Options

Upset and insulted after mid year review, not sure if I am overreacting

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
So 3 months ago from tomorrow the 15th, I was pulled aside by my supervisor and told that my next review I'd be getting bumped up a level on the support desk, because I obviously deserved it. Since then I've been busting my ass double time studying outside my work to be able to handle a larger variety of issues, but hitting the tickets extra hard as well to not only help out my team, but to help him look like a better supervisor to his superior.

So about two weeks ago someone was highered at a higher level than me (the level I was supposed to get promoted to), into a network voice / data engineering role, who hasn't done any troubleshooting at all - He just knew someone who the hiring manager has a lot of respect for. So as an example of his troubleshooting ineptitude, I asked him to do a traceroute to an IP address that was unreachable and he needed to know:

A. Where to run the command, B. What the syntax was, C. What IP address to ping (yes, I am serious), D. What the output meant, E. Why the output was relevant to troubleshooting a connectivity problem from that server, F. If it was okay to close out the command prompt without exiting out of it with a command (AGAIN, YES I AM SERIOUS).

So needless to say the raise / promotion I was promised, completely unprovoked 3 months ago, was basically chalked up to 'tough **** til your year end review'. After which I walked back to my desk shocked that he went back on that cause it was a completely unprovoked verbal agreement from him 3 months prior, and had the new guy ask me 15 questions immediately, one for each step of setting up a profile in Call Manager and Unity - and my eye twitched the entire last hour of the day.

I don't know if I should talk to my supervisor, I really want to, but what the hell do I say? Or do I just update my resume and start interviewing again? Did they hire someone with absolutely NO EXPERIENCE AT ALL at a level above me, and that's why I didn't get my f'ing promotion??????????????????

I am so god damn pissed, I seriously want to just interview for the next week or two solid and run out the f'ing door. Am I overreacting to this? I honestly have taken such a hit to my morale, I don't even want to train the new guy another damn thing, or hardly work a ticket at this point. I am so pissed, grrrrahhh.

Comments

• Options
    daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I feel your pain. I tried to get a promotion a few months ago and wrote up my accomplishments based on their input,, and management told me to wait until my review. Well my review came and when I asked my immediate manager about it, he didn't even know about it! Mentally I have already checked out, and I am considering leaving the country for a year to do some contracting work and catch up on my bills. This economy is just the pits and im really tired of it. Hope things work out for you
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Update your resume and get it out there immediately. Its time to move on. Once you're gone, your employer will realize the mistake they made but it will be too late. In the meantime, you need to look after your best interests.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Get outa there as quick as you can, BUT, do not burn any bridges. You never know who knows who!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    So I really want to grab my supervisor in the morning for a quick meeting, and go over the fact that he promised me this promotion months ago, because he told me I fully deserved it. Does anyone think that would be any bit productive? I am about 99% sure he is aware he made that agreement and is just backing out of it on me, but I feel like maybe if I remind him of that and let him know that I am extremely frustrated in him backing out maybe that would do something, however it's probably written in stone.

If nothing else, it'd possibly make him feel like an a-hole for about 5 minutes for blowing smoke up my ass, like he did today during the review trying to be enthusiastic about how whopping of a raise I have coming in another 6 months.

Should I even try talking to him about it? Do you think it's even worth the fight? Or just update the resume and bite my tongue until I'm out the door?
  • Options
    bigdogzbigdogz Member Posts: 881 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the world of motivation!!! You are on the land of "Sometimes it's who you know" !!!

IMHO you should just put your time in and get out ASAP. You may want to start taking a backseat to your new co-worker. You can train him on the infrastructure but that's it. Do not show any attitude and move on. Doing their job is just promoting the behavior. It is just simple respect of the job and responsibilities. If you find this prevalent in the company you my want to just keep quite and get out before the boat sinks.

Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    subsooner711subsooner711 Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear man.

If I were in your situation I don't think I'd say anything until I had some other jobs lined up. Not that I think they would fire you for asking, but you have a bit more leverage on the situation if you have a way out if the talk doesn't go as planned.

Obviously that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If I were promised something and it didn't happen within the specified time frame I would definitely be asking questions politely. I would expect some BS answer at least, but nonetheless an answer. Once you are fed some crap, then start planning your next move. Although I also advocate not burning bridges, I have to say that one of the most satisfying experiences of my professional life has been screwing my previous boss by departing with little notice.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm sure the answer is set in stone at this point that I'm not getting my bump, the only reason to bring it up anymore is to see if they even give a **** that they lied to my face, or if they the least bit remorseful which I highly doubt.

I really regret not bring it up during my review, but I kind of abruptly brought up my promotion and it was immediately stamped out saying no one gets raises until the end of the year. Why would you tell me otherwise, then **** a brand new guy COMPLETELY to troubleshooting on me to train, who is hired AT THE LEVEL YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PROMOTE ME TOO!

I am still just completely burnt by this, I feel like I need to say something or my head will explode. And Cyberguypr, I can definitely imagine, it has already crossed my mind how quickly that ship would sink if I walked away tomorrow in the heat of a discussion about lying to my face about raises and promotions.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I know how you feel, it's horrible when people who don't have a clue get your job / promotion... Just the way the world works :/

Start looking elsewhere and leave on acceptable terms so you can use the experience / reference..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    pandoso360pandoso360 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear what happened to you.
    Sometimes thats how the support-desk world works, managers are happy to make (really often) promises they know beforehand they cant/wont deliver in an effort to make the employee work harder (a horrible practice by the way).
    But whatever achivements and knowledge you gained because of that, its yours to take away and will surely open better doors for you in the future
  • Options
    LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I feel for you as well. Your manager should talk to you, not you talking to the manager. If your manager do not know how to manage the team spirit of his team member, then he equally does not deserve your attention. What you experience is a sign of poor company culture. One of such signes would be Management prefer to hire external for higher positions instead of promoting exisitng capable ones.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ande0255 wrote: »
    Yeah I'm sure the answer is set in stone at this point that I'm not getting my bump, the only reason to bring it up anymore is to see if they even give a **** that they lied to my face, or if they the least bit remorseful which I highly doubt.

I really regret not bring it up during my review, but I kind of abruptly brought up my promotion and it was immediately stamped out saying no one gets raises until the end of the year. Why would you tell me otherwise, then **** a brand new guy COMPLETELY to troubleshooting on me to train, who is hired AT THE LEVEL YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO PROMOTE ME TOO!

I am still just completely burnt by this, I feel like I need to say something or my head will explode. And Cyberguypr, I can definitely imagine, it has already crossed my mind how quickly that ship would sink if I walked away tomorrow in the heat of a discussion about lying to my face about raises and promotions.

I think it is good you took a moment to vent, but it is now time to pull up your big boy or girl pants and get on with work. The rule of life, like or lump it is, "if it ain't in writing, it didn't happen."

I do empathize with your frustration, but carrying on such is not going to make matters better, and could possibly come back to bite you further.

IF you want to sit down professionally and discuss this with your boss or HR people, go ahead, but little will likely change. It may even put you in a worse position come the next time there is an opening in the organization. Many times, jobs, come down to how well people get along with one another (hence the ole boys club that excludes so many females), and if you just are not one of the fun people, those in charge will leave you in your place. The unfortunate part, is there is no way to 'fix' this, the solution is to move on and grow elsewhere, or stay put, learn more, continue to show a good track record so that you you gain a favorable recommendation when you do leave.

cheer up! You have a job, and the best way to find a job is when you already have one, so get your things in order and within six months move on!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    I feel your pain on this one. After all of this ask yourself; even if they did finally give you the raise you wanted... Is this really a company you want to work for? If the answer is no, it's time to start thinking of other opportunities. I've worked for companies like this and the best thing you can really do is just leave with little notice but be polite and professional about it. Give it 110% until your last day and do your best so when you leave they'll know what kind of person they lost.
  • Options
    JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    I had a similar situation happen to me a few years back. I decided I had waited long enough at this place (2 years) and it was time to move on. Now I'm working as a Network Engineer designing and building a regional Service Provider network. Sometimes you just have to move on to move up.
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    The rule of life, like or lump it is, "if it ain't in writing, it didn't happen."
    This 1000%. I read the whole thread and that was the thing that stood out for me the most. They can say anything, and can just forget something just as easily but if it's in writing they won't forget. A life lesson learned - the hard way (that's the way that works BTW!).

You come across as smart so I don't think you will have any problems if you decide to jump ship. Just dot the I's and cross your T's - i.e. keep the wheels in motion, work to rule, it's not your job to train a "superior" and when you are ready hit the next opportunity.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    What they've done is just show you how little they think of you or value you. I'd say if you can afford to, put in the notice now and move on. If not, then immediately updated your resume, put it out there everywhere, start looking on Indeed and other boards, and contacting every recruiter in your city.

To add, don't burn the bridges per se, but just know that dropping your two weeks on them in short order, when they aren't expecting it and while the new guy knows next to nothing of how to do the job, will be enough satisfaction to you and will bite them in the rear. I had the satisfaction of doing that in March and it was a GREAT feeling.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can always ask your supervisor about the status of the promotion he talked with you about. Ask him what the current time frame of it is. If you can't wait that long for a maybe, start looking for a new job.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I can definitely imagine, it has already crossed my mind how quickly that ship would sink if I walked away tomorrow in the heat of a discussion about lying to my face about raises and promotions.

It had been my experience that this never really works out in the end. Companies will simply put someone else in the spot and move on. Sort of how they put someone incompetent into a role that you desired.

I have not entered the IT industry yet but this is common in all of the working environments I have been in. The workers you can't live without up and leave and the company fills the gap with someone else.

I believe this is why so many members recommend switching jobs to gain promotions. It gives you better control of your opportunities. I enjoy reading your posts and have no doubt you will be successful. Don't confront your boss just to make a point. If you want to be proactive discuss with him the possibility that they are going to have two people filling that role and maybe you are still in line for a promotion.

Whatever you do don't quit. That will hurt you not them. Stay employed and move on your schedule. Many people take jobs that don't fit them just because it's still a paycheck. There is no reason at all for you to put yourself in that situation.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    ChitownjediChitownjedi Member Posts: 578 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Priston wrote: »
    You can always ask your supervisor about the status of the promotion he talked with you about. Ask him what the current time frame of it is. If you can't wait that long for a maybe, start looking for a new job.

Yeah even frame it with "I am pursuing additional education, in response to that possible promotion we discuss, and just want to get a sense of the ETA in case you wanted to add an additional skill as well to help support that transition"

Really twist that knife...
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    After my last lay off I learned not to expect much from employers. I recommend to explore your next possible position that will help build your career with a new a company. I find its easier to explore other career possibilities while working.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    RHELRHEL Member Posts: 195 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hate to say it, but this stuff happens all the time. Assuming one meets minimum qualifications (even bare minimum), a lot of it comes down to who you know, the impression you make (personality, charisma), and how you can talk yourself up.

People with seniority in a company often get the shaft in this scenario; they've been there a while, they know the environment well, much better than some new person, and they've paid their dues. Yet, those people often go unnoticed, are last to receive the promotions, and will inevitably witness less experienced people get hired on making as much or more than them. It really sucks.

I gave up waiting/trying/questioning about promotions a while ago. I realized you end up ahead being that new guy, not the senior guy. If you're at a point where you're being overlooked and the organization is not recognizing your value by addressing your concerns and attempting to retain you, perhaps it is time to move on. I have gotten substantial raises (65% in some cases) and promotions following this logic.

Also, keep in mind that while the new dude may not be as technically savvy in the areas you've noticed, he may have had something else that stood out to hiring managers. Perhaps he's skilled in other areas, is highly educated, or maybe he's just well connected. I'm new in my job, and I am now the new guy. Yes, I know I'm that *******. I'm not incompetent by any means, but I did beat out other candidates with over 10 years more experience than myself, who were also referrals from my current team members. I know that must piss people off, at least initially. That's how it goes though... Maybe you need to be the new guy.
  • Options
    Thank you for the responses, I really do appreciate it. I decided I'm not even going to bring it up to my supervisor again, as I'm probably going to get immediately angry, and probably put myself in a position of quitting / getting fired. I'm going to update my resume and not let any more interviews slip by, as I've skipped a few direct hire interviews out of loyalty to my company - that time is completely over.

Though this company does pay for certs and I may get a raise in pay when I complete my VCP, I no longer feel any sort of guilt for looking outside the company for opportunities, and will continue busting my butt so when I do leave they feel it. Not going to make any drastic moves, but I will definitely be actively seeking new opportunities, and they can continue to pay for my $250 CCNP tests while I plan exit strategy icon_thumright.gif

Thanks again for the words, as I woke up today still ticked off, this has really soured me toward this company.
  • Options
    ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As others have already said, I feel your pain mate. I know exactly how you feel and I must say, you're making the right decision. Your mindset is dead on! I promise this storm will pass, and you will look back at this moment and laugh. You'll be laughing as you look around and realize you're in the job, in the role, with the pay that you should of been in. And it will be so sweet! Head up mate!!
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • Options
    DrB1986DrB1986 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dude, from my personal experience I would leave, dont burn any bridges but leave as soon as you can and find somewhere else. Personally it sucks, but to be honest and straight your company does not give a **** about you, thats the state of corporations these days, its why I dont believe in corporate loyalty anymore, 3 years with NMCI taught me that the hard way.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not going to be running out the door, but I will no longer be dismissing potential opportunities with other companies, and will keep putting my best foot forward in terms of work and growing my skills studying. The only thing passing me over for the promotion did was alleviate me of any shred of guilt I may have had about leaving this position, as I know it would have a huge negative impact on my team, but any consideration of that is complete gone at this point.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    The only thing passing me over for the promotion did was alleviate me of any shred of guilt I may have had about leaving this position, as I know it would have a huge negative impact on my team, but any consideration of that is complete gone at this point.

I was with my previous firm for 8 years. That was about 3 years too long as I was dealing with the same feelings you were. I was loyal to the company and only considered internal opportunities. I finally got it through my head and realized they don't give a single care about developing talent internally and have no loyalty to their internal candidates, even ones who are top performers and keep learning new skills and pursuing education and certs. It's a tough reality to face sometimes but you are much better off when it finally hits you. I'm glad to see you've made that breakthrough, and you'll feel amazing when that new offer comes through one day and you can give your two weeks notice.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am basically going to repeat what every one else has said. Pack your bags and move on. I know how you feel about loyalty to a company. I actually feel that way about my company now because they do hire within and train us and so on. They push for us to make ourselves more valuable to company and yourself. The problem is I have been in this field for 20 something years and I have always known to jump ship from 3 - 5 yrs. I do not place my trust in anyone except my family and myself.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I were you I would not mention it again, just pretend everything is fine while preparing to leave. By the end of the year I have new certification and it's adios.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    You should talk to your boss about it, but you are probably going to need to find a new job if you want to move up.
  • Options
    After thinking about it, there's no reason to even bring it up again, I'm sure it isn't going to do anything constructive in terms of getting me the promotion he told me I would get. At this point I'm just going to keep working and studying for my certifications, if I stumble upon a really good opportunity I am no longer just going to let it go by the way side, but I think sticking around for 6 more months would be good in two ways - I would have a higher salary to negotiate pay at any new company I may go to and also have a year end bonus in my bank account.