Options

What I have learned in IT

2»

Comments

• Options
    AlexsmithAlexsmith Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've had co-workers chastise me as well when I spent my lunch break prepping for the CCNA certification instead of eating with them when I was doing desktop support. Some co-workers get comfortable in their positions and don't want to see you move up.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    N2IT wrote: »
    Just a couple of bullets I wanted to throw out there that I have picked up over the course of 10 years or so.
    • The type of work means very little, but the people you work with and you boss make all the difference in the world.
    • While pay is a big factor, making decisions solely on that will lead you in a bad place.
    • Nothing is as good as it seems
    • Nothing is as bad as it seems
    • The thought of failing is usually worse than actually failing
    • Not knowing how to do something is okay
    • Studying certifications without actually having real world knowledge leads to declartive knowledge, but very little emparitve knowledge.
    • Setting a goal and meeting it is far greater than trying to pick off low hanging fruit type certifications. One large respected certification > a bunch of low to mid level certifications
    • More is not always more, and sometimes less is more
    • Keeping your education aligned with your experience is the golden rule in IT. (From my perspective)
    • Don't let fear and doubt influence your decisions.
    • When communication stops bad things start happening.
    • There is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    • There is nothing more permanent than a temporary solution

And few things harder to understand than an undocumented work-around.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Alexsmith wrote: »
    I've had co-workers chastise me as well when I spent my lunch break prepping for the CCNA certification instead of eating with them when I was doing desktop support. Some co-workers get comfortable in their positions and don't want to see you move up.

I got that crap too when I was reading a SQL query book. These jerks had been coding for years ~10 - 20 depending on which yahoo would come by. It was almost like they saw you as a threat because you were invading their space. The only people who didn't seem to get pissy about it or negative were they fully competent employees. Aka the rock stars, they were always very encouraging. The average worker always seemed to get upset or have some off comment to say. Either that or they would come over and talk about how they felt certifications are worthless.

The most pathetic part was I wasn't even studying for the certification I was studying to learn the material to become better at using the more advance aggregate functions in SQL, including Windowing etc.