Has anyone passed 461, 462, 463 without work experience?

laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
I'm a software tester with 3-4 years of experience and touch sql server management studio once in a while to check data records but I don't really count this as experience. I also worked 1 year in application support but didn't really use SQL Server that much (only basic restore database, increase size).

I'm curious if anyone passed these exams (461, 462, 463) through self-study by reading books and training videos?

Comments

• nsternster Member Posts: 231
    I'm studying for the 462 without any experience. Labbing a lot can help mitigate that you don't have much experience. However, I'm doing this exam in lieu of the 412 for the MCSA Windows Server, as I feel like having basic knowledge of how to Administer SQL Server could be useful
  • zaleonardzzaleonardz Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Define software tester,

Have you done any Visual Studio Work

462 I would say if you have half a clue about computers, domains, file systems you can wing it, no problem
    461 Is a bit of a different beast, and you can do it without any experience, but your going to need to work hard at it, as there is a lot of cognitive links you wont have without experience,

The exam querying on 461 is basic, but you need to be able to visualize data, tables, have reporting experience ect. THis has to be in minds view, you need to understand all of this. Example, if I talk about a common table expression, your not going to get why it rocks if you have not sat there for hours and hours and have written queries that have 10 or more L/R joins, or why use views, your aggregate functions.

463, I will let ya know how it goes, as I have just started, but this looks to be largely based in visual studio...
  • laptoplaptop Member Posts: 214
    nster wrote: »
    I'm studying for the 462 without any experience. Labbing a lot can help mitigate that you don't have much experience. However, I'm doing this exam in lieu of the 412 for the MCSA Windows Server, as I feel like having basic knowledge of how to Administer SQL Server could be useful

Thanks. I'll probably study 462 first then 461.
    zaleonardz wrote: »
    Define software tester,

Have you done any Visual Studio Work

462 I would say if you have half a clue about computers, domains, file systems you can wing it, no problem
    461 Is a bit of a different beast, and you can do it without any experience, but your going to need to work hard at it, as there is a lot of cognitive links you wont have without experience,

The exam querying on 461 is basic, but you need to be able to visualize data, tables, have reporting experience ect. THis has to be in minds view, you need to understand all of this. Example, if I talk about a common table expression, your not going to get why it rocks if you have not sat there for hours and hours and have written queries that have 10 or more L/R joins, or why use views, your aggregate functions.

463, I will let ya know how it goes, as I have just started, but this looks to be largely based in visual studio...

I haven't done Visual Studio work. Programmers uses it everyday and we only use visual studio for automation once in a while. Based on your comment, I think I'll study for 462 first. I took a SQL query course a long time ago (select statements, left and right inner/outer joins, order by, etc) but it's most likely not enough to master the exam.

I'm looking at the 463 exam objectives. It talks about "Design and implement dimensions" and "Design and implement fact tables". The software I test at work is related to Fact Tables, Analysis Services, Dimensions, Attributes. I'm more interested in this exam though: https://www.microsoft.com/learning/en-ca/exam-70-448.aspx

Thanks
  • nsternster Member Posts: 231
    BTW, you can substitute the 463 by the 411 412 or 483
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Man if you can do this without experience hats off. I failed 461 twice and I write SQL everyday for over 2 years and not just selects, but SP, triggers, CTE, Windowing, advanced aggregates etc. I eventually backed off due my career progression plan, (mapped out by my bosses).

I think it would be great to get but I just don't see how someone with 0 SQL skills can pass 461.
  • MohauMoorosiMohauMoorosi Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well it's a bit two folded. On the one side, you need to study and cover all the exam objectives, this you can achieve by reading books and watching Nuggets, Trainsignal videos etc. While on the other hand, if you're working with the technology this makes it easier for you to relate to some of the scenario questions during the exam.

The sad part about all these certifications is that not everyone that's certified really has a clue how to implement everything in real-world production/Development environments. So 8 times out of 10, companies tend to be more lenient towards experience than certification accolades
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From what I have seen database is all experience.
  • burghard82burghard82 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good points @N2IT and MohauMoorosi. I just started using SQL in 2013 and haven't used it much day to day in about 10 months. I passed the 98-364 no problems and can't really gauge how I did on my first attempt at the 70-461 because I didn't really study for it as I needed. However, in studying for it properly this go around (utilized Free Second Shot) using the Itzik Ben-Gan MS Training Kit and then PluralSight it is a lot better knowing your way around SQL and then using the study materials to just add and fill in the knowledge. The 70-461 is definitely difficult and the scenarios where it has you sometimes write code means you have to understand the concepts.
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Now, I backed out and not planning to go for MCSA (461, 462, and 463).

Anyone know if MCTS (individual exam) worth getting?
    MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Business Intelligence Development and Maintenance
    MCTS: Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance