Options

Keepalive Interface on a switch, possible?

BeanyBeany Member Posts: 177
Afternoon,

I know how to do this on a router's interface but wanted to know if it's possible to do this on a switch interface?

Got a home lab setup but don't have more than a laptop and I need to ping a machine in a different lan to the laptop.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    WilyOne wrote: »

I need to know how it can be done with a switches interface, the link you sent isn't it for a router's interface?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Beany wrote: »
    I need to know how it can be done with a switches interface, the link you sent isn't it for a router's interface?

The link he provided was for switches, so he's answered how to configure keepalives on a switch. This, incidentally, is a link-layer feature and thus has little to do with being able to "ping a machine in a different lan to the laptop." You might get better answers if you listed your device models and provided a topology picture.

Describing technical problems accurately is a key IT skill worth practicing!
  • Options
    I have a 2950 switch and I want to keep one of the interfaces up so that I can ping it when testing it for vlaning.

Wouldn't like to connect multiple pcs/laptops in my lab. Tbh I cant
  • Options
    JoshyJJoshyJ Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Beany wrote: »
    I have a 2950 switch and I want to keep one of the interfaces up so that I can ping it when testing it for vlaning.

Wouldn't like to connect multiple pcs/laptops in my lab. Tbh I cant

Let me ask you. How would you assign an ip address to the interface on a layer 2 switch?
  • Options
    JoshyJ wrote: »
    Let me ask you. How would you assign an ip address to the interface on a layer 2 switch?

you couldn't because a L2 switch would require one IP for management. Maybe i asked the wrong Q, what do you guys do for testing pings between PCs/Laptops in your home lab? Do you do the obvious and just connect couple of workstations to the switch?
  • Options
    iamme4evaiamme4eva Member Posts: 272
    A Layer 2 switch can have IP addresses.

The "one IP for management" you are thinking of...is that the IP address which you assign to vlan 1?

#interface vlan 1
    #ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    #no shut

That is an IP address for vlan 1. (or, more accurately an IP address for the Switched Virtual Interface (SVI) Vlan 1).

You can do the same for any vlan.

#interface vlan 200
    #ip address 192.168.200.1 255.255.255.0
    #no shut

As long as you have a router somewhere, you should then be able to ping from a host in vlan 1 to the SVI in vlan 200.
    Current objective: CCNA Security
    My blog: mybraindump.co.uk
  • Options
    iamme4eva wrote: »
    A Layer 2 switch can have IP addresses.

The "one IP for management" you are thinking of...is that the IP address which you assign to vlan 1?

#interface vlan 1
    #ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
    #no shut

That is an IP address for vlan 1. (or, more accurately an IP address for the Switched Virtual Interface (SVI) Vlan 1).

You can do the same for any vlan.

#interface vlan 200
    #ip address 192.168.200.1 255.255.255.0
    #no shut

As long as you have a router somewhere, you should then be able to ping from a host in vlan 1 to the SVI in vlan 200.

so creating an additional VLAN like the above would allow me to ping it from a another VLAN (obviously with the correct routing) without connecting anything to the interfaces that are in that vlan?
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    The interface the vlan is applied on has to be up. If you don't want to connect something to that port you can configure the outbound port of your switch (for example the connection to a router or another switch) as a trunk port and carry your management vlan that way.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com