Options

SCCM OSD package Qu

mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've had a 2x week reprieve for my SOE ptoject so I now have until the middle of February to have a Win7x64 SOE ready. So, another qu about OS deployment: the former sysadmin was creating a task sequence for OSD that referenced a collection variable list for package installation. I think this was because SCCM 2007 had an issue with .MSI files executing from within TS (correct me if I'm wrong).

We're now using SCCM 2012. Is there any benefit to using collection variables? Seems that I'll just have to add 900+ computers to a collection for it to deploy apps. Is the usual way to just have a group of "Install Packages" in the task sequence?

Comments

• Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hmm, I have been tasked with Deploying Win7 through SCCM too! I was given two weeks to get it done and it's due next friday. In SCCM2012 though, I've NEVER used variables to deploy packages that are apart of the task sequence used for imaging the workstation. What I have done is add a group in the TS and added individual entries for the various packages I am installing. I'll see about getting you some screenshots when I get to work.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    Hmm, I have been tasked with Deploying Win7 through SCCM too! I was given two weeks to get it done and it's due next friday. In SCCM2012 though, I've NEVER used variables to deploy packages that are apart of the task sequence used for imaging the workstation. What I have done is add a group in the TS and added individual entries for the various packages I am installing. I'll see about getting you some screenshots when I get to work.

Cool thanks, would appreciate seeing how others do this. Also glad to know I'm not the only one assigned with insane deadlines. icon_razz.gif
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    PM me an email address to send the screenshots to. Lol im paranoid - even though I scrubbed my screenshots - I don't want them floating around the internet.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens