Options

Anybody else work in a place like this?

Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
Answering phones all day, co-workers who sleep during down time, sitting all day without interaction except for the rude user on the end of the phone, and 2 timed 15 minute breaks and lunch. I'm trying to get out of here ASAP.

Comments

• Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I take it you work at a help desk? I know it sometimes is the area you live in, but with your certs it sounds like you shouldn't have a hard time finding something else!
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Only one question. With all those certs, why haven't you moved on?
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Only one question. With all those certs, why haven't you moved on?

I believe it's my location and lack of connections. I live in Tampa and it's somewhat difficult to apply for jobs in different cities.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Success101 wrote: »
    I believe it's my location and lack of connections. I live in Tampa and it's somewhat difficult to apply for jobs in different cities.

I live in Tampa, and I can tell you right now with those certs there is no way you should be stuck in that environment. If you haven't done so, IMMEDIATELY create a LinkeIn profile with all your certs on it, and create an Indeed.com profile with resume and certifications listed prominently. Start by doing targeted keyword searches on linked in with the cert in the keyword and Tampa, FL in the city. Start applying. You should start getting some hits from recruiters. Also start reaching out to the recruiting companies that you find on Indeed job listings.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And for the millionth time its Florida again, I swear that state is a like a black hole for IT where careers go to die or never start. Every time I read about someone who is qualified as hell but can't get a job which even approaches their qualifications its always Florida.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    To be fair, there are IT jobs in florida, and I've done pretty well for myself. However pay compared to other IT hotbeds, that's another thing...
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    And for the millionth time its Florida again, I swear that state is a like a black hole for IT where careers go to die or never start. Every time I read about someone who is qualified as hell but can't get a job which even approaches their qualifications its always Florida.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What have you done to try and get out and what for and where have you been applying to?
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd be pumping out my resume like crazy. Especially if you have a decent amount of experience, you should be able to find something better (in theory).
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    markulous wrote: »
    I'd be pumping out my resume like crazy. Especially if you have a decent amount of experience, you should be able to find something better (in theory).

+1

@ OP

No offense but that sounds like a position for a high school grad with no experience.

Certifications don't = experience which is really what gets you the job, but still you should be able to advance to a regular help desk or deskside support. Something a lot more relaxed and techinical.
  • Options
    StevenP2013StevenP2013 Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ive been waiting for a thread like this to vent. September 2009, Bachelor in IT, A+, Network+, former Field Service Tech for Dell looking to hit the groud running. Started working for Siemens in Mason OH. The word or concept of moral did not exist there. It started in the interview when I was told by the supervisor he can teach anyone the software, he just needs someone with customer service experience (1st red flag). 1st day, in training room, manager of 5th floor and Morgan Stanley account comes in and says people are calling because they are having a bad day, they are in a bad mood, and expect you to fix the problem quickly. He said this place was a revolving door, no one stayed longer then 6 months, but now with the bad economy, they are staying a little longer (2nd red flag). First couple weeks asked around about everyones IT background, certs, education, none to be found (3rd red flag).

Turned out to be the call center from hell you only read about. Working for Siemens, supporting a client and there clients, so its like you have 3 boses on every call. They tracked down to the second and turned it into about 30 stats, time on call, call res time, adherance rate, on and on it went. Often times you came in and an email already went out to everyone, all breaks cancelled for today and only 30 minute lunches.

The mud slinging amongst coworkers was the worst Ive seen anywhere. They wasted so much energy arguing with each other over petty things. Basically, beggers to their own demise. They were pros at making sure they stayed right where they were and did their best to make sure everyone around them stayed right there to. By that I mean, they carried ill feelings from one day to the next and were to tired at the end of the day to go home and actually accomplish anything.

A few were there betweeen 3 and 10 years at level 1 call center. They saw me in the breakroom with books such as security+ or a cyber law book and had plenty of negative things to say about school or certs. ILL just say, I dont take career advice from someone who is at the L1 help desk for 3+ years and isnt working towards anything.

We also had a few that put more working into avaoiding work then to do the actual work in the first place. Also, had some that would stay on a call as long as they could to try and slow the pace down. Others would go into idle and back in to put themselves at the back of the call queue.

But, I will say, I am glad I got to experience it firsthand. I wouldnt have believed it if I didnt see it. It motivated me to aquire a higher level degree and more certs so I would never have to go through that again.
  • Options
    JamesRFJamesRF Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with everyone that job sounds like it hurts you more then it helps you advance your skillset/experience. If you haven't already, its time to update your resume and post it to careerbuilder, monster, dice, indeed etc.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I have a job like this but people dont sleep and we are usually help full to customers. Only way for me to get out is to get my MCSA which i'm working on along with my VCP
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like your typical "get your foot in the door" IT job. I've had a couple of those, and when your in it, your pretty miserable. Especially if you hang around too long. With your education, my advice is to get out asap. If you really hate it and cannot cope anymore, a unethical way to get out is to find a way to get fired so you can collect unemployment and find something else. Desperate times can call for desperate measures.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I live in Tampa, and I can tell you right now with those certs there is no way you should be stuck in that environment. If you haven't done so, IMMEDIATELY create a LinkeIn profile with all your certs on it, and create an Indeed.com profile with resume and certifications listed prominently. Start by doing targeted keyword searches on linked in with the cert in the keyword and Tampa, FL in the city. Start applying. You should start getting some hits from recruiters. Also start reaching out to the recruiting companies that you find on Indeed job listings.

Unfortunately, I have a LinkedIn completely filled out, but have never been contacted by any recruiters. I have a Indeed profile as well and don't receive any hits.

I am a contractor and have a TS/SCI clearance. However, it appears the management here doesn't believe in advancement. I don't want to get stuck in this position.

Edit: The only positions I can find in Tampa...Florida for that matter are paying $10-20 hourly without benefits.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    At OP, with your certs you could work for an SI, and be customer facing in the field avoiding all that BS....

Are you using all the features of LinkedIn? Like writing articles? Groups? Connect to me and feel free to connect to any of the recruiters under my account...

-Phil
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□

A few were there betweeen 3 and 10 years at level 1 call center. They saw me in the breakroom with books such as security+ or a cyber law book and had plenty of negative things to say about school or certs. ILL just say, I dont take career advice from someone who is at the L1 help desk for 3+ years and isnt working towards anything.

Former Dell FS tech here, can confirm SteveP's experience. Mine wasn't that bad though, but I had heard about such places from other Dell techs.

I thought I would add to your comment. I think this is a red flag in its own right. When a culture singles out individuals who study on lunch/breaks and alienates them...its a big red flag. I don't know if its jealousy, ignorance or fear but this was common at the last place I worked. You advanced your career by "doing time", not by going to school or cert'ing up.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Former Dell FS tech here, can confirm SteveP's experience. Mine wasn't that bad though, but I had heard about such places from other Dell techs.

I thought I would add to your comment. I think this is a red flag in its own right. When a culture singles out individuals who study on lunch/breaks and alienates them...its a big red flag. I don't know if its jealousy, ignorance or fear but this was common at the last place I worked. You advanced your career by "doing time", not by going to school or cert'ing up.

If I had to advance my career by "doing time", I would probably repeatedly impale myself on some rusty Rebar...
  • Options
    logisticalstyleslogisticalstyles Member Posts: 150 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm finally escaping a similar situation. It's a call center supporting printers. The main Client who's printers we suport is a very aggressive client that seems to want us to fail at our job. They constantly change the rules and cause so much drama between the managers and the technicians. The other help desk agents seem to be content with the job and there is no real room for advancement. We have some agents that are always eating while talking on the phone. Others holding loud conversations littered with cursing and other foul language that can be heard in the background when I'm on the phone. And now we seem to be infested with gnats always flying around in the room. All in all it a very unprofessional place. My first red flag should have been when I came in for an interview and they had me wait for over an hour because the manager was busy in another meeting although we specifically scheduled that interview for that time. I honestly was about to walk out and ditch the interview. I only stayed on long enough to get my bills in order and recover from a lay off. It's been less than a year and I'm finishing up this week and moving on to a more stimulating environment.
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought help desk/call centers were fun... I worked as tech support in a call center for a private ISP and were given whiffle ball bats bats to beat the cube walls when stress became high, had cool coworkers to go out with for a beer after work, incentives, and even beer Friday where they'd stock the break room fridge with drinks and everyone (even people working) could booze it up after 5pm. Fridays were very interesting to say the least :) It made it worth the crappy $11/hr I was paid.

The environment you're describing... I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Moving beyond that in IT often allows great flexibility in your job and life, so hopefully you're out of that type of work environment soon. I wouldn't/couldn't do it.
  • Options

Philz - I will add you on LinkedIn.

This is very true for my current situation. Our manager only has one CompTIA certification and knows hardly anything about the job and nothing about IT in general. He literally sits around and talks for the entire day, everyday. I've been here a couple of months and still don't know what exactly he does.

I should have known from the interview this wasn't going to be good. It was over the phone and I wasn't asked one technical question. I was asked if I knew what Active Directory was and how long I had worked in IT for.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Ive been waiting for a thread like this to vent. September 2009, Bachelor in IT, A+, Network+, former Field Service Tech for Dell looking to hit the groud running. Started working for Siemens in Mason OH. The word or concept of moral did not exist there. It started in the interview when I was told by the supervisor he can teach anyone the software, he just needs someone with customer service experience (1st red flag). 1st day, in training room, manager of 5th floor and Morgan Stanley account comes in and says people are calling because they are having a bad day, they are in a bad mood, and expect you to fix the problem quickly. He said this place was a revolving door, no one stayed longer then 6 months, but now with the bad economy, they are staying a little longer (2nd red flag). First couple weeks asked around about everyones IT background, certs, education, none to be found (3rd red flag).

Turned out to be the call center from hell you only read about. Working for Siemens, supporting a client and there clients, so its like you have 3 boses on every call. They tracked down to the second and turned it into about 30 stats, time on call, call res time, adherance rate, on and on it went. Often times you came in and an email already went out to everyone, all breaks cancelled for today and only 30 minute lunches.

The mud slinging amongst coworkers was the worst Ive seen anywhere. They wasted so much energy arguing with each other over petty things. Basically, beggers to their own demise. They were pros at making sure they stayed right where they were and did their best to make sure everyone around them stayed right there to. By that I mean, they carried ill feelings from one day to the next and were to tired at the end of the day to go home and actually accomplish anything.

We also had a few that put more working into avaoiding work then to do the actual work in the first place. Also, had some that would stay on a call as long as they could to try and slow the pace down. Others would go into idle and back in to put themselves at the back of the call queue.

But, I will say, I am glad I got to experience it firsthand. I wouldnt have believed it if I didnt see it. It motivated me to aquire a higher level degree and more certs so I would never have to go through that again.

This describes my experience at the Assurant help desk to a T. Exactly the same thing, and I mean absolutely exactly. Was ok experience, but I will never, ever go back to that. Ever.
  • Options
    StevenP2013StevenP2013 Member Posts: 23 ■■■□□□□□□□

Yeah, I dont understand the "doing time" logic or putting a certain timeframe on experience requirements. Most of your entry level service desk/help desk jobs or doing the same basic things a few thousand times such as: resetting PW in AD, unlocking said account in AD, map network drive, install print driver, create tickets and assign to techs in other office to perform hands on items you would much rather be doing, setup PSTs, create tickets for outtage tracking purposes, on and on. After you do each of those 100 times, whats the difference after that, such as doing them 3,000 times over a year or two. If you average 40-50 calls a day, 5-7 minutes on call, it adds up quick.

If the job requirement says 3-5 years of progressively more difficult responsibilities, I can appreciate that. But if it just says 3-5 years experience... I know some guys that have 10 years experience answering phones doing basic things. They do not have 10 years experience.

Also, in my first week there, we had customer service training. One of the 8 year veterans of answering the phones came in and gave his input on being careful what you say and how sensitive the mics are. I remember my eyes rolling in the back of my head, thinking, congrats..your an 8 year veteran of answering the phones.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »

Had no idea so many people on this site lived in Tampa. I agree, even though FL gets a bad wrap for IT jobs, I've been able to do pretty well myself. Linkedin and dice have been a big help.
  • Options
    certoicertoi Member Posts: 28 ■■■□□□□□□□
    South Florida, Fort Lauderdale here and let me tell you this; the job market sucks here and does not look like its getting better any time soon for us IT guru guys. I have been job hunting for the past 6 months and still no good job.I am working for a MSP here and the pay and benefits are crap with no room for advancement/growth. I have over 10 years of experience with certs to back it and can build a server cluster with my eyes closed but all I am seeing are jobs that are paying $15 and under with 4 years degree required, and the ones that are 55K+ per year require you the candidate to be an expert in the 20+ software they listed and want you to be oncall 24/7. If you want to know what the death of IT jobs look like then come to south Florida. If there is even a great job position opening at a good company, just expect to be candidate #200 and pray that the hiring manager find your resume in the inbox pile.
  • Options
    certoi wrote: »
    South Florida, Fort Lauderdale here and let me tell you this; the job market sucks here and does not look like its getting better any time soon for us IT guru guys. I have been job hunting for the past 6 months and still no good job.I am working for a MSP here and the pay and benefits are crap with no room for advancement/growth. I have over 10 years of experience with certs to back it and can build a server cluster with my eyes closed but all I am seeing are jobs that are paying $15 and under with 4 years degree required, and the ones that are 55K+ per year require you the candidate to be an expert in the 20+ software they listed and want you to be oncall 24/7. If you want to know what the death of IT jobs look like then come to south Florida. If there is even a great job position opening at a good company, just expect to be candidate #200 and pray that the hiring manager find your resume in the inbox pile.

You need to get a clearance and find a base to work on. Seems to me they will hire anyone as long as you have the right connections.

Some cities are just more suited towards technology. However, Florida in a whole isn't IT friendly from my experience. I would not mind moving at all, but the problem is finding a job somewhere like Atlanta when there are already so many qualified candidates there.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Not sure where you are looking In Tampa but I get around 20-30 calls/emails per week based on my LinkedIn profile for Orlando/Tampa positions. Florida has a lot of IT jobs as long as you have the qualifications for the position. The area I just moved to literally hired over 100 candidates in various IT positions with an average salary of $70,000.

If it were me I would reach out to a competent head hunter (Randstadt, TekSystems, etc) and have them help you with your search. Many times the position you may be seeking isn't posted on Dice/Indeed/LinkedIn/Monster. Many large firms go the contract to hire route to limit liability and exposure.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    down77 wrote: »
    Not sure where you are looking In Tampa but I get around 20-30 calls/emails per week based on my LinkedIn profile for Orlando/Tampa positions. Florida has a lot of IT jobs as long as you have the qualifications for the position. The area I just moved to literally hired over 100 candidates in various IT positions with an average salary of $70,000.

If it were me I would reach out to a competent head hunter (Randstadt, TekSystems, etc) and have them help you with your search. Many times the position you may be seeking isn't posted on Dice/Indeed/LinkedIn/Monster. Many large firms go the contract to hire route to limit liability and exposure.

No offense but you have a CCIE and many more certifications, you could live on the moon and still get 20-30 calls/emails a week. Your experience is not a good example of the state of the IT job market in Florida, you are the exception due to your qualifications. I guess if I ever want to live in Florida and have a decent IT job I better get a CCIE minimum otherwise I am screwed.
  • Options
    Hammer80 wrote: »
    No offense but you have a CCIE and many more certifications, you could live on the moon and still get 20-30 calls/emails a week. Your experience is not a good example of the state of the IT job market in Florida, you are the exception due to your qualifications. I guess if I ever want to live in Florida and have a decent IT job I better get a CCIE minimum otherwise I am screwed.

No offense taken, but I had great traction before obtaining my CCIE and yes, my experience and resume have a bit to do with that. It's no hidden secret that qualified candidates are, many times, not considered due to the way they present themselves on paper. As a hiring manager I want to know less about the individual devices you manage and more about your key accomplishments and skills that you can bring to the table. I need to know in the first 30 seconds what sets you apart from the other 99 resumes I have to read before making a decision on which candidates to interview.

Right now Dice has 714 positions listed for Tampa. If we expand the search radius to central Florida and add education, government, and consulting positions (Cisco, EMC, NetApp, VMware, etc) you can find well over 1800 IT related positions in Orlando/Tampa/St Pete. My point is, there is not a lack of jobs in Florida by any mean. As of 2012 Florida actually ranked #2 behind Texas in Job Availability/Creation (Source: Dept of Economic Opportunity).

My point to the OP is that if they are having difficulty, work with a qualified recruiter who can help in their search. A valued recruiter will help polish your resume to be presentable to decision makers and, many times, identify opportunities that we weren't sure existed in our area.
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    No offense taken, but I had great traction before obtaining my CCIE and yes, my experience and resume have a bit to do with that. It's no hidden secret that qualified candidates are, many times, not considered due to the way they present themselves on paper. As a hiring manager I want to know less about the individual devices you manage and more about your key accomplishments and skills that you can bring to the table. I need to know in the first 30 seconds what sets you apart from the other 99 resumes I have to read before making a decision on which candidates to interview.

Right now Dice has 714 positions listed for Tampa. If we expand the search radius to central Florida and add education, government, and consulting positions (Cisco, EMC, NetApp, VMware, etc) you can find well over 1800 IT related positions in Orlando/Tampa/St Pete. My point is, there is not a lack of jobs in Florida by any mean. As of 2012 Florida actually ranked #2 behind Texas in Job Availability/Creation (Source: Dept of Economic Opportunity).

My point to the OP is that if they are having difficulty, work with a qualified recruiter who can help in their search. A valued recruiter will help polish your resume to be presentable to decision makers and, many times, identify opportunities that we weren't sure existed in our area.

Great point. I know many times recruiter's will want to have you come in for a quick sit down and not to mention the actual interview with a company. My current role is extremely picky about taking time off and I don't want to lose the only source of income I currently have. There's only so many doctor's appointments one can have.
  • Options
    Success101 wrote: »
    Great point. I know many times recruiter's will want to have you come in for a quick sit down and not to mention the actual interview with a company. My current role is extremely picky about taking time off and I don't want to lose the only source of income I currently have. There's only so many doctor's appointments one can have.

These days many recruiters will sit down and talk with you over lunch or dinner. Save the personal time for when its truly needed.