Options

Is win 8 exam worth it ?

tigermantigerman Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a question hopeful someone can help? With windows 8 releases around the corner, I wondering if take this exam is still going to be worse wild? Any one have any idea what I should do? Stick with this exam or go for the new win 8? Does anyone think win 8 going to take off or floppy like vista?

Comments

• Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I would stick with Windows 7 if I were learning something. That's going to be the OS people move to for now. Windows 8 is unproven and too new in the enterprise.
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    tigerman wrote: »
    I have a question hopeful someone can help? With windows 8 releases around the corner, I wondering if take this exam is still going to be worse wild? Any one have any idea what I should do? Stick with this exam or go for the new win 8? Does anyone think win 8 going to take off or floppy like vista?

Not sure if it'll be another XP/Windows 7 or if it will be another ME/Vista on the desktop. However for tablets, I actually like it.

While I won't be deploying it as a desktop OS in our organisation, I will be deploying it for our tablets that we have. So I will be going for the exam myself at some point, but then again I already have the Win 7 exams already.

Personally speaking, at this moment in time (unless Windows 8 improves it's desktop feel/use) it would be more benefical to go for the Windows 7 exam.
  • Options
    pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    My advice is why bother choosing one just get both :D currently if you book your 70-680 (Win 7) before 30th June you get free voucher for Windows 8 when it launches.
    Check in the forums and you will find details abt the offer
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    crashdumpcrashdump Banned Posts: 134
    tigerman wrote: »
    Does anyone think win 8 going to take off or floppy like vista?

Win8 is a huge failure. Win8 is made for consumers, but not for enterprise it. I wouldn't take this exam about touch screens. There is also no exam about iOS :)
  • Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    "worse it" ?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    I am not so sure guys, MS is posturing really aggressively with this one. If you look at the buzz they seem to think they have a winner on their hands.

I guess time will tell
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JeanM wrote: »
    "worse it" ?

Yeah i was... NotSureIfSerious.png

in any case you dont have an option, everything changes and upgrades happen. Learn it to support it or i guess find something else to be good at?
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Alright, it was bugging me. I used my awesome, mod-like powers to fix the title. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    pumbaa_g wrote: »
    I am not so sure guys, MS is posturing really aggressively with this one. If you look at the buzz they seem to think they have a winner on their hands.

I guess time will tell

MS tried that with Vista too and it blew up in their faces. I really don't see the user interface changes going over well with the consumer or enterprise markets. The missing start button really messes with your workflow and forces you to relearn a decades worth of basic computer tasks. The way metro takes over your entire screen will enrage power users who like to keep multiple windows open at once to monitor things.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Raisin

Excellent point and write up.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    If Microsoft does what they did with XP/VISTA/7 then i'll eventually upgrade my windows 7 certs to windows 8. Basically i got the MCDST on XP then vista came out and there was an upgrade test that gave me the MCITP: Enterprise support technician. 1 upgrade test gave me credit for 2 individual tests. Then they did the same for Windows 7, but upgrading to Windows 8 is not my first priority i want to finish the CCNA and do Server+ and Storage+ first.
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.
  • Options
    DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    I think its a good idea to get Win8 if you already have Win7. If a few years down the road 8 becomes big, you would have had the cert for years already, might look like you knew it longer than the person who just recently took the cert.
  • Options
    ITSupermanITSuperman Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with Delivry. If you already have Win 7, grab Windows 8 via the upgrade paths they have to MCSA. If you don't have anything though, Windows 7 certs are your best bet.
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    For some, I can see it being beneficial. For myself though, I wouldn't bother with it. This is one OS that our company will be avoiding for the long term and stick with Windows 7. We were caught with our pants down by using Vista, and 7 has been rock solid for us and we see no reason to change. The learning curve for our users would be too great and some would have a difficult time adjusting away from 7.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    I'm not quite sure why MS is releasing this so soon. A lot of companies are still on Windows XP and trying to go to Windows 7. I would recommend you go with Windows 7 and like others have said do the upgrade at some point
  • Options
    excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I did the 5 Vista exams and we all know how long Vista lasted. As I see it I'm going to go a different route... I skipped the Windows 7 exams and as the future is 'here' in a few weeks I'm heading straight for the Windows 8 exams. Why? Although I've only just finished installing Windows 7 company wide we, like a lot of companies, have a site licence and so we can install Windows 8 the moment it hits.

The future is Windows 8 so maybe consider it as a VERY valid options. If Windows RT takes off the 'sales' people will want the thing and interest will clilmb. Win 8 will probably offer a few nice features so it might be an idea to study up on everything Windows has to offer. Come at this from ALL angles to cover yourself. Take the WIndows 7 exams, sure, but also take the Windows 8 exams.

@crashdump: "Win8 is a huge failure": So.. how is your crystal ball these days?
    Mooooo
  • Options
    excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The learning curve for our users would be too great and some would have a difficult time adjusting away from 7.

Although there are individuals are hesitant to change it does often amaze me how quickly people want something when someone else has it! If you select the correct individuals the other staff members will be frothing at the mouth to get Win 8 :)
    Mooooo
  • Options
    MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Although there are individuals are hesitant to change it does often amaze me how quickly people want something when someone else has it! If you select the correct individuals the other staff members will be frothing at the mouth to get Win 8 :)

Sadly, that didn't happen with Vista, but that was mostly because it was a pile of junk.
  • Options
    nics11cnics11c Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Win 8 exam is worth going for as it is latest version for windows and it helps when someone pass the exam
    Greater benefits and more salary awaits you after passing the win 8 exam
  • Options
    spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The question is does it have value for you? It's always going to be advantageous to be certified on the latest Microsoft OS, as it puts you ahead of the curve.

However, most major businesses are slow to adopt new OS. They're most likely just getting around to deploying Windows 7.

From the feedback I've seen, it appears that the OS isn't going to be a popular one or favorite; however, it's going to probably have massive penetration due to it being on tablets, desktops and laptops. Though I'm an ipad man myself, it'll probably be less of a headache incorporating something like Surface in an Active Directory environment.

And with the "radical" interface and other new features, it's probably a good idea to learn Win 8 from an administrator point of view.
  • Options
    glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Windows 8 icon_rolleyes.gif
    I hated the consumer preview...
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The question is does it have value for you?

I'm just going to say this very plainly...no it will/does not.
    However, most major businesses are slow to adopt new OS.

I can assure you that Windows 7 was played with by my organization when it first came out. A couple of my coworkers were early adopters of 7 (and for that matter, Vista) and played around with it. Thankfully, these guys were not users of applications I have to support (client tools for the ERP...) Oracle certifying anything like an O/S not made by them is slower than molasses. That's not to say that it won't work...BUT if something fails to work later, and they find out that we're on an uncertified O/S, than they will just hang up the support call abruptly.

In short, it isn't that we don't want the latest and greatest...we want to make sure that latest and greatest doesn't break applications/code we already support on the enterprise. We are (as you said) just now getting to deploying Windows 7 (in fact, I still have to upgrade MY box...lmao....) but it tooks a good couple of years to see that Windows 7 can work in our enterprise. In the end, that's the only thing that matters when it comes to supporting an enterprise..not upgrading to the latest O/S immediately...
  • Options
    thronetmthronetm Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    glenn_33 wrote: »
    Windows 8 icon_rolleyes.gif
    I hated the consumer preview...

I agree, I wouldn't use hate as it is a strong word but I didn't find anything exciting about it..

I had it installed and uninstalled through VMware within an hour or two.
  • Options
    KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, I wouldn't rush out to Windows 8. As others have mentioned, business are slow to change/adopt new OS versions. Overall, you want stability on an OS before the switch, and often times there are issues when MS throws out a new OS. I even worked for one guy who wouldn't move to any OS until at least one service pack had been released.

Also, with OS changes not applications will be supported right away. I am still removing and blocking IE9 on Windows 7 as quite a few websites (Schwab is one) our advisers use are not compatible with IE9.

I am not saying to avoid it, but I would get Windows 7 first. When it comes time, you can probably even get your company to pay for Windows 8 as it may be something they consider moving to.
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • Options
    My gut feeling is that the cycle period for the OS has just been compressed. On one side Win 8 will come armed to the teeth with features like MED V, APP V and MS Desktop Optimization for compatibility. The other end they are looking at Hyper V 3.0 Powershell 3.0 and RD Services in the Virtualization segment (not to speak about SCCM2012)
    This is an obvious move to hit back at the competitors and I dont think enterprises will be able to hold out too long. I give it a maximum 3-4 years compared to the last few iterations of MS Technologies this time the turnaround will be faster.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In the short term, I don't think you'll see much action with regards to Windows 8 in the Enterprise. I would say that at least 50% of the enterprise clients I work with use Windows XP. In all cases they are intending to upgrade to Windows 7 (within a year).

Where I see Windows 8 being strong is in the MS Tablet market. I believe that the MS Tablet will do quite well. My reasoning is that you can attach this thing do your domain so remote access, software management, etc are all quite easy. WAY easier than iPad. In the future using DirectAccess, I can see the tablet really having an impact in business.

For the time being it'll be a consumer thing. I've used Win 8, and I seriously have to wonder what MS is thinking. Consumers aren't fans of interface changes. They like stuff to stay the same & that's just good business. Why oh why MS made changes like they did, I have no idea.

That said, I like the Metro interface in the world of touch screens. I'd even consider buying a tablet just to see what it could do. I think it'll take a while to get some traction.
  • Options
    rejazrejaz Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To be fairly honest, I think having the Windows 7 certifications would be more beneficial because it is being widely implemented by companies around the world and my opinion on Windows 8, is that it is too fairy for the business world.

Overall I would go for the Windows 7 certs :)
  • Options
    tigermantigerman Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    [FONT=&quot]I agree with antielvis about win 8 and the tablet market, In fact in some way I believe the whole reason windows launched win 8 this soon was because of the effect it would have in the tablet market. In my opinion that really where win 8 line in the sand, ends. Form all other point of view I seeing more of a disadvantage than anything else when it comes to win 8. I plan on still learning it, but simple form an administrative point of view. I think I will focus most on completing my win 7 70-680 exams. I personal don’t like win 8 and will not be using it. [/FONT]:D
  • Options
    slimbumzieslimbumzie Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow...really lovely thread and responses. i've been pondering on same for weeks now but this has made things clearer. I'll be going for win 7 examicon_wink.gif

U guys are right by the way....the enterprise environment will prolly take a while before upgrading to this OS. Mine just migrated to Win 7 less than a year ago. Some XP/Vista still around too

i dont know if it also friendly enough for the layman user that's all about icons and start button. lotta brain cracking needed
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I tend to avoid the "even" releases of MS after 2k.

2k, XP, Windows 7 = Great.
    ME, Vista, Windows 8 = Not so much.

That said, if you go for Windows 7, why not take the 1 exam upgrade to cover your bases? I agree with both antielvis and rejaz, Windows 8 will not be mainstream for businesses unless the tablets take off. Starting with the Windows 7 exams and moving up to the Windows 8 upgrade can't hurt. That is my plan, anyway.