Need advice on ITIL certification

avaniavani Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello..I am from India.I have service desk experience(tech support) of around 13 months.After that i quit my job to pursue mba.Now i want to get into IT service management/problem management/incident management.Will ITIL or ITSM certification be useful to me at this point of my career?Please Help

Comments

• omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    not necessarily.......ITIL Foundation test is just a waste of ur money....some company here in th US requires it casue whichever govt contract job the company has, requires the cert but other than that, it's a worthless cert....
  • XyroXyro Member Posts: 623
    ITIL, a useless cert??? I believe not as I have seen many jobs that require it and some jobs where it is the only requirement.
  • Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's a good checkbox to check, but I definitely agree that it's overpriced (especially after Axelos took over recently and jacked the prices). For the material covered and the ROI of the certification, $215 for ITIL is almost as overpriced as CompTIA.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say that ITIL is definitely worth getting. I applied to take an ITIL course at work because one of the areas I am interested in requires it as standard.
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It is a cert that is definitely becoming more and more common and recommended in the support arena. As it focuses on the Business aspects of IT and the Service Lifecycle, it definitely gives you insight into what role that IT plays in the business and helps you speak the language more so, invariably being able to sell yourself using business terminology and ideology gives you an advantage for those who are only technically savvy. Being able to show you have knowledge on the business impact and cycles definitely can set you apart when in competition for positions.

omi2123 wrote: »
    not necessarily.......ITIL Foundation test is just a waste of ur money....some company here in th US requires it casue whichever govt contract job the company has, requires the cert but other than that, it's a worthless cert....

I think you are misinformed.
    Cert Poor wrote: »
    It's a good checkbox to check, but I definitely agree that it's overpriced (especially after Axelos took over recently and jacked the prices). For the material covered and the ROI of the certification, $215 for ITIL is almost as overpriced as CompTIA.

It is expensive for the level of difficulty but it has way more pull than the Comptia Project+, and I've had associates placed specifically for having ITIL in Project lead/management roles with the Cert being a minimum requirement. They are able to leverage their technical certs and speak on the ITIL aspects and best practices; leading projects because of it.
  • avaniavani Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So will ITIL/ITSM certification help me in getting a job in the same field in India ?
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It really depends on your market.

I know it was really beneficial for me to have when interviewing, each company was happy that I had a good grounding in ITIL/ITSM.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • shajeershajeer Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi avani..me too from india..

you are looking into ITIL foundation or managerial
    Hello.I am planning to do ITIL foundation.
  • daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the ITIL is getting way too much attention as a requirement for getting a position, when in fact it should be something you acquire AFTER you have a management position. The MBA provides more value for companies, and they should understand that.
    daviddws wrote: »
    it should be something you acquire AFTER you have a management position.

I'd completely disagree with this. It's a valuable cert to have for any tech as it shows they understand how the various ITSM functions work on a higher level.

• NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Way I see it is, any employee who has a better understanding of how the overall business works (this includes HR, Facilities, IT), adds overall value to the company. The ITIL material is a very solid business knowledge base for IT professionals
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    How much is this cert? is it really 1500$?
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    How much is this cert? is it really 1500$?

The exam is at most $200. 2 weeks study of the material and you can pass it.

• rahulserahulse Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi ,
    Where may I find the list of EXIN Accredited Training Centres .
  • ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    rahulse wrote: »
    Hi ,
    Where may I find the list of EXIN Accredited Training Centres .

Search on Exin's website. You can also take this exam online with a webcam. I use that method, as it was extra convenient!
    Thank you everyone for your valuable suggestions. :)))
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen many, many higher jobs (IT Managers, directors of IT, Sr level positions) require ITIL foundation. A lot of bigger companies want you to understand the in's and out's of IT. I have a couple of friends who have this certification - they have said it's a valuable certification to show you that you have an understanding on management and awareness.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ITIL ---> PMP ---> Six Sigma ---> CISSP/CRISC/CISA/GCPM??
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • diggitlediggitle Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How was the ICND1 test?
    c colon i net pub dubdubdub root
  • akazeroakazero Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    diggitle wrote: »
    ITIL ---> PMP ---> Six Sigma ---> CISSP/CRISC/CISA/GCPM??

I don't think you need to take them in that order but ITIL is a good start.