Options

Posting Credentials in your work email Signature

13»

Comments

• Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can only think the time this would be deemed as possibly appropriate is if you are a contractor or consultant attempting to identify a brand of skill-sets to your name. In an organization where you are hired to do a specific job and that job typically requires you to have the skill-sets of what the certification teaches, it tells me you are just seeking attention. If you have a high level cert in a position that does not require it, again you are seeking attention and probably should be looking for a more challenging job to make use of those skills.

Just my .02...
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I worked for an MSP, whoever created my email signature included my certs in the sig. I didn't want to screw with it lol.
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
  • Options
    datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sheiko37 wrote: »
    I work in a global company with a large number of people with no certifications, so I like it when I see someone list them in their email signature, it tells me they actually are interested and educated in the field rather than just ending up here.

I feel the same way. I think it should be more a matter of preference. I worked hard for MS degree, PMP, PMI-ACP and VCP5-DCV, so I display them.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You know, I guess it depends on where you work. I work as an instructor. Many of our instructors put their certs in their signatures. Oddly enough, I haven't done so. I guess having to put my name, rank, and branch of military in the signature block for 22 years cured me of the desire to put such things in my sig. If my boss asked me to, I am sure I would comply. Until then...I'll just leave them guessing.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    Everyone at work knows who has certs and who doesnt. I used it as my signature IF i really have to.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I just put my title and my shoe-size. if they're not impressed by that, my certs won't make a difference.

In all seriousness, though, it really would depend on the situation for me. As tpatt100 mentioned, it's definitely something an independent contractor would want to do in order to stand out, both in an email signature and on business cards. As a permanent employee in a more standard work-environment, I'd only really put my certs in my signature if my company wanted me to, or if it was to reassure the clients/customers that we really *are* Microsoft partners. In the other 90% of cases, though, I doubt I'd bother.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    suntosunto Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    --
    Name Name
    Title
    Phone
    Certs
    Company Logo
  • Options
    scadascada Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Name, MBA,CISSP
    Title
    Department
    Company
    Office Phone
    Email

I don't list all of my certs . Most people in the office will lit their MBA or Doctoral Degree. However people with an M.S. usually won' list it.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    on my gmail:

Jack Bauer
    Network Engineer - CCIE #5786x
    phone n
    email add
    visualcv
    linkedin

on my work sig:

Jack Bauer
    CCIE #| CCDP
    shift hours
    and other stuff company requires
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used to do this, but not anymore. Aside from I'm no longer working in a professional services industry, I try to imitate the big wigs in our company that only indicate their names in their e-mail signature. icon_bounce.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't even list my certs here lol. just one of those things
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like to see a few on people's work dogs but always feel people who list the basic certs plus the more advanced ones are trying too hard. A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCP, MCSE, CCENT, CCNA, etc.
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't list certs in work signature. Serves no purpose for me. Most people understand my level of skill quickly after a few minutes of interaction. I've notice that the ability to live up to those certs, and the work quality you would think would be associated with those who list them usually doesn't match what you would expect (especially for people who list 4-5.)

To harp on another point made, a previous manager and director used to list their certs quite heavily, and the passive aggressive shade thrown their way was legit.

They even got it from tier 1-tier 2 guys, who would respond to their inquiries "I would think someone with cert "X, Y, Z" would know that. Sure the tier 1 / tier 2 were tore a new one... but I always got a slight chuckle when folks would throw shade at their signature certs, they would get all "How dare you! I am the Manager this or Director that, you can't speak to me this way, do you not know the hierarchy of power here...?"

2-minutes of silliness listening to the nonsense, then back to work.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    Sheiko37Sheiko37 Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sheiko37 wrote: »
    I work in a global company with a large number of people with no certifications, so I like it when I see someone list them in their email signature, it tells me they actually are interested and educated in the field rather than just ending up here.

I just want to say that reading my post from two years ago... I've completely changed my mind and listing certifications in an email signature is just dumb.