Options

Problem with 1861 and HWIC-1T1/E1 card

weakness33weakness33 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've installed a HWIC-1T1/E1 card into a Cisco 1861 router. If I do a sho inv it shows the card in the system...
ROUTER#sho invNAME: "C1861-SRST-F/K9 Chassis", DESCR: "C1861-SRST-F/K9 Chassis"
PID: C1861-SRST-F/K9 , VID: V01, SN: xxxxxxxxxx

NAME: "1 port (2 channel) T1/E1 HWIC in DaughterCard Slot 2", DESCR: "1 port (2 channel) T1/E1 HWIC"
PID: HWIC-1T1/E1 , VID: V01 , SN: xxxxxxxxxx
ROUTER#

If I do a sho run it doesn't list and Serial or T1 interfaces... sho controllers t1 or show controllers serial and it doesn't show anything either.
ROUTER#sho ver
Cisco IOS Software, C1861 Software (C1861-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(4)GC1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
... [lines omitted]
System image file is "flash:c1861-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.GC1.bin"

What am I missing here? The 1861s do have a limitied about or cards they support but this specific model is supported per Cisco product documentation.

Comments

• Options
    Any ideas? Still searching out there on the web and not having any luck.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like the card is not configured. Since the card can be either T1 or E1 the show commands will not work until you define the card type and configure the controller.

To select the card type:
    conf t
    card type t1 (or) e1 ---> depending on your application

Heres a link to the cisco doc configuration page so you can configure it anyway you see fit:

1-, 2-, and 4-Port T1/E1 HWICs and 8-Port T1/E1 Network Module* [Cisco IOS Software Releases 12.4 Special and Early Deployments] - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Wow - I thought it would be like other devices where it just comes into the config as admin down and go from there. Thanks I'll check it out when I get home and let you know.
  • Options
    Not a problem I found that when I was configuring T1/E1 cards on a 7200VXR. First thing I thought that the cards aren't working icon_redface.gif
  • Options
    I don't have a hwic card handy to make sure but on a VWIC2-MTF1-E1 it should be a similar configuration on the HWIC

To configure the card for T1 you can do something like this:
    en
    conf t

card type t1 0 0
    controller t1 0/0/0

channel-group 0 timeslot 1-24
    framing esf

int s0/0/0:0
    ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
    no shut
  • Options
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    I don't have a hwic card handy to make sure but on a VWIC2-MTF1-E1

Unfortunately I found out that the VIC/VWIC cards are not compatible with 1861 models, only HWIC cards icon_cry.gif - but I'll try it out with the HWIC and see how it goes.

Cisco 1800 Series Integrated Services Routers Interfaces and Modules - Cisco Systems
  • Options
    Ok, thats fine but the configuration should be similar on the HWIC.
  • Options
    dmarcisco wrote: »
    Ok, thats fine but the configuration should be similar on the HWIC.

(Sorry I did an edit of my post must have been right as you were writing yours)