Options

taking the test in a few days....

djlombadjlomba Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
"The Book" has basically been my only source. The problem I come across is that I am very confident with Darril's practice questions but I am not with any other practice questions. They seem totally different.

Should I worry about this?

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    If you take a look at the reviews on Amazon, the answer is No from many different people.

When creating practice test questions, an author looks at the objectives and attempts to write questions based on how they think CompTIA will test the knowledge in the objectives. I've been lucky enough to have taught hundreds (perhaps thousands) of students these Security+ topics and have written literally thousands of practice test questions designed specifically to help people pass CompTIA exams. I've learned how CompTIA formulates the questions. I write the questions, answers, and explanations with a primary goal of helping people learn the underlying material so that they can pass the exam but also so that the material remains meaningful and can stick with them. I also seek feedback from other A+ trainers while I write the questions.

Sometimes a company will hire people to write practice test questions and the authors do their best but they don't necessarily have the same level of experience with writing questions or with CompTIA exams. They might hit the mark for many topics but miss the mark for others. This is one of the reasons that it's normally recommended to use multiple sources when studying for any certification exam. You get the benefit of multiple author perspectives and what one author misses, another author might hit. I'm grateful that the CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead:SY0-301 Study Guide is one of the rare exceptions that hits all of the topics sufficiently that so many people have been able to use it alone to take and pass the exam the first time they take it.

That said, there's no reason why you shouldn't look at other material and broaden your knowledge. However, I wouldn't let it shake your confidence if you understand the material in the primary source you're using. Just like so many people before you, you can take and pass the exam the first time you take it.

Good luck.