Options

16 year old needs advice

2»

Comments

• Options
    KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Finish school. I dropped out, that was a dumb move. I ended up going back and thankful that I did. Try to have more fun with school. If it is really that bad at least test out and get your GED. It is what you make it. If you think school sucks it is going to suck. If you try to put some effort into liking it and keep an open mind about all subject areas you may surprise yourself. Enjoy your youth and while it is exciting to rush into the workplace or the IT field... Work is work. There will be plenty of time for lots of work.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    He admits to failing his non IT classes. He never said they were "boring". The poor attitude is obvious, but not surprising for any 16 year old. But many are recommending moving onto college? That confuses me a little.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ptilsen wrote: »
    Evidence that it doesn't always happen is hardly evidence that it doesn't happen. I can assure you, it happens, just as "discrimination" against people without college degrees happens.
    Your experience is that you've been able to get employed with just your GED. What your experience can't really tell you is how many interviews you haven't gotten because of not having your diploma. However, I'll certainly say that college is more important (GED/diploma have no place on a resume with a college degree on it IMO), and having a GED will definitely unlock doors over having nothing.

I'm sure there are people out their who discriminate but the point I was trying to make was that it's not uncommon to get into IT with a GED. Look at Edward Snowden. He was making 120k as a government contractor with a GED. No saying it won't cause doors to be slammed in your face either but I'm just trying to let the op know that it's not as impossible or as difficult as some people try to make it seem. It's definitely not the ideal move to make if you actually have a choice but I've managed to always find myself employed in spite of the economy and my salary has only been going up.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    He admits to failing his non IT classes. He never said they were "boring". The poor attitude is obvious, but not surprising for any 16 year old. But many are recommending moving onto college? That confuses me a little.
    Going for an associates in IT at the local community college wouldn't be a bad thing. But he'd still have to get past those gen ed classes that we all hate. He needs to find his motivation and dropping out of HS to get your A+/Network+ doesn't sound like a great plan because it's not the standard (for a reason). He may be successful with it, but I don't think it bodes well if he is going to give up every time he runs into something he doesn't like.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    zxshockaxzzxshockaxz Member Posts: 108
    As others have stated, you should look in to an alternative school. I was kind of your stereotypical trouble-maker when I was in middle school, and I had no interest in attending a traditional high school. It was probably one of the best decisions i've made with my life. I attended a B&M school, but all of my work was computerized so I was able to work at my own pace, which I later used to my advantage to finish high school in 3 years (as opposed to 4). My school allowed me to take whatever classes I wanted to at the traditional high school, and then take my other classes at the alternative school. The only classes I took at the traditional school were programming classes, and took the rest of my classes at my alternative school. By my second year of high school, I was already sick of it. The thought of dropping out did cross my mind a few times, but I knew my parents would never go for it. Instead of saying '**** it' and just giving up like a lot of the other kids at that school did, I used my boredom and disinterest of high school to push me to get my work done faster and graduate a year early with a 3.8 GPA.

Looking back, I wish I would have taken my education seriously from a younger age. I especially wish I would have taken more math and science classes. But, I'm in college and making up for it now. I just realize now that I was capable of a lot more than I gave myself credit for when I was a kid. Maybe step back and take a look at yourself. You're in AP classes. You're not dumb. You're probably capable of more than you realize. Enjoy your time NOT being an adult, and don't force yourself to become one yet. Take this time to learn as much as you can.

I've never heard anyone say "Gee, I sure wish I DIDN'T graduate high school."

Just my 2 cents, man. An A+ at 15 is pretty uncommon. Congrats.
  • Options
    BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    Thanks for the great advice everyone, I've decided to stay in school for now and at least finish up my Junior year. I realize that I shouldn't be complaining and I should just take regular English, Math, Science, and History instead of advanced ones to make things easier.

You guys mentioned that high school helps prepare you socially and mentally for the workforce and I definitely agree. I used to work at a fast food restaurant and high school really can help you socially when it comes to dealing with customers, etc.

As for my certification path, I plan to go in this order

MTA (Security and Operating Systems) * I know that you guys said that this one isn't worth much but I like having more certifications on my resume.
    Network+
    CCENT
    Security+

And then CCNA my Senior year in 2015.

At 18 with a diploma, what entry level jobs would be good for these certifications? I plan to start out working for Best Buy or local repair shops so that I can have it on my resume before I graduate. And are there any additional certifications I should consider? ptilsen, you mentioned that I should get my MCTS, should I wait until Senior year to take that?
  • Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Were you my son, id put you over my knee, but since younare not, good luck, hope ta make it.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You may even consider Network+, Security+ then CCENT. The reason is CompTIA exams are more conceptual and about the overall picture. When you get into Cisco you are going to start learning more in depth on routing protocols, securing actual equipment, and many other things where having the concepts allows for a deeper understanding. You will learn the syntax and you will want to have a lot of the knowledge already down.
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Glad to see you plan to stick with school. You won't regret it.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60