of their school... plus I've got a BS from UMUC and would like to add the Carnegie Mellon name to my resume. Now I just to buckle down and focus on the GRE... or GMAT.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Sorry for resurrecting this old topic, but...What is the difference between Master of Engineering and Master of Science? Iowa State has a similar program and it's also Master of Engineering.
  • Options
    I believe that MS focuses more on theory and MEng focuses more on implementation.

Wikipedia has a pretty decent article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masters_of_Engineering#United_States
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Yeah, I read that article. Do employers look down on MEng degrees? I have no plans for Ph.D, at least now.
  • Options
    sratakhin wrote: »
    Yeah, I read that article. Do employers look down on MEng degrees? I have no plans for Ph.D, at least now.

No - why would they? It's not as though it's an ambiguous degree (i.e. Master of Professional Studies/Master of Continuing Studies) - it has a very defined purpose - to teach engineering (i.e. heavy on the math and practical applications thereof). If anything, that would probably make a person with a MEng more attractive to an employer.