Options

Is the access list implemented in interface or IOS?

johnifanx98johnifanx98 Member Posts: 329
"sh ip interface" shows

"outgoing access list is not set
inbound access list is not set"

It hints the access list functionality is implemented in the IP interface. It makes sense for the standard access list since the IP interface does process the src IP in the IP header. However, is it the same case for the extended access list? Does the IP interface also process the transport headers?

Comments

• Options
    _Gonzalo__Gonzalo_ Member Posts: 113
    Yes, access lists are applied to interfaces and it does not depend on the type of list. It would not make sense to apply them globally, as you will always want to restrict depending on the interface.

Source and destination addresses would be checked for extended lists, and more parameters could be checked, like port number or type of traffic. But it is not related to any process that the interface may do. Access lists check and permit or drop with their own processes.
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I guess the one example where an ACL is NOT applied to an interface is for a NAT config
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • Options
    _Gonzalo__Gonzalo_ Member Posts: 113
    Well, there are lots of examples. ACLs are used in combination with many things. But when used by themselves, they are applied to interfaces.
  • Options
    OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ACLs are used for more than just interface level configuration. They can also be used on SVIs, they can be used for policy routing, identifying traffic when configuring a route map, and if you really want to, you can also use it to identify your QoS traffic in the event your voice or video devices are running on a dedicated subnet if you're using the DiffServ model. There are more uses, but these are just a few. You can also run a debug with an ACL applied in the event you only want to monitor traffic associated with a particular IP/port
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • Options
    bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    ACLs are used for more than just interface level configuration. They can also be used on SVIs, they can be used for policy routing, identifying traffic when configuring a route map, and if you really want to, you can also use it to identify your QoS traffic in the event your voice or video devices are running on a dedicated subnet if you're using the DiffServ model. There are more uses, but these are just a few. You can also run a debug with an ACL applied in the event you only want to monitor traffic associated with a particular IP/port

Wolf is spot on, I've found from my studies that ACL's are used for so much more than basic (CCNA) permit/block. Especially when completing the NP you find that you use them more for changing BGP attributes, I find Prefix-List's more granular than ACL's :)
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikeybinec wrote: »
    I guess the one example where an ACL is NOT applied to an interface is for a NAT config

NAT
    QoS (CCIE, CCNP: Voice ?)
    Route Filtering (CCNP)
    Route Maps (CCNP)
    VTY Lines and HTTP Server
    Zone-Based Firewall (CCNA: Security)
    And Probably Many More That I Forgot

ACLs are frequently used to identify traffic for things like NAT, QoS, Route Maps, and Zone-Based Firewall.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]