Options

Can't ping pc on other host

bmnaughtbmnaught Banned Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□

So i have made this topology and tried both RIP and EIGRP but unfortunately both are not working

Comments

• Options
    Can anyone help?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What can you ping? Do you see routes? Are default gateways set? PC firewalls? So many things it could be hard to help you with so little info.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I dont know how to share this file here. I am running it on packet tracer.
    I can ping pc in same network. What info you need , Gateway are all set

I am using 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 and 11.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 and 17.0.0.0 255.254.0.0
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    bmnaught wrote: »

So i have made this topology and tried both RIP and EIGRP but unfortunately both are not working

Well a few things, like Networker said, some of the basics need to be covered.

A few key things to check.

1. Do the L2 switches have default gateways set to their respective routers?

2. Are the vlan's administratively shutdown? - if you do a show running-config do the 'interface vlan 1' as an example have 'shutdown' under them?

3. If your using RIP are you using version 2? is 'no auto-summary' enabled?

4. EIGRP - are they all using the same automous system number across all of the routers?

5. Have you configured the ports on the switches that connect to the routers on the same vlan as the IP address of the interface on the router? - IE: if the router switch-facing interface is 192.168.102.1 does the vlan on the switch also have a IP address in the 192.168.102.0 range?

6. Have you enabled 'switchport mode access' and 'switchport access vlan [ID-number]' on the respective ports associated with the vlan on each switch including the uplink to the router? ...as an example to configure all ports for the 24 port switch you would do: enable, config t, inter range fa0/1-24, then switchport mode access, then switchport access vlan [ID-number], at this point if the vlan has a ip address set, you should see the vlan in question changed from administratively down, to administratively up.

7. Have you set the default gateway of the end-devices like the PC's to the IP address of the router for each vlan?

8. Do you have a gateway-of-last-resort on the routers with an administrative distance set above the default distance of routing protocols? - IE 110 is OSPF, and RIP is 120, and EIGRP is 90. with that being said setting a last resort route with 'ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [next-hop router] 150' sets the administrative distance to 150 so in-case the routing protocols don't work, it still sends the data statically. You wouldn't set it without a distance of 150 cause a static route has a distance of 1 and that would negate routing protocols, lol!

With these questions asking, the one that looks like the problem to me is none of the ports are in a access mode for their respective vlans just by look at all the down-ports on the switches.

Could you copy a 'show running-config' of one of the switches in your reply, simply highlight the entire content of a running config from a switch and press Ctrl+C and then just paste it into your reply. I presuming the same issue is across all switches.
  • Options
    Trevor
    It is just a simple configuration, Actually i have started last week or so for CCNA.

Things I Don't know
    what is auto summarization. How should I use it in EIGRP

I have taken 4 router give ip address to each interface I havent done any Vlan configuration

• Options

yes

2. Are the vlan's administratively shutdown? - if you do a show running-config do the 'interface vlan 1' as an example have 'shutdown' under them?

Dont know whats that

3. If your using RIP are you using version 2? is 'no auto-summary' enabled?

I am using RIP version 2
    4. EIGRP - are they all using the same automous system number across all of the routers?

yes same Autonomous number
    5. Have you configured the ports on the switches that connect to the routers on the same vlan as the IP address of the interface on the router? - IE: if the router switch-facing interface is 192.168.102.1 does the vlan on the switch also have a IP address in the 192.168.102.0 range?
    yes

6. Have you enabled 'switchport mode access' and 'switchport access vlan [ID-number]' on the respective ports associated with the vlan on each switch including the uplink to the router? ...as an example to configure all ports for the 24 port switch you would do: enable, config t, inter range fa0/1-24, then switchport mode access, then switchport access vlan [ID-number], at this point if the vlan has a ip address set, you should see the vlan in question changed from administratively down, to administratively up.

Not configured this Dont know much about switchport

7. Have you set the default gateway of the end-devices like the PC's to the IP address of the router for each vlan?

yes Sir
  • Options
    koz24koz24 Member Posts: 766 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you tried to traceroute the destination device? I would suggest starting there
  • Options
    Trevor
    It is just a simple configuration, Actually i have started last week or so for CCNA.

Things I Don't know
    what is auto summarization. How should I use it in EIGRP

I have taken 4 router give ip address to each interface I havent done any Vlan configuration

I'd suggest a tracert, but with the port amber, we already know for a fact the ports aren't configured. doubtful a virtual Packet Tracer switch would be virtually broken, lol!!!! ...amber means a faulty switch hardware function....

start with the vlan configuration for the switches and setting up the switchport mode access and access vlan [ID] for the ports and I bet those ports will light up and you can ping the routers.

Well not to explain it all.

for RIP and EIGRP, you do the following:

RIP:
    config t
    router rip
    version 2
    no auto-summary - if your just starting out in CCNA, you'll learn what it does later on down the road. it basically prevents spam, lol.
    network 192.168.102.0 - if your network is say 192.168.102.0 255.255.255.0 leave the hosts octet with a zero, let the router figure out the hosts.
    keep adding 'network ip-subnet' for each network in the routing table.

EIGRP:
    config t
    router eigrp [300] <--- autonomous number needs to be the same across all routers
    network 192.168.102.0 - if your network is say 192.168.102.0 255.255.255.0 leave the hosts octect with a zero, let the router figure out the hosts.
    keep adding 'network ip-subnet' for each network in the routing table.
  • Options
    can i use this network in L2 17.0.0.0/11?
  • Options
    that's a crap ton of hosts, but sure.
  • Options
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I'd suggest a tracert, but with the port amber, we already know for a fact the ports aren't configured. doubtful a virtual Packet Tracer switch would be virtually broken, lol!!!! ...amber means a faulty switch hardware function....

This is not entirely true. The default STP of IEEE 802.1D will have the ports in amber for the Learning and Listening states unless portfast is configured, which it isn't by default. If he took that screenshot as soon as he fired up the topology, those ports will be spending time in the Listening and Learning states and only then will they transition to a forwarding state and turn green.

OP should definitely traceroute after the ports turn green. Follow the packet.

Obviously if OP tried to ping a device while the ports were Listening/Learning, that's the reason the ping failed.
  • Options

yes

Also, I think you guys are confusing a few key topics. The purpose of the default-gateway on L2 switches is for management(Telnet/SSH) purposes. It has no effect on forwarding data in the data plane. In other words, it shouldn't matter whether he has a default gateway configured or not.
    Are the vlan's administratively shutdown? - if you do a show running-config do the 'interface vlan 1' as an example have 'shutdown' under them?

Dont know whats that

Careful not to confuse VLANs with SVIs. VLAN 1 cannot be shutdown for instance, and should not be confused with interface VLAN 1. Again, int vlan 1 on a L2 switch has no effect on forwarding data, it's there for management purposes and things like traceroute.
  • Options
    It worked guys
  • Options
    Knew that it would. Glad we could help.

What did it end up being?