Options

Weird potential interview offer

kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've gone through some weird interview processes, but this one tops my list, and I want to know what y'all think.

I sent in my resume to a local Fortune 500 company SOC. This would be for a Security Engineer doing scanning/remediation type of work. Initially the lead contact was difficult to work with via e-mail but eventually I got a phone interview 2 weeks later. The phone interview was an initial screen, and went through fine. I got an e-mail that next Monday from the lead, who want to schedule an in-person interview.

Keep in mind the last contact I had /w him was 2 1/2 weeks ago. I sent him 2 e-mails with no response. Today, I get another e-mail from the same guy. He said "sorry for the delay in response", but still wanted to interview.

What would you think in the process? Would you want to move forward knowing how flakey the interview process has gone? I'm still looking, however I'm not sure if I want to bother or not. Looking for feedback....

Comments

• Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Do you already have another offer on the table that is acceptable? If not, why close a door on this potential opportunity?
  • Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I worked at a Fortune 500 company a couple years back. They literally took at least 2 months to hire a position. And I mean 2 months from the start of the first phone interview. There would be weeks of time before hearing from them again... I even asked a few manager's about why that was and they couldn't give a real answer. Saying it was just the way things are done.

That was for a very large, successful medical device company.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would but the problem is I'm looking at Glassdoor for this particular location, and it's not good. I'm seeing things like high turn over rates, low pay, etc. The positives were that it was a good place to pick up some skill sets, and then leave for greener pastures.

Just not sure if I want to waste my time or not.
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I went through the same process. I guess it's normal these days. Eventually I got the job.
  • Options
    joelsfoodjoelsfood Member Posts: 1,027 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Definitely not surprising to me for a large company. I've seen even internal hiring processes here (ie, filling a job with internal applicants) go two months or more.
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't see nothing weird.

Recently I had an interview with Fortune 500 company where I had to dial a toll-free conference number. It didn't work. I was called by an interviewer who tried to set up a conference. He spent around 10 minutes doing that and failed and he just suggested me to make a distance call on another number. Next interview with the same company, also by phone, I received an incorrect phone number, did my several attempts using "land" line and cellular, wrote an e-mail to them about it (to this moment ~10 minutes of alloted interview time went by) and they said sorry, we gave you wrong number, now dial this one and you'll be fine.

Sloppy interviews are a norm I'd say from my recent experiences... I also had situations when I called a conference number but nobody joined, recruiters messing EDT with EST and therefore failing to schedule an interview in appropriate time, etc.

Ideal interview is pretty rare. Ideal interview has several ways to connect that you can choose and use others as a fallback if primary method doesn't work. Ideal interview is when they ask you specific tech questions that have determined correct and incorrect answers not depending on opinions and you either deliver or fail. In ideal interview you are asked prepared in advance questions, so you can be sure that you and other candidates are filtered fairly because everyone gets the same questions. Ideal interview has scenario questions to test your decision making and filter out people who just memorize stuff, but correctness of the answers is scientifically proven and industry approved, so it also doesn't depend on opinions. Ideal interview happens ~1 in 25. Setting up all of this takes time and effort, so no surprise that most lazy HR people don't do that.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sounds like a typical interview process for me
  • Options
    BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Same process I'm in now. It happens is all that I can say. Usually the people doing the interviewing have other full-time jobs, things get pushed back, forgotten about until they make time, etc. It doesn't mean that it's a bad company, just means that they have things to do.
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    kiki162 wrote: »
    I would but the problem is I'm looking at Glassdoor for this particular location, and it's not good. I'm seeing things like high turn over rates, low pay, etc. The positives were that it was a good place to pick up some skill sets, and then leave for greener pastures.

Just not sure if I want to waste my time or not.

I work for a large company that has very low ratings when it comes to worker satisfaction. I enjoy working there and find that most of the negativity comes from people who have been there for 20 to 30 years. As far as the interview goes sometimes people are just busy, If it's ment to be it will happen.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I wouldn't pay attention to Glassdoor ratings. Happy employees rarely seek out job sites to post about how much they like their job. Dont worry about what other people do. getting in a SOC for a Fortune 500 is great for the resume.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark