Options

Promotion to sys admin fell flat on its face this morning

2»

Comments

• Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    I was in the same situation as you were. Too valuable and competent to promote.

I would shoot out your resume to other companies and see what is out there.

At the same time, I would get your manager to commit to a transition timeframe if there were able to get new employees into the help desk. Find out how long you would have to stick around and train them before you move up. Meet with that manager every week to make sure they stick to their end of the deal.

If they can't offer a time of timeframe, or don't want to meet their end of the deal, then they are playing you for a sucker.

Where are the other employees going? Promotion? Lateral transfer? Job burnout? If it is a promotion, then you need to follow suit as well.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree with Jock if he can't agree to a timeline then I would consider applying elsewhere. That in itself is risky, but no commitment would not be a good situation to be in.

Confront manager and politely request a transition strategy if that bombs then start cranking out resumes to jobs that interest you.

FYI Even when I am content I crank out resumes for positions that pay higher and allow me to gain more skills.
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately timing in these cases is everything, and sometimes it doesn't work out in your favor. I would start looking, but try and keep a good attitude at work, because they will be watching you closely. You could tell them you are a little disappointed, but I wouldn't take it any farther then that. You got a bad break. I would love to say this is your last one, but that would be a lie.
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    ^^ I agree with David. Be sure to put on that smile everyday until its time to make your move. They will learn a valuable lesson when you leave.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    100k wrote: »
    ^^ I agree with David. Be sure to put on that smile everyday until its time to make your move. They will learn a valuable lesson when you leave.

They won't learn. They might miss the departing employee, but I think if they were capable of getting that lesson they would have already found some way to help him move forward.

They'll go "ouch", of course. That vacancy will mean stuff isn't getting done and they won't have someone to abuse, but nothing more.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ball is definitely in your court because even if you are an at will employee they couldn't afford to fire you. What I did when I was expecting a hefty raise and got shafted was simply state that if that was the raise I would have to begin to look for a new job. The Director of Operations was stunned when I said it and did the typical line "that is a really good raise percentage" etc. I simply stated that promises were made, I was performing beyond what I was hired for, and that it cost me money to come to work everyday. He followed with would I at least give them time to make a counter and I said sure. Week later I had doubled my raise with the promise to stay on at least six months before looking again. I stayed almost a whole year after that.

One thing I have learned in my years of working is silence is consent. You can very easily express your discontent without offending or burning a bridge. Everyone is out to make a buck and you need to be concerned with number one. Most companies will find a middle ground for someone who is of value. Lose a valuable member of the team completely over something small or give them a timeline to what they want keeping them and stopping the bleeding? Simple business decision.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    You got all the power now. Use this to your advantage and go to them as soon as possible and ask for a 10% raise in the interim while you hire and train up the new employees. If they ask why say you are going to be taking on a larger role doing this. If they say no, then right there right then put in your 2 weeks (if you can afford to do so) and most likely they will cave and give it to you. If not then be prepared to walk. I'm pretty sure they cannot afford to lose all 3 techs at the same time, one being the lead.

If you cannot afford to just quit then just walk out of the office after they say no and literally don't say a word. You're not quitting just then, but they will know you will be soon if they don't pay you. They can't fire you as their hands are tied and you keep looking aggressively for a new job. Either way as soon as you bring up the pay me or promote me or i move on thing, they will never give you a good recommendation to future employers.

I've seen so many people black listed from moving from service desk to anywhere it's ridiculous because they know it's a revolving door.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    One thing I have learned in my years of working is silence is consent. You can very easily express your discontent without offending or burning a bridge. Everyone is out to make a buck and you need to be concerned with number one. Most companies will find a middle ground for someone who is of value. Lose a valuable member of the team completely over something small or give them a timeline to what they want keeping them and stopping the bleeding? Simple business decision.

It can be hard for someone without the experience to properly negotiate with their boss regarding compensation. Took me a couple jobs before I got to the point where I know what I want, I know how to say what I want in the most appropriate way, and I know how to respond to all the standard bullshit excuses they will throw out to try and get you to accept less.

Always ask for a bit more than you know you can get. Always be able to back up your request for more compensation with documentation of your performance/skills along with what you are worth on the open market. Always know how valuable you are to your employer and how much time/money it would take to replace you. Know how to deflect the excuses they throw out. Be willing to walk away from the initial negotiation without having anything decided. And probably most importantly, know how to do all that without **** them off.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    to the OP, they have effectively told you that they aren't interested in your career progression. *I* would leave, but that's just me... if you do choose to stay, and take others' advice to ask when you would be allowed to be promoted, make sure you get it in writing, that way if they hem and haw when it is time, you have a firm, convincing reason to leave, and you can show them that it was because of their lack of honesty/ethics, not you, that forced you to leave.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I see this happen all the time; promotions dragging out for a period of a year or more. There's no excuse for that kind of garbage.

My first reaction is to tell you to leave - But if you're in an overall good situation and can't necessarily get a sys admin job elsewhere, that probably isn't the best decision. Your employer likely understands this, and it could be part of the reason they felt comfortable killing your promotion like that.

Leave, don't leave, that's up to you - But take this as a learning opportunity. If you're interested in career progression, you need to be willing and able to leave for a better situation. IT is a do-ocracy, and you can acquire tangible credentials in other ways (as you've done with Network+). Build yourself, and have much more control over your career.

Good luck!
  • Options
    BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This basically tells you that there is no upward mobility. You are stuck in that position, so show them that instead of them keeping you within the company they have now lost you all together. Don't burn any bridges but do the right thing for yourself, they are basically trying to keep you in the blackhole.

I would find a new job, do everything by the book, put in your two weeks notice, tell your manager that you are grateful for the experience, but that its time for you to advance your career.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Options
    bryguybryguy Member Posts: 190
    I was almost in the exact same situation as a "working supervisor" on a help desk working for roughly $10/hr. I had an associate's degree in Network Administration, and I thought that would help get my foot in the door along with my Network+ for a network admin position. Here's the thing though, I never bothered to groom anyone as my replacement . So when they gave the position to one of my direct reports who had very little network experience, I was frustrated. What I came to realize is that there was only one of me, and a dozen or so help desk agents. They could afford to lose him with little impact to the operation. They couldn't afford to transfer me, because I was the only daytime supervisor. By not grooming someone to fill my shoes I esentially painted myself into a corner.

I eventually ended up leaving for a better paying help desk supvisor position, but I learned from my mistake and groomed someone as my replacement when I started as a supervisor at my new job. During my time there, I had him back me up when I was out of the office, slowly delegating some of my tasks to him. By the time I applied for a transfer to a networking position, he knew my job inside and out. When management asked who I had in mind to replace me, I pointed to the guy I had been grooming over the last year, and they applauded my choice. I was transferred to a networking position with no hassle.
  • Options
    thrshr2004thrshr2004 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think my response to this situation is going to be that I request the title and pay now, then I will be content staying on the service desk for a little while longer. They have posted the jobs but they still need to get some bodies in there so I can train them.

My next issue becomes I have absolutely no experience dealing with situations like this nor have I ever had to negotiate anything in my life lol. Before working in IT I worked at a General Motors factory where I was just an hourly employee. There was no negotiation on anything at all.

What would be the best way to ask for this? Not necessarily about asking for the raise but asking them to give me the tittle and whatnot.
  • Options
    thrshr2004thrshr2004 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I mean, since they are telling me the promotion is mine and there is nothing for me to worry about then they shouldn't have any issues giving me the title now correct?
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are correct. Get the title now and make sure to verify that HR has you listed under your new title, I have seen companies give promotions before but not updating that with HR so it becomes your word against theirs. If they refuse to give you the title now then get it in writing that the promotion is indeed yours. Do not ever believe that its yours and not to worry about it, if its not in writing then it doesn't exist. Companies lie these days especially in states that are at will which means they can let you go anytime for any reason while stringing you along until they have enough staff. I know this sucks but there is no loyalty anymore you are a free agent which means you look out for number one which is you.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote: »
    You got all the power now. Use this to your advantage and go to them as soon as possible and ask for a 10% raise in the interim while you hire and train up the new employees. If they ask why say you are going to be taking on a larger role doing this. If they say no, then right there right then put in your 2 weeks (if you can afford to do so) and most likely they will cave and give it to you. If not then be prepared to walk. I'm pretty sure they cannot afford to lose all 3 techs at the same time, one being the lead.

If you cannot afford to just quit then just walk out of the office after they say no and literally don't say a word. You're not quitting just then, but they will know you will be soon if they don't pay you. They can't fire you as their hands are tied and you keep looking aggressively for a new job. Either way as soon as you bring up the pay me or promote me or i move on thing, they will never give you a good recommendation to future employers.

I've seen so many people black listed from moving from service desk to anywhere it's ridiculous because they know it's a revolving door.

If you play games like that then they may just start looking for your replacement before you make the decision to get a new job. Never threaten to quit if you're not fully prepared to do so and once you've made the decision to leave, it's usually not a good idea to look back.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    thrshr2004 wrote: »
    I think my response to this situation is going to be that I request the title and pay now, then I will be content staying on the service desk for a little while longer. They have posted the jobs but they still need to get some bodies in there so I can train them.

My next issue becomes I have absolutely no experience dealing with situations like this nor have I ever had to negotiate anything in my life lol. Before working in IT I worked at a General Motors factory where I was just an hourly employee. There was no negotiation on anything at all.

What would be the best way to ask for this? Not necessarily about asking for the raise but asking them to give me the tittle and whatnot.

I'd be weary of just accepting the title and pay without the responsibilities. I tried something similar once until I realized that a better title and more pay wasn't really going to make me happy so long as I was still in the same place that I had been in for the past year and a half. They were willing to give me the title and pay to keep me happy and staffing their NOC but at the end of the day, they didn't have a real need for another sys admin at the time so I had to look elsewhere so that I could really advance my career and not just have the illusion that I was advancing it.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    thrshr2004 wrote: »

This is a very important part of the job process so this will be a good learning experience. Just ask to speak to your manager and then ask for what you said. Tell them that you understand their concern and that as a compromise, you would appreciate the promotion in title and pay now, however, you will still retain your duties on the helpdesk until the new staff is hired, trained and up to speed. If they are being truthful and that is really the reason they wouldnt promote you, then you should get what your asking. If they were BSing you and they cant do that, then i think you need to touch up your resume and make plans to move on.

One of the hardest things for me was not to feel loyal to my job. Understand, you need to do whats best for you and your career and your family. Part of that is increasing your skillset taking on new roles, etc. Thats your number one priority. If they will not give you that opportunity, then you need to find a place that will. because the company you work for, and any company really is looking after their best interests. When they hire someone, they want to hire someone with the most skills for the least amount of pay. They arent going to give you anything unless you ask for it. So now is the time to go ask for what is yours. Being that 2 people already left, they should be thinking, we need to give him what he wants because we CANT lose him right now and he has been very valuable and loyal to our organization.

Now, you need to be prepared to explain why you deserve the position. So make sure you have talking points as to things you have done, major projects completed, ways you have impacted the department and organization as a whole. Just go in there and ask for it. I think you will be surprised at the results. I learned this first hand during my last job negotiations. I had nevr negotiated before. But i read up on it and asked for an extra 10k on my base. Sure enough i got it. So again, if you dont ask, you wont get it. So go do it! Good luck!
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Let us know how it works out in the end. Good luck!
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□

Since there is no indication in the OP that this is a hostile work environment I see no reason to create one.

One can make their point without throwing a temper tantrum. I can assure you if one of my employees did this they would be next to be replaced as any previous trust would have been broken in one poorly planned encounter.

Good Luck with your choice. For what it's worth I would suggest a timeframe for the retraining replacement. If the company does not agree with it then I would start to look elsewhere. Is the 4th tech competent and willing to take a promotion to fill your position?
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I'm pretty sure they cannot afford to lose all 3 techs at the same time, one being the lead.

This is precisely why I would give them some grace and choose NOT to walk out the door and leave the opportunity for promotion on the table. Leaving the helpdesk can be hard. It can be even harder when you're trying to do it while jumping to another organization. If you can get your "big break" in the next few months by exercising a little patience, I'd call that a win.

In my opinion, it's perfectly reasonable for them to postpone your promotion to ensure the helpdesk continues to function. I do agree that you should have a frank discussion about time, though.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V