Options

Anybody else work in a place like this?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Success101Success101 Member Posts: 132
    Anybody have any other advice to offer? I have created a Dice profile, indeed, and have a LinkedIn. I am applying for jobs on Craigslist and from job boards. I really want to get out of here ASAP.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can you PM me your LinkedIn? You can also add me via the link in my profile. I'd like to look at it. I get at least 2-3 leads each week. LinkedIn is like a resume if you ask me. There are certain formats and key points that will make yours stand out as opposed to others.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Can you PM me your LinkedIn? You can also add me via the link in my profile. I'd like to look at it. I get at least 2-3 leads each week. LinkedIn is like a resume if you ask me. There are certain formats and key points that will make yours stand out as opposed to others.

PM sent
  • Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    certoi wrote: »
    South Florida, Fort Lauderdale here and let me tell you this; the job market sucks here and does not look like its getting better any time soon for us IT guru guys. I have been job hunting for the past 6 months and still no good job.I am working for a MSP here and the pay and benefits are crap with no room for advancement/growth. I have over 10 years of experience with certs to back it and can build a server cluster with my eyes closed but all I am seeing are jobs that are paying $15 and under with 4 years degree required, and the ones that are 55K+ per year require you the candidate to be an expert in the 20+ software they listed and want you to be oncall 24/7. If you want to know what the death of IT jobs look like then come to south Florida. If there is even a great job position opening at a good company, just expect to be candidate #200 and pray that the hiring manager find your resume in the inbox pile.

Go West my friend. California and Washington State usually pay good IT salaries. Texas pays a little less. Florida in general has a low pay structure, but the cost of living I believe is also less.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here are some suggestions after viewing your LinkedIn profile. You should have access to my profile to see what I have in mind.

1) Add a picture. This makes you a little more personable and may give a sense of relief to someone that is reviewing your profile (well groomed, no facial piercings, beard to the floor, etc).

2) There is no introduction, objective, or anything to speak to your skills, work ethic, experiences, etc. Write up a few lines that detail your strong points and what you'd like to do and what you can bring a prospective employer.

3) Remove the language portion. Anyone can deduce you can speak English by virtue of your location and profile. Stating you have a limited proficiency in Japanese does nothing for you except take up space.

4) Listing your cerfications is fine, but I'd recommend listing them in order of importance, placing their validity dates on them, and the license number as well. They way they are presented now just comes off as a list that you picked out.

5) You have 0 written or listed about your experience or previous employers. How is a potential employer going to gauge your experience or skills? You could be a recently graduated high school student from all they can see.

6) For your education, elaborate on your UMUC studies. When did you start? When will you finish? What is your area of study?

It needs work, but once you have it up and going, I'm sure you will at least get more leads than you are now. The way it is presented now makes it look like a bunch of semi-related IT stuff that you just threw together without much regard.

How about your resume? PM me that, we can look at that too...
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    I spoke with a recruiter today and he said that majority of the entry and mid level server/network jobs are being taken by MSP's. At least in Tampa. According to him, security and senior engineers are in demand.
  • Options
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Here are some suggestions after viewing your LinkedIn profile. You should have access to my profile to see what I have in mind.

1) Add a picture. This makes you a little more personable and may give a sense of relief to someone that is reviewing your profile (well groomed, no facial piercings, beard to the floor, etc).

2) There is no introduction, objective, or anything to speak to your skills, work ethic, experiences, etc. Write up a few lines that detail your strong points and what you'd like to do and what you can bring a prospective employer.

3) Remove the language portion. Anyone can deduce you can speak English by virtue of your location and profile. Stating you have a limited proficiency in Japanese does nothing for you except take up space.

4) Listing your cerfications is fine, but I'd recommend listing them in order of importance, placing their validity dates on them, and the license number as well. They way they are presented now just comes off as a list that you picked out.

5) You have 0 written or listed about your experience or previous employers. How is a potential employer going to gauge your experience or skills? You could be a recently graduated high school student from all they can see.

6) For your education, elaborate on your UMUC studies. When did you start? When will you finish? What is your area of study?

It needs work, but once you have it up and going, I'm sure you will at least get more leads than you are now. The way it is presented now makes it look like a bunch of semi-related IT stuff that you just threw together without much regard.

How about your resume? PM me that, we can look at that too...

Most of that is already listed on my profile and I do have a picture. I think my settings are where you have to be a connection in order to view it. I haven't accepted your request yet. Perhaps I need to change my privacy settings to open to everyone...?
  • Options
    aegisroseaegisrose Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've just moved from Central Florida... And it's a DAMN tough job market (as you said, Florida overall is). If you can practice your mobility -as my econ professor used to say- get to Austin or Houston ASAP. I'm in Austin right now, and the job market is looking for you.
    As far as calls from recruiters, most of my leads have been coming in from careerbuilder. Also try glassdoorDOTcom~ it's FANTASTIC for job postings and getting an idea of salaries.

I haven't landed anything yet, but I just started half-heartedly looking since i'm studying for the 70-646. With your certs and experience, you should consider looking at general "IT Manager" jobs for smaller companies. I had a great gig in Houston for a middle sized company. I did Tier 1 - 3 and had a ton of autonomy. Which segues me to Robert Half Technology. I had a fantastic experience with them... sure, they will want you to come in for a sit-down, but it was well worth my time. They landed me that Houston job.

Don't lose heart!!! Just buckle down and attack those job postings!!!

PS: have you thought about Helpdesk Management? I get hits on the radar for manager jobs from time to time.
  • Options
    lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This sounds like my current situation. I am definitely burnt out with the Service Desk. I recently transition from the military. This job promised that I would being working with servers and all I do is phone support icon_sad.gif. I took a huge pay cut due to wanting to move away from installation and more towards administration. Eventually I would love to move toward security, but its tough. Not a lot of people would risk having someone who has never had hands on anything outside the bounds of a home lab or classroom setting.
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm having this situation right now. Just working on finishing my degrees and I'm no impressive candidate, but I've found several recruiters (some contacted me and vice versa) and they have shown me several interesting options. I've applied to some, gotten second or third interviews and even a couple of offers (turned down because of pay or hours or part time). If nothing else, you can get your foot in the door for some interview practice (people like us arent always the best socially or over an interview table)
  • Options
    PsychoData91PsychoData91 Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, you need to edit your privacy settings or a lot of it is hidden by default. This link https://www.linkedin.com/uas/login?session_redirect=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Elinkedin%2Ecom%2Fprofile%2Fpublic-profile-settings&fromSignIn= will present you a log in for LinkedIn that redirects you to your privacy settings