Options

Upset and insulted after mid year review, not sure if I am overreacting

2»

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, it sucks. But at this point in your career especially, you move up by moving out, most of the time.

Try not to let this setback affect your productivity at your current job, keep working on those certs, and don't be afraid to at least passively pursue another position for which you feel you are qualified.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    ande0255 wrote: »
    After thinking about it, there's no reason to even bring it up again,....but I think sticking around for 6 more months would be good in two ways - I would have a higher salary to negotiate pay at any new company I may go to and also have a year end bonus in my bank account.

Not that my opinion matters, but I think you have made a very professional decision. Use this to your benefit, if nothing else, you are better prepared for this sort of conversation done the road, and who knows, they may still have something in store for you? My guess, they simply forgot, and like many managers, made a decision/discussion public before it should have been made public. It may have even been something as simply as that you were flattered when you first heard the suggestion, but did not respond verbally/non verbally with any type of interest, that they simply passed the option over.

It could also mean, that you are valuable to them where you are currently located, and they need you there for the time being.

Like you stated, no reason to grow roots, but no reason to overreact in the workplace on this matter. Get your tools in order, resume current, keep doing your best and another opportunity will present either outside this company or maybe inside.

Best wishes on this situation!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RHEL wrote: »
    I hate to say it, but this stuff happens all the time. Assuming one meets minimum qualifications (even bare minimum), a lot of it comes down to who you know, the impression you make (personality, charisma), and how you can talk yourself up.

People with seniority in a company often get the shaft in this scenario; they've been there a while, they know the environment well, much better than some new person, and they've paid their dues. Yet, those people often go unnoticed, are last to receive the promotions, and will inevitably witness less experienced people get hired on making as much or more than them. It really sucks.

I gave up waiting/trying/questioning about promotions a while ago. I realized you end up ahead being that new guy, not the senior guy. If you're at a point where you're being overlooked and the organization is not recognizing your value by addressing your concerns and attempting to retain you, perhaps it is time to move on. I have gotten substantial raises (65% in some cases) and promotions following this logic.

Also, keep in mind that while the new dude may not be as technically savvy in the areas you've noticed, he may have had something else that stood out to hiring managers. Perhaps he's skilled in other areas, is highly educated, or maybe he's just well connected. I'm new in my job, and I am now the new guy. Yes, I know I'm that *******. I'm not incompetent by any means, but I did beat out other candidates with over 10 years more experience than myself, who were also referrals from my current team members. I know that must piss people off, at least initially. That's how it goes though... Maybe you need to be the new guy.

It's time to leave. Remember, it's always easier to get a job when you have a job. Once you have a signed letter of employment, give your two weeks notice. Just be polite and professional. You don't want to burn any bridges because the IT world is a small world.
  • Options
    LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    1. Don't help person that was hired over you
    2. Get a new job
    3. Quit with very little notification
    4. Don't worry about burning bridges ( they didn't value you properly anyway )
    5. As far as references that is what friends are for to play the role of co-workers
    6. No time or quarter given to a company that disrespects hard workers like that
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • Options
    exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is horrible advice:
    LeifAlire wrote: »
    2. Get a new job
    5. As far as references that is what friends are for to play the role of co-workers
    6. No time or quarter given to a company that disrespects hard workers like that

I see two possibilities here: 1) your manage had no idea about the new guy coming in and is ashamed/embarrassed by what happened and could be as upset about it as you as he made a promise. 2) Your manager is a dirt-bag and made an empty promise to motivate you.

I have experienced both myself. Personally, I would bring it up with the manager. Mainly to find out if its #1 or #2, I'd react professionally and calmly to either.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    After considering bringing it up, I am very confident that management from my supervisor to the actual manager would not admit any wrong doing, and it would only serve to upset me more than I already am. To this moment I am having a hard time even being here, yesterday I barely spoke to anyone including my team members, and today I'm battling not to do the same.

Whether it's #1 or #2 doesn't entirely matter to me, cause either way I got shafted, and management knows that they did me like that. The only saving grace to the situation is if they put off a promotion until I pass my VCP, as the current manager likes to give pay bumps for passing certifications relevant to the job, so it is possible that they are waiting until I pass that to give me the bump so they aren't giving me two raises within a month or so of eachother. I highly, highly doubt it, but it's possible.

Either way, I'm not going to make a move to particularly screw anyone over, but I will definitely be looking at external opportunities in a different light from this point forward.
  • Options
    LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    At the end of the day you have to take care of yourself. When/If you leave that company they will still continue to operate and function. The only ones that view you truly as invaluable is your family/children.
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    LeifAlire wrote: »
    2. Get a new job

This sound's like the advice of a high school student!
    Be proud of who you are and you will have no need for this list.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I would lay it all out with your supervisor while simultaneously planning your exit strategy.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?