ccna voice equipment requirements ?

2»

Comments

• MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Quick question for the Voice guru's here. Do you need a PVDM for the 2801's?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • aaron0011aaron0011 Member Posts: 330
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    Quick question for the Voice guru's here. Do you need a PVDM for the 2801's?

If you want the 2801 to provide DSP resources, then yes, you will need a PVDM2 module.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I appreciate the quick response. Do you recommend me getting a PVDM for my 2801 for lab purposes?
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • DiggsDiggs Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Pretty sure if you want the router to process calls it will need a PVDM
  • skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to follow the CCNA Voice lab manual, this will get you by:

For routers, each line is a complete solution:
    2 2811 routers (network module of AIM card for voice mail)
    1 2811 router and one 2801 fouter (network or AIM for one, AIM only for the other)
    2 2801 routers (you must use an AIM card for Unity Express)

There are multiple options for switches. Each line is a complete solution:
    2 c3560 switches
    2 c3550 switches (make sure they say inline power on the upper right on the front!!!!!)
    2 2960 switches
    Or get any combination of these equaling 2 switches.

Get at least one AIM or one network module with Unity Express on it. The network module getting at least 1 of those 2811's is the easiest installation. I don't believe you'll need 2 unity express cards.

You'll need 1 FXO cards with at least 2 ports. You'll also need 1 FXS card with at least 2 ports. One of these cards will go in one of your 2801 or 2811 router, and the other one will go in the other 2801 or 2811 router.

I also recommend 2 PRI interface cards that has 2 ports on each card. One will go into one router and the other will go in the other router. You'll need to make a cable specially made to connect the 2 PRI cards. Do a google search on how to make the cables.

Also make sure the routers have the voice image installed. One of the routers needs to have a PVDM chip installed inside for PSTN phones to work.

There are cheaper ways to do this. You'll still need the same PRI, FXO, FXS, and network module, but you can get cheaper routers. 2 2620xm has the network module slot for unity express. However, the 2620xm does not have the VWIC slots, so you'll need 2 1760 routers to put your PRI, FXS, and FXO into. However, the 1760's as your only routers because they can't be used because it can't support voice mail.

Anyway, the way I showed you will allow you to complete every lab in the CCNA Voice manual for CUCME and Unity Express. Now for CUCM, you'll just need to get VM-Ware like VM-Ware workstation. Figure that Windows 7 takes about 2 GB of RAM. You'll need 8-10 GB of RAM dedicated to CUCM, Precense, and Unity. You can split up the 3 products (CUCM Presence, and Unity) on different computers or have them all on one computer. If they are all on one computer you probably need a machine running 16 GB of RAM. 16 GB of RAM plus a processor that is triple core or better should handle all this just fine. I should also say there is a big difference in resource requirements from version 7 to version 8. If you go with version 7, you probably only need 8 GB of RAM on one PC. Version 7 takes up 2 GB per for all 3 (CUCM, Presence, and Unity) while version 8 takes up 3 GB per each one.
  • TehToGTehToG Member Posts: 194
    I currently have a 2621XM and 2651XM running 12.4T (as well as other switches and routers). They've got a VWIC-1MFT-E1, WIC1B-S/T and a BRI4B-S/T. I've also got a few PCs running ESXi for virtual machines which I plan to cluster. Am I right in thinking that I can get:
    • 1 x NM-2V
    • 1 x VIC-2FXS
    • 1 x VIC-2FXO
    • 2 X 7940G + PoE bricks
    And have enough for CCNA: Voice?

Also is an AIM-CUE definitely needed? It easily costs more than all the above combined in the UK. I'm planning early with the view to study in around 6 months time so i can snap them up for a reasonable amount on eBay.
  • azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hi TehTog,

You will need AIM-VOICE-30's (US$125 when I bought mine) for DSP support on the 2600XM's for the VWIC-E1's, otherwise they will be data only. The rest of the kit should be fine.

As for the AIM-CUE, don't forget looking at the US eBay market, even with shipping they could be cheaper than local. Last time I looked they could be had for ~US$150 + $35 shipping world-wide. But on a cost v benefit v amount of use you'll put it to (unless you plan on going past the CCNA:V level), I'd probably say no. Either study any screen shots you can find, or invest in some rack-hire time. Same goes for the AIM-VOICE-30's, you'd be better spending the $ on a 2800 series and PVDM2's.
    The AIM-CUE cards from the US cost $230 when shipped. I have a saved search incase one comes up local. The VWIC-E1 was something I got with one of my 2600s but I don't really need it for the cert, Do i? The AIM-VOICE-30 is about $100 usd here. I haven't really looked at the certification until a few hours ago so please excuse my ignorance. I've set up voip phones before but it wasn't using a cisco call manage, Thats about as far as my knowledge goes.

I don't really intend to go on past the CCNA:Voice level unless a job requires it. The CCNA level is just perfect for me at the moment as something to give me a competitive edge when job hunting.
    Yeah, the AIM-CUE and VWIC-E1's I'd categorise as nice to have, but not essential. As you don't plan to go past the CCNA:V, I'd save the $ to spend elsewhere.
    Thats perfect thank you for the quick replies. hopefully in a few months time i'll be able to contribute to this subforum.
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    Can 3725 be utilized as CME router?

So, the AIM-CUE-1GB is not required, but under what condition is it a "must have", voice mail and what else?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
    Long answer: Although CUCME v8.x is recommended, I'd say you could easily get by with v4.x, so any of the older routers can fit the bill (1700, 2600xm, 3700 series). That said I'd still look at getting a 2800 series router (avoid the 2801's due to fan noise) if you can afford it, their prices should be low enough now, and you'll get a bit more life out of them down the track.
    Short answer: 3725's work great for CME, got me through the original CCNA-V exam.

As for the AIM-CUE (or any CUE really), it comes down to a cost/benefit/return trade off. They don't usually come cheap, they can only get to CUE v7.0 before running into licensing issues, and you don't get as much use out of them as a router, especially at the CCNA-Voice level (or even CCNP-Voice level). Best to spend your funds elsewhere.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is what I currently have:

QTY
    Model
    DRAM
    Flash
    IOS

12.4(7) Enteprise Services

15.1(3)T2 Advanced IP Services

15.1(3)T2 Advanced IP Services

12.4(15)T13b IP Base

12.2(2)XB5 (What??? Not on CFN!)

12.4(15)T14 Advanced IP Services

12.2(15)T5 IP

4*
    12.2(11)T IP/VOX Plus

2*
    12.1(3)T IP/Voice Plus

1*
    3560-48PS-S

12.2(55)SE8 IP Base
    15.0(2)SE4 IP Base

3550-24PWR

12.2(44)SE6 IP Services

3550-48-SMI

12.2(44)SE6 IP Services

2960-24TT-L

15.0(2)SE1 LAN Base

2950-24

12.1(22)EA14

7960G IP Phones

Analog Phones w. Caller ID

PVDM-256K-4

PVDM2-32

VIC-2FXS

VIC-2FXO

VWIC-1MFT-T1

VWIC-2MFT-T1

WIC-1DSU-T1

WIC-1DSU-T1 V2

NM-HD-2V

NM-4T1-IMA

WIC-1AM

WIC-1B-U

The only thing more I should need is a few more IP Phones?

I'm probably going to sell some of the 1700 Series [since I have more than I really need], the 2950s, and possibly 2 of the 3550s (If I can get a 3750). I was planning [once I have some spare cash] to get some more 2811s and a 3750 to go with the 3560.

My future plans [cert-wise] are:

R&S -- CCNA (Achieved), CCNP (Working on), possibly CCIE
    Voice -- CCNA, maybe CCNP [if I like it and it doesn't get retired before I get to it]
    Security -- CCNA, maybe CCNP [if I like it]
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
    So how expensive is a basic lab in order to know the material for and pass CCNA:V? It looks like I'm going to have to consider a different cert. This one looks expensive. I don't even have a spare $150, which is why I liked GNS3. I'd hate to see how much a CCNP:V lab cost.
    Cat5 wrote: »
    So how expensive is a basic lab in order to know the material for and pass CCNA:V? It looks like I'm going to have to consider a different cert. This one looks expensive. I don't even have a spare $150, which is why I liked GNS3. I'd hate to see how much a CCNP:V lab cost.

The most expensive items seem to be Unity Express modules (AIM-CUE, AIM2-CUE, NM-CUE, NME-CUE, ISM-SRE) and a Server to run CUCM/CUC/CUPS. There is an all-in-one device (UC520, UC540, or UC320W) that should include everything you need to setup a CUCME site (CUCME, CUE, FXO or ISDN, FXS, Built-in Switch with PoE, etc...) It's not cheap ($500 on eBay), but cheaper than buying all the parts separately. You will still need a full CUCM/CUC/CUPS site, though.

I remember seeing a site a while back that was selling servers with CUCM, CUE, and CUPS installed.

CUCM / Unity Lab-Demo Server
    theodoxa wrote: »
    The most expensive items seem to be Unity Express modules (AIM-CUE, AIM2-CUE, NM-CUE, NME-CUE, ISM-SRE) and a Server to run CUCM/CUC/CUPS. There is an all-in-one device (UC520, UC540, or UC320W) that should include everything you need to setup a CUCME site (CUCME, CUE, FXO or ISDN, FXS, Built-in Switch with PoE, etc...) It's not cheap ($500 on eBay), but cheaper than buying all the parts separately. You will still need a full CUCM/CUC/CUPS site, though.

Looks like you're describing a CCNP:Voice cert - not the CCNA one.
    Looks like you're describing a CCNP:Voice cert - not the CCNA one.

The video training I watched for CCNA: Voice included all of those topics, but it was very shallow coverage. I have only been able to play with CUCME 8.5 so far due to the cost.
    Unfortunately for the Voice track they are almost the same (just expansions on a theme), as you need some sort of lab setup with most of the trimmings to be able to perform ICOMM administration on.

Here's my 2 cents worth of suggestions on possible setups, the server would need to be configured as appropriate with CPU/RAM/HDD.

For a BASIC CCNA:Voice setup:
    1 x HQ router (CUE optional)
    1 x ESXi server w/CUCM, CUCx, CUPS, Win XP (for each IP Communicator instance)
    + IP Communicator, VIC/VWIC cards as required

For a PRACTICAL CCNA:Voice setup:
    1 x PSTN router
    1 x PoE switch if using handsets
    1 x ESXi server w/CUCM, CUCx, CUPS, Active Directory Server, Win XP (for each IP Communicator instance)
    + handsets/IP Communicator, WIC/HWIC & VIC/VWIC cards

For a FULL CCNP/CCIE:Voice setup:
    1 x HQ router
    2 x Branch routers (with CUE on one)
    1 x PSTN router
    1 x PoE switch
    1 x ESXi server w/CUCM, CUCx, CUPS, Active Directory Server
    + handsets, WIC/HWIC & VIC/VWIC cards
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm looking into getting the proper equipment how does the list look? I'm confused about the PVDM modules.
    • 2 Cisco 2811 routers with a VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 modules and a Cisco PVDM2-16 module (this PVDM2 module looks like RAM almost, will I need to open the router and manually install this?)
    • One WS-C3560-24 Switch
    • Two 7962 IP phones
    • CUCM, CUC, CUPS software which I can easily run in a VM.
    azaghul wrote: »
    Unfortunately for the Voice track they are almost the same (just expansions on a theme), as you need some sort of lab setup with most of the trimmings to be able to perform ICOMM administration on.

Here's my 2 cents worth of suggestions on possible setups, the server would need to be configured as appropriate with CPU/RAM/HDD.

For a BASIC CCNA:Voice setup:
    1 x ESXi server w/CUCM, CUCx, CUPS, Win XP (for each IP Communicator instance)
    + IP Communicator, VIC/VWIC cards as required

For a PRACTICAL CCNA:Voice setup:
    1 x PSTN router
    1 x PoE switch if using handsets
    1 x ESXi server w/CUCM, CUCx, CUPS, Active Directory Server, Win XP (for each IP Communicator instance)
    + handsets/IP Communicator, WIC/HWIC & VIC/VWIC cards

For a FULL CCNP/CCIE:Voice setup:
    1 x HQ router
    2 x Branch routers (with CUE on one)
    1 x PSTN router
    1 x PoE switch
    1 x ESXi server w/CUCM, CUCx, CUPS, Active Directory Server
    + handsets, WIC/HWIC & VIC/VWIC cards

So I'm curious how long it took you to get your CCNP:Voice cert? Were you already working with voice when you started the track?
    Researching what I need to set up a Voice lab has been a challenge.

To be clear for a basic set up I'd need a 2811 router. My plan to save money is to is add the PVDM module and VWIC2 myself over buying a kit.

My question though is for the second router what can I get away with there? Will a 2600 suffice and is that going to also need a PVDM module?

HQ and PSTN routers entail what hardware requirements by the way? I just don't want to accidentally buy the wrong equipment.

I'm hoping I can get by with two routers here as the cost for this is looking quite high.
    So I'm curious how long it took you to get your CCNP:Voice cert? Were you already working with voice when you started the track?

It took me the full 3 years to complete, life & work commitments changed the original plan (ie: no work, then working away for 15 months without equipment).

I previously worked in the traditional voice area (15+ years) and saw CCNP:Voice as the natural progression...have not worked in Cisco voice at all, but I decided something started should be completed...now if I had my time over, I would have done things differently,l but then hindsight is always 20/20.
    draught wrote: »
    Researching what I need to set up a Voice lab has been a challenge.

To be clear for a basic set up I'd need a 2811 router. My plan to save money is to is add the PVDM module and VWIC2 myself over buying a kit.

My question though is for the second router what can I get away with there? Will a 2600 suffice and is that going to also need a PVDM module?

HQ and PSTN routers entail what hardware requirements by the way? I just don't want to accidentally buy the wrong equipment.

I'm hoping I can get by with two routers here as the cost for this is looking quite high.

HQ is a 2851: WIC-2T, VWIC2-1MFT-E1/T1, VIC-FXS/DID, VIC2-4FXO, PVDM2-64 (leaves enough for transcoding/conferencing without changing the setup)

PSTN is a 3725: running CME v4.1 and a 7960/7914 as the PSTN phone, with multiple E1/T1's and an AIM-VOICE30 (DSP plug-in) to support the voice side of things, and WIC-2T's for cover off the frame-relay data network. Most of us use legacy hardware for the PSTN/data backbone and the 3700 series gives room for growth.
    azaghul wrote: »
    HQ is a 2851: WIC-2T, VWIC2-1MFT-E1/T1, VIC-FXS/DID, VIC2-4FXO, PVDM2-64 (leaves enough for transcoding/conferencing without changing the setup)

PSTN is a 3725: running CME v4.1 and a 7960/7914 as the PSTN phone, with multiple E1/T1's and an AIM-VOICE30 (DSP plug-in) to support the voice side of things, and WIC-2T's for cover off the frame-relay data network. Most of us use legacy hardware for the PSTN/data backbone and the 3700 series gives room for growth.

I have a 2811 in the mail. I bought VWIC2-1MFT-E1/T1 module and a PVDM2-64 module as well. Also a VC2-2FXO and VIC-2FXS. The phones I have are 7960 CP-7960G with a 3550 inline switch.

My budget is nearly broken at this point. Looking at the lab book I don't see many labs that require that second router but there is a voice requirement, what does that entail exactly? Would I be able to get by with my cheaper 2600 that I already own? Sounds like I'm going to need to look into getting one more router.

Does what I have so far sound good? Researching the equipment has been half the work so far. It's going to fun actually setting up the lab, can't wait. Glad I have a great PC that easy handle the virtualization requirements.
    draught wrote: »
    I have a 2811 in the mail. I bought VWIC2-1MFT-E1/T1 module and a PVDM2-64 module as well. Also a VC2-2FXO and VIC-2FXS. The phones I have are 7960 CP-7960G with a 3550 inline switch.

My budget is nearly broken at this point. Looking at the lab book I don't see many labs that require that second router but there is a voice requirement, what does that entail exactly? Would I be able to get by with my cheaper 2600 that I already own? Sounds like I'm going to need to look into getting one more router.

Does what I have so far sound good? Researching the equipment has been half the work so far. It's going to fun actually setting up the lab, can't wait. Glad I have a great PC that easy handle the virtualization requirements.

Yeah, the cost of a voice lab can be daunting. But depending on what/how many tracks you intend to pursue at the CCNP level, it becomes up-sizing the existing lab.

The 2811 with all the trimmings you have will be ideal to practice the concepts for CCNA:Voice, adding CUE would be a bonus, but the cost unfortunately outweighs the benefits.

The PSTN router with associated E1/T1 & serial interfaces is handy for placing VoIP and TDM calls in/out of the 2811 to simulate the real world. But you could just use your 2600 and just place VoIP calls in/out by adding IP Communicator as a IP phone replacement.

With the Lab Book second router/voice requirement, which Lab (where in the book) are referring to? Might be able to give a better answer then.

Researching is 1/2 the fun, just consider it practice for consulting!
    While I think I just might have a shot at a junior voice engineer position possibly. If I can get my CCNA Voice so chances are I'll be going further down the Voice track if all goes well.

I'm using the ciscopress voice lab manual. I'll include a photo (I like real books over kindle) as an example of what I mean.

dPxBYeq.jpg?1

The requirement I'm reading is two routers with voice IOS. What are the requirements to have voice IOS on a router? I'm thinking it's probably best to just get another 2811? Do I need to worry about memory upgrades or anything like that by the way? My understanding is the PVDM module is what's important not flash memory. Not surprised the ebay kits would be mostly ripoffs.

Thanks!
    For voice IOS on a router, you would usually look at the feature sets: ipvoice, advipservices and adventerprise (I usually just use adventerprisek9 as it covers just about everything)

Added to that are:
    • sufficient compact flash to hold the IOS and CUCME (512MB/1GB should future-proof you)
    • enough DRAM memory for that feature set and version (the Cisco feature navigator is the best place to look Cisco Feature Navigator - Cisco Systems or just max it out)
    • enough PVDM/DSPs to cover off any FXO, FXS, E1/T1 ports (2-3 E1/T1 channels configured will do)

So both routers in the Figure 6-10 would need a voice capable IOS, and enough PVDM/DSPs for the E1/T1s (though you'd probably need more for other labs). For a Lab PSTN router a PVDM2-8 or 16 ample.