Options

Job paying for certifications

2»

Comments

• Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    I have never gone to training without still getting paid my salary. I couldn't imagine a company sending someone to training but not going to pay them to do so. Having to take time off of work without pay to attend training? Whaat? lol.

I honestly thought companies paying for training + cert reimbursement was pretty much the industry standard. I have never had a problem with this at multiple jobs. Guess I've been pretty naive!
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Depends what is deemed required or beneficial to the employer. Why would they want to pay for you to go learn Y when the company uses Z? Or if there are no plans to ever implement Z?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    drkatdrkat Banned Posts: 703
    Oh I'm gettin paid.. lol I'm just not self studying :) see the way it orignally was is.. work, study, work, study but if they want me to be CCNP Voice well guess what?? I'm not working while training and not putting any of my free time into it.
  • Options
    RouteThisWayRouteThisWay Member Posts: 514
    Steve, I was under the assumption that was pretty much a given. I wouldn't have the nerve to ask my employer to pay for a training class/cert that didn't benefit the company though- so, I guess it works itself out.
    "Vision is not enough; it must be combined with venture." ~ Vaclav Havel
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Then we share the same beliefs and feelings about the industry. :)
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    My company will pay for anything related to your current position, or a reasonably attainable one within the company... since we're a major global company, that's pretty much anything.

If it is required by the company, or the client, then there is no commitment. If it's one that you want to do but isn't required then you owe them time, normally a year. I did that for my CISSP, my current job didn't require it but one I would like to move into when it's open does require it. I got sent overseas (there wasn't a good training place, in English, where I'm at) for 2 weeks of training and the test. They paid everything, including meals/hotel/travel/etc. It was a pretty significant amount of money, my year is almost up but I owe them more time for my Masters :P
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    MS stuff BORES me to tears, but I really like my new job.

It gets tiring. You work hard to get the first round of certs from M$, then they retire stuff like crazy and you have to start over (or nearly so). With the exams and the material getting tougher, it just makes it all seem like a hill you don't want to climb. icon_sad.gif

As far as cert reimbursement in general, the last three gigs have been dodgy about it. There's always been some sort of verbal "yeah, we'll reimburse you", then crickets chirping. My usual stance has had to be you have to do it for yourself anyway (and you can probably take the expenses off your taxes if you keep the paperwork).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers