Options

Helpdesk job making me miserable

tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm kind of at a loss what to do.

I started a helpdesk job with a major web hosting company almost 2 months ago. It's pretty much a tier 1 position offering front of the line tech support to customers under our hosting. It's an extremely fast paced call center environment.

The training was not so bad and pretty relaxed, but since being released from training I find myself dreading going to work each day and look forward to days off more so than any time I can remember.

I think part of this is due to the nature of the job and lacking a lot of the technical knowledge which I'm still trying to learn, making my job really difficult when customers expect me to be an expert at something that I'm not.

The work environment is extremely stressful, the company cares much more about how many customer contacts we have per shift than actually fixing the customer's problem at hand. There is virtually no downtime whatsoever, the phones constantly ring and we're expected to be doing chats/tickets while doing a phone call, my head begins to pound within the first 10 minutes of my shift. We also can't leave our desks without permission, meaning I need permission to go to the bathroom, drives me crazy.

I wouldn't even consider staying at this job if it wasn't for the advancement opportunities. There are other positions like system administration, tier 2, development, etc. that I would be interested in and don't deal with so many customers. It's just positions like this would require me to be there for at least a year and the way it's going now I'm just not sure I can cut it.

Another worry of mine is this is a very linux/webhosting based job. It's a branch of IT that I've never been interested in and don't really plan on making a career out of. I only took this job to get helpdesk experience while going to school for IT but feel like I'm only get experience in the realm of websites and web hosting.

Just really at a loss of what to do and looking to see if anyone has a similar experience. I'd love a helpdesk job that is more laid back and in the realm of what I want to do, which is either networking or just general desktop support, not web hosting. My last job was in retail and I never thought I'd miss it, but I am right now as I never remember stressing or dreading the work this much.

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    It sounds like you're still in HD shock...we all go through it but it's just something you should power through. It sounds like you are getting some valuable skills that are great for system administration....linux, apache (nginx?), virtual hosts, multihoming, proxies, etc. Give yourself to 6 months and I bet all of your calls will be run-of-the-mill and you can ask to start getting involved in Tier II stuff.

At busy call centers there needs to be accountability and hands on deck so I could see why you need approval to leave your desk...the manager is probably monitoring the call and ticket queue and other high level things you might not be aware of which may affect the core goals of your group, even though it seems like a freedom oppression thing...
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Believe it or not, help desk jobs can be kinda hectic like that. You probably feel like your department is a little oversubscribed at the moment.

The best thing you can do right now to make this job easier is to learn as much as you can about how the technologies work. Your trouble tickets will be a lot easier to solve when you get to the point where you know how things work, independently, and when connected to other things.

As far as the multi-tasking thing, I can't say that I'm an expert at rubbing my belly while patting my head at the same time, so not too sure on how to tell you to do that one. :D

The best tip I can give right now is to learn more of how the technology works, so this job will be a bit more bearable, and also so that if you do have to move on, you will have built up your skills, so you're better off for the next gig.

Just so you know, any new job will be a little tougher in the early going. What I tend to do is focus really hard on trying to learn as much as I can about the technology/policy/procedure/etc. in whatever area I'm working in. Then, I find that I can easily handle whatever comes. It'll get to the point where I'll be writing procedure scripts for others.

That's how I typically handle any new gigs. Just use your ability adjust to something different.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds very familar. Pretty soon you'll get very good and fast at fixing most problems and the job will be less stressful.
    When I did helpdesk I found it satisfying how easily and quickly I could help someone. And when problems come up that are difficult just think how after you figure it out that problem will never be hard again and you can add it to you list of skills
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    It sounds like you're still in HD shock...we all go through it but it's just something you should power through.

Seconding. The high of a call volume is not the norm but not outside the expected function of help desk. Your job is to take calls and you have enough work to keep you on it. I feel fortunate that i don't have that environment but i have much more chaos from the system end that causes me headaches. I had a user tell me she didnt understand me for 2 minutes despite my trying to explain in as simple terms as i could manage. I empathize and understand where you are coming from but you just gotta keep at it because your going to learn so much more now that anything after you get this down is going to seem like a joy ride.
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Helpdesk is a necessary evil for many in this industry and if you're looking to get into the systems / administration side of things your time there is well spent, but certainly you should be looking to expand your skillset and get out when the time is right.

My advice is to grind through it, expand your skillset, and if your current organization does not recognize your potential do not think twice about leaving for more responsibility in a more technical position.

Good luck!
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Lol... I remember you posting about possibly working on the NMCI contract as a helpdesk tech but were advised not to. I worked there for about a year and was really glad when I left. I have a feeling that I know which web hosting company you are working for out here in Va. I always saw the postings on CraigsList and after hearing your plea, I'm really glad I never went there. If I had known things were that bad for you I'd have invited you to apply for a position that is now filled on our helpdesk which I really enjoyed working on but moved up to Systems Admin within the company. I really enjoy where I work currently. Best of luck!
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Seriously hang in there you'll make it, it's just hard right now. Give yourself another month and you should see some progress. Within 6 months you'll be doing the job in your sleep and in 1 year, well you get the point.

Don't quit if you can help especially your first IT job. It will look TERRIBLE on your resume and you'll have some serious explaining to do. Once you get a few 2 - 4 year stints under your belt you have more freedom to quit early because you have built up some history.

Again don't quit unless you get another job, but sometimes the evil you know is better than the evil you don't know.
  • Options
    newffnewff Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    How much computer experience do you have? Just curious. Have you studied and done any certs that would have taught you a lot of the basics? Is the problem that you really are missing some of ther basics and find it difficult?
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    I start my helpdesk journey in 2 weeks. It will be four guys doing all the work for the company and its overseas posts. It will be all day none stop with 30min break. I think of it as a stepping stone to get to net admin. Don't give up were will be in thick of it together
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    Frankly, help desk was one of the hardest jobs I ever had. It's basically, non-stop, all day everyday with the exception of maybe Friday afternoons and holidays.

From a comany's perspective, providing help desk support is usually the most costly business function they have. What this typically means is that a company will try to do as much as they can with what little resources as they can get by with. For this reason, you'll likely be overworked and underpaid with little chance of advancement. In addition, because they put so much time and cost into training, they won't usually promote you from within. Your best bet is to look at this as a stepping stone, and gain some experience and then move on to another company.

Good luck.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I feel your pain! My first full time tech job (was still in school) was with Comcast, front line internet support. The training for six weeks was a breeze and honestly a joke. Four weeks on the floor and I was having panic attacks. I was very overwhelmed and I ended up quiting (bad move). Fast forward, I graduated and was close to a year at my next job when I was offered a position doing phone support. I was scared to say the least. I got there and it seemed like everyone knew more then I did. If I was lucky most of my calls would wrap up in 30 minutes. Two months in I thought uh-oh I made another mistake. By then I had real bills so leaving really wasn't an option, thus I stuck it out. Three months in things got better, but I was still iffy. By six months, I was a pro. I had the highest daily ticket completion rate. After a year, I was the go to guy for the hardest issues. So hang in there and don't worry you will be fine! Helpdesk is suppose to suck :)
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    pobo90pobo90 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey i just started this NMCI position today! Any advice regarding this position? (how to get out quickly and easily? lol)
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    Been there, done that. Most if not all IT professionals go through helpdesk to kick start their career. Just stick it through and if its that bad, look for another gig. You shouldn't tolerate stress at work, I wish someone told me this a long time ago. I use to work non stop taking calls, going on-site, weekends with no pay, etc thinking I owe it to my company. You'll do just fine, grind it out.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    glenn_33glenn_33 Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I remember my first help desk job, they're not fun but it gets you experience. Stick with it!
    A+/N+/S+/CCNA:RS/CCNA:Sec
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pobo90 wrote: »
    Hey i just started this NMCI position today! Any advice regarding this position? (how to get out quickly and easily? lol)
    Yup - Don't believe what they tell you about advancement... Trust me, I my phone stats were amazing and I kept it that way. After 11 months I was totally burned out and started looking for a job elsewhere. With the experience I got at NMCI, I was able to find another helpdesk job in the private sector which led to me finally getting a SysAdmin gig. Tough it out, learn the job, work on a few certs once you're really good, then start looking elsewhere for a job (Especially if you're whats considered a Sub-K). Sure the drive is a little further to Va beach instead of Norfolk but I really enjoy coming to work now.

Take my word for it, hundreds of calls in the queue non stop for an 8 - 10 hour shift is not fun! I used to do about 35 - 40 calls a day myself.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bryguy wrote: »
    Frankly, help desk was one of the hardest jobs I ever had. It's basically, non-stop, all day everyday with the exception of maybe Friday afternoons and holidays.

From a comany's perspective, providing help desk support is usually the most costly business function they have. What this typically means is that a company will try to do as much as they can with what little resources as they can get by with. For this reason, you'll likely be overworked and underpaid with little chance of advancement. In addition, because they put so much time and cost into training, they won't usually promote you from within. Your best bet is to look at this as a stepping stone, and gain some experience and then move on to another company.

Good luck.

Very interesting perspective. I had no idea helpdesk was so costly. I guess that's why most companies try to outsource it. I'm working as a Jr Admin now and the load is so light I almost feel guilty because I'm used to being overworked. I try to make up for it by studying for school and jumping on every ticket that I can but it does give me a some peace of mind as far as job stability goes.
  • Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked at a call-center called Stream here in the Memphis area to start my IT career in the late 90's. Wasn't the greatest of times but it was fun learning everything. I had no idea what I was doing then but they basically have how-to documents that even a monkey could guide a confused customer through. I worked on the Dell team / Gateway team / Disney Interactive team / and even Prodigy Internet team (remember that dial-up service?) Man, good times...

My advice would be just to absorb anything of value and move on when you are ready and/or get a better offer. Probably want to stay there at least a year and then re-evaluate the opportunities availabe. Get connections on linkedin with all the recruiters that you can!

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    MendMend Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been through this Hell before, and know it ALL too well.

I came out of college as a Business Major only because at the time they didnt offer anything other than programming for Comp Sci. I got my first "break" into IT through a private software company HD position.

I could write a novel of the injustices that happened there and only there in the HD. It was the closest thing to Shawshank Redemption I'll ever experience. We had a Band of Brothers things going, hardened group of decent guys that ate s*^t and dealt with it. I made a lot of great (intelligent) friends who all expected to learn and grow but that company was oppressive and if you were good, they didn't promote you because your call volume ability was more important than your skills and advancement.

Forget T2-T3 "advancement", I had those opportunities but refused them as it was obviously those guys are glorified nobodies that get even more heat from management/team leaders.

That being said, HD experience is valued in the industry. After a few months I knew the job was nothing but trouble and I suffered through it. My goal was to get 1yr of XP and get the hell out of there, strictly for resume purposes. I was extremely fortunate to find a job right at the one year mark and leave to my current job, which I really enjoy.

My advice: Get the 1 year of HD XP so you can write it on the resume and get the hell out by any means necessary.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Copy / Paste for the win. When I worked for a helpdesk I created a LOT of templates for issues. Let's face it - a lot of them will come back to you all the time (How do I password protect a website again?). I was so quick in multitasking that I was asked to slow down so the team doesn't look too bad. That was not because I was so great - it was just because I was organized.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    "Misery-inducing work environment" should be part of help desk job descriptions.

Some are better, some are worse. I actually enjoyed mine for the first year, give or take a few months.

Advancement opportunities are part of the career. Whether the company you happen to work for has them is only a matter of convenience. If you are qualified to advance, you can find a job elsewhere.

My advice is if it's truly that horrible, see if you can find a different one. Be prepared to explain why you're living after a few months. Otherwise, try to tough it out for at least a year and advance your skills as much as you can in that time, then try to move to a higher-level position.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm on my fifth month in this CSR position at an ISP and it can be tough. The customers are a pain but dealing with the different types of people will help you later on because you'll be able to explain things better and gather important information faster.

I understand were you're coming from and try not let it get to you. It's great that you get to deal with the technologies with web hosting. Learn what you can and don't give up. Try to make things easier on yourself.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I worked at a call-center called Stream here in the Memphis area to start my IT career in the late 90's. Wasn't the greatest of times but it was fun learning everything. I had no idea what I was doing then but they basically have how-to documents that even a monkey could guide a confused customer through. I worked on the Dell team / Gateway team / Disney Interactive team / and even Prodigy Internet team (remember that dial-up service?) Man, good times...

My advice would be just to absorb anything of value and move on when you are ready and/or get a better offer. Probably want to stay there at least a year and then re-evaluate the opportunities availabe. Get connections on linkedin with all the recruiters that you can!

Good luck to you!

stream global? They've got a call center down here in Tampa too. I worked there for 6 months doing tech support for Dell. In fact, just about everywhere I go IT wise, there's at least one other person who's worked there at some point. I even recommended a friend to work their who moved down here from GA. I'm also recommending that he get out as soon as he can but he just needed a job at the time.
  • Options
    MiikeBMiikeB Member Posts: 301
    pobo90 wrote: »

In my experience if you are VERY technically knowledgeable making Tech Lead or Tier 2 is possible. I made Tech Lead after 4 months. It requires being very good at your job, helping others and being the go to guy, and the hardest part - not getting burnt out from all of the calls. The problem is things don't get much better. Its a 10% raise or so and you are still on the phones any time calls are waiting, which is often from what I hear. Moving out of the Service Desk though is another story, and much much harder. You basically have to get to know someone in another department and have them request you for a job, and its hard to get to know anyone since it is all so compartmentalized. I was there 11 months. The day my TS got adjudicated I was on monster and clearancejobs.com and gone within 2 weeks. The place is a great steppping stone and resume builder but a horrible career. I have friends on facebook who are still in the Service Desk 4 years later.

To the OP, I am also 99% sure I know where you work. I actually almost took a job with them before NMCI, however their eagerness to hire me despite my perceived underqualification because I did not know anything about webhosting or linux at the time put up red flags and I declined.

Helpdesks suck the life out of many people. I don't know why I am more able to tolerate it than most, but I thrived in the environment. I believe part of the trick is to not let yourself get wound up. If a customer is yelling at you, understand they are yelling at the company. If you have no idea how to fix something, just ask for help or poke around. If your manager is yelling about your stats just shrug it off. Think of it as a job, not a career, and tough it out until you find something better.
    Graduated - WGU BS IT December 2011
    Currently Enrolled - WGU MBA IT Start: Nov 1 2012, On term break, restarting July 1.
    QRT2, MGT2, JDT2, SAT2, JET2, JJT2, JFT2, JGT2, JHT2, MMT2, HNT2
    Future Plans - Davenport MS IA, CISSP, VCP5, CCNA, ITIL
    Currently Studying - VCP5, CCNA
  • Options
    sammysamesammysame Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
    if its your first job, put in your 1-2 years in the grind and move on to greener pastures. I just turned down a project for NOc but the mainly wanted someone to pour over cisco router/WAN logs to find netw. hiccups. NO THANK YOU!
  • Options
    holysheetmanholysheetman Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think their name was actually "Stream International" and they moved operations back to MA. Seems like I run into someone around Memphis that worked at Stream like I did back in 1999 - lol good times
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds a bit like my first IT job in telecom. Phones ringing all day, having to ask questions on procedures, etc. I made it 4 months, then jumped ship to my current position.
  • Options
    YesOffenseYesOffense Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah help desk has a time limit unless you enjoy that sort of work. Know what though, even the ones that do enjoy it break at some point. It's easier to take if the pay is great, but if it's low pay, high volume, micro managing and stat driven, it'll drive you nuts. Great starting point though as far as experience, customer service, stress management, and what you will and won't deal with in your career. It's like your first heartbreak, painful, but it made you better.
  • Options
    tom_dubtom_dub Member Posts: 59 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Strong thread resurrection

I got out of that gig about a month ago and am in a MUCH better position now, which that job from hell definitely helped me obtain, so it wasn't for nothing.

It sucks but for jobs like IT, 90% of people are going to have to start on the front lines like that, stick with it long enough to build experience and it will really help you out in the end.